The Smoking Ban

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

The Smoking Ban

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:20 am

I suppose this reflects more on our English based members, but as it's been exactly a year since the smoking ban, how much or how little has this affected you.

It might surprise you to know that I rarely go out to pubs, but on the odd occasion I have done so since the ban, I have been most pleased, particularly going to Rileys and being able to see the other end of the pool table!

Although I haven't made any attempt to give up smoking myself, it certainly makes a difference when I am out and about, and I tend to smoke less.

So what do you think?

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: The Smoking Ban - 1 Year On

Postby ozgooner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:27 am

they are in affect in oz too mate . there is seperate smoking areas in all pubs and clubs , in these areas no food is to be served , no entertainment (music) and there must be no clear view of the telly (a bloke can't even watch the horses whilst he smokes anymore)

"I started clapping myself , until i realised i was Sunderlands manager" - Peter Reid admires a Dennis Bergkamp finish
ozgooner
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:28 am

Where's that "Meh" smile gone!

We rarely go out due to not having a babysitter now. But on the first occasion we did I bloody hated having to come out of the pubs and nightclub for a cig. Plus it was winter too...

It hasn't affected me too much but if I was going out on a night then it would have done.

Would be interesting to see the non smokers views though.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 am

I have never smoked, I tried it once for a few weeks but I couldn't see any attraction to it. I think that the ban is a good thing but I can certainly see that it must be very unpopular with smokers.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:14 am

rogerthornhill wrote:I have never smoked, I tried it once for a few weeks but I couldn't see any attraction to it. I think that the ban is a good thing but I can certainly see that it must be very unpopular with smokers.

Well, as a smoker for more years than I care to remember, I can only say it's a good thing. Walking into a cloud of smoke at a pub is/was quite vile!

I don't smoke in the house, never have done, so going outside is second nature. This is more for the sake of the children, but also for our own good.

Not to mention that my asthma is bad enough as it is......

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby rogerthornhill » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:17 am

SE13 wrote:Not to mention that my asthma is bad enough as it is......
I'm always amazed that people continue smoking when they have any respiratory problem. But being a non-smoker I don't suppose that I can appreciate how strong the addiction can be.
rogerthornhill
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

its a good thing, smell more sweat n farts n clubs lol, but they are cuttin that out by pumpin nice smells out in some places

i used to hate sittin near smokers, pissed me off when they blow smoke my way, and you used to go home stinkin of the shit, plus why should i, who never have touched a cig risk passive smokin because someone else decides to spark up nearby

its a good thing all round

imo
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby rachel83 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:14 pm

Some states have adopted a no smoking in public buildings law, too.

I agree with ab_fab. I'm not a smoker, and the fact that if I wanted to go to bars I was subjected to second hand smoke was disgusting. And when I lived at home, if I went out with some friends anywhere, when I came home my parents used to think I had been smoking because I smelled of the stuff.

They used to have separate "smoking areas" at restaurants here, but what's the point when all you have is half a wall separating the smoking and non-smoking sections? The smoke ends up in the non-smoking section anyway...
rachel83
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby drama » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:27 pm

They do have he same ban here, but pubs/bar have been given the option of either bing a smokers one or not, unfortunately, the ones who made their joints non-smokers suffered sales, apparently most people love smoking while having their drink....
Others have separated the two, but still, a whiff will always drift in the non-smokers section..

Another is that u cant smoke in central business district (CBD), n this is in the major towns...

Goonersworld Fantasy Premier League Champion 07/08

Goonersworld CL Fantasy League Champion 07/08, 08/09
drama
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Obviously, I don't know what laws others have, but ours is now the same as the rest of The UK. To narrow it down, if the place has a roof or more than two sides, then you can't smoke. This includes bus shelters, vehicles, and even some of the structures put up outside pubs.

There are no options, you simply can't smoke in public places, there are no areas set aside, it's all no-smoking.

So for others, how would you react, what do you think of it?

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:53 pm

I just wish that they bought this in ten years ago as i do not really go to pubs/clubs anymore. I hated coming home smelling of smoke all over including my hair because i spent the whole night in cloud of cigarette smoke.

Unfortunately a couple of pubs i have been to in the last year have smelt a bit frowsy because of the toilets, etc but as Ab fab said that is being sorted.

Long live one of the few Labour policies i am completely happy with.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Long live one of the few Labour policies i am completely happy with.

And the only one I am happy with.......

However, that is off topic, and best saved for another thread.....

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 pm

Shit in the winter, quality in summer.

Nothing worse imo than being shafted outside for a puff in the pouring rain with a bitter cold wind smashing across your boat race.

In the summer it's sexual. Birds with bare minimum clothing out there looking for a light, it's a single mans dream. Still for a non single man it's rather nice to observe as you have a puff.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby whee » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:54 pm

I live about 10 minutes walk from the first pub in Britain to take advantage of the full 24/7 drinking license.

The smoking ban harmed there sales, and it wasn't such a good night out.

Then they decided they'd have TV's put up outside, for the smokers (and people who wished to drink with friends who smoke).

They got too loud, the pub lost it's license to open doors beteen 0200 and 0700 on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

So now they have f***ing hilarious lock-ins instead!!!

Personally, going out and getting minging drunk, it didn't bother me if I smelt of fags the next morning. You've gotta have a shower before you go out, and nobody would wear clothes again after a night out anyway, so they have to be washed regardless.

Whole lot of whinging over nothing if you ask me.

ALSO - having a massive group of people stood outside a pub just looks f***ing shit if you ask me.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:22 pm

whee wrote:
ALSO - having a massive group of people stood outside a pub just looks f***ing shit if you ask me.

Not to mention the trouble....
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Next

Return to The Big Debate