Eurovision song contest

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Eurovision song contest

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon May 19, 2008 5:19 pm

From the conversations i have had in the past i seem to be from a rare breed of people who actually love the Eurovision song contest. It is one of my favourite nights of the year and i never miss it.

I love the cheesy songs and artists, i love the fact that many countries seem to take it so seriously and i love the farce of the political voting. Terry Wogan is good, although has been slightly off form the last few years, and this year we actually have a half decent entry in comparison to the recent Scooch, Gemini or some embarrassing rapper.

It is on this saturday night and i am getting in the alcohol as well as making a buffet platter and intend to have a quality night. Is anyone else going to be watching as well?

Most people i speak to see it as a complete joke, full of crap songs and scandalous political voting. Often it is claimed to be a waste of time and many want us to pull out. Personally i don't really want us to do well, it is half the fun doing crap, it is a farce but i love it for it.

What camp is everyone in love it or loathe it?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Eurovision song contest

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 19, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm in the camp of never heard of it, except when its been mentioned on here. I guess its not broadcast over here.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 19, 2008 5:46 pm

The Eurovision can be god awful at times, but other times there's a gem that you can't get out of your head for the next six months.
On Eurovision night if you walk into ANY pub in Ireland its on telly, and god help anyone if they try to switch to MOTD.

Its always fun when someone gets no points though.....I'm looking at you Norway. :sneaky:
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby sithlordwebb72 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:From the conversations i have had in the past i seem to be from a rare breed of people who actually love the Eurovision song contest. It is one of my favourite nights of the year and i never miss it.

I love the cheesy songs and artists, i love the fact that many countries seem to take it so seriously and i love the farce of the political voting. Terry Wogan is good, although has been slightly off form the last few years, and this year we actually have a half decent entry in comparison to the recent Scooch, Gemini or some embarrassing rapper.

What camp is everyone in love it or loathe it?

i love it!!!

TOTAL CHEESE-FEST!!!

i love the absolute farce, and like u said originally the way some nations take it so seriously...FRANCE lmao!!! and the not so serious SCOOCH!!! hahahaha

i dont think i can watch it this year tho cos im goin on holiday the next day and gotta be up early :crybaby:

LOVE ARSENAL? HATE USMANOV!
sithlordwebb72
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:The Eurovision can be god awful at times, but other times there's a gem that you can't get out of your head for the next six months.
On Eurovision night if you walk into ANY pub in Ireland its on telly, and god help anyone if they try to switch to MOTD.

Its always fun when someone gets no points though.....I'm looking at you Norway. :sneaky:

Ireland are changing their philosophy this year, rather than go for the serious melodic singer they are using a puppet on a more gimmicky flex. Have you seen it?

To be honest their serious entry last year was awful (big suprise there) so i don't blame them for adopting new tactics.

Speaking of gems you cannot get out of your head, remember this:

Sithlordwebb: Glad to hear it. Stay up all night then before your holiday, you know it is worth it :wink:
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Yeah Ireland are sending Dustin to the Eurovision, is there any possible way we could give the English more ammunition to slag us? :?

Although not much can top Kilcocks very own Johnny Logan singing with a big snot up his nose. What made it worse was the camera kept getting if for close ups and you could clearly see it.

That Ukranian song was typical Eurovision, dreadful but you still keep humming or singing it.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 pm

The sheer farce makes in amusing, but listening to Wogan getting progressively more pissed through the evenings events really makes it for me!

I can't say that I am a huge fan of Eurovision, but Wogan is simply unmissable, especially the more Baileys he throws down his neck.

It's safe to say that although hugely uninterested in proceedings, I will be tuned in!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

SE13 wrote:The sheer farce makes in amusing, but listening to Wogan getting progressively more pissed through the evenings events really makes it for me!

I can't say that I am a huge fan of Eurovision, but Wogan is simply unmissable, especially the more Baileys he throws down his neck.

It's safe to say that although hugely uninterested in proceedings, I will be tuned in!

Thats the thing, even people who don't care still watch it, it has some weird hold over us.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Reverend Gooner » Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
SE13 wrote:The sheer farce makes in amusing, but listening to Wogan getting progressively more pissed through the evenings events really makes it for me!

Thats the thing, even people who don't care still watch it, it has some weird hold over us.

I don't even know why i love it so much but there is something about it. Maybe we should have the goonersworld Eurovision drinking game where every time Wogan says something sarcastic we all have a drink :lol:

Don't worry, i don't think us Brits could ever say anything to you about Eurovision, remember Gemini?

What was the Norway reference to by the way, i did not even know they entered?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Well Norway were always awful entries, and got no points a couple of times. One I remember because it was the day my sister made her confirmation.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:Thats the thing, even people who don't care still watch it, it has some weird hold over us.

Thoughts of 1981 and skirts being ripped off! Bucks Fizz winning for The UK.....

There is a version of a winner from a couple or three years ago floating around on YouTube and similar, suggesting that although the song was quite awful, there was (let's say) a smiling reason why the lady concerned picked up a heap of points. Completely unsuitable for here, but if you look around, I'm sure you will find it!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:29 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Maybe we should have the goonersworld Eurovision drinking game where every time Wogan says something sarcastic we all have a drink

I don't think even I could keep up with that, and I can sink a few!

Still, it's a Bank Holiday weekend, so why the hell not! :sneaky2:

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon May 19, 2008 6:30 pm

SE13 wrote:
Fabrestuta wrote:Thats the thing, even people who don't care still watch it, it has some weird hold over us.

Thoughts of 1981 and skirts being ripped off! Bucks Fizz winning for The UK.....

There is a version of a winner from a couple or three years ago floating around on YouTube and similar, suggesting that although the song was quite awful, there was (let's say) a smiling reason why the lady concerned picked up a heap of points. Completely unsuitable for here, but if you look around, I'm sure you will find it!

Was it all rumour or did it really happen, that one time Bucks Fizz were performing (making your mind up????) and Cheryl whats her name had no knickers on when they tore her skirt off? That was floating around for months but I was just a kid so I have no idea how true it is....doesn't seem very likely.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby SE13 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
SE13 wrote:

Was it all rumour or did it really happen, that one time Bucks Fizz were performing (making your mind up????) and Cheryl whats her name had no knickers on when they tore her skirt off? That was floating around for months but I was just a kid so I have no idea how true it is....doesn't seem very likely.

Cheryl Baker.....

No, the girls were both wearing shorts.

The incident I refer to was quite recent. Though I can't think which Nationality the lady concerned was, I had it sent on e-mail, and the link to YouTube, both of which have been deleted.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby mogsy182gooner » Mon May 19, 2008 6:39 pm

I think we heading for another nil point this year (unless malta are in it theres 12 for us there)

Anyone heard andy "x factor" abraham's song, if you havent id advise you keep it that way.
mogsy182gooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Next

Return to The Big Debate