Why we are not f***ked...

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Why we are not f***ked...

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Finally a succinct synopsis of the state of humanity.

https://spectator.us/just-best-decade-h ... seriously/

As a kid (in the 60s) we were all aware that much of the third world was starving, Biafra, Bangladesh, most of Central Africa, India and China. We were told we would run out of food and fuel. We actually had chronic mass epidemics of leprosy, collera, polio, measles etc that killed or maimed millions. Our waters were actually cess pits, the air was far more polluted. Recently African and Asian wildlife was doomed, and now they are recovering nicely especially tigers and Asian rhinos (which I was thrilled to observe on a fairly recent Nepal trip). The third world has excellent communications and even banking ability now due to internet and cell service. Human rights are far more a standard across much of the world, especially for gays, women and the minority majorities for a lack of a better term. FFS, we have salmon in the Thames and Mersey again!

Obviously the world still has many problems, not the least is corruption at any level of commerce and government. There are still totalitarian regimes, still religious conflict, now Chinese colonialism to fight against. But overall, if we had this current state of the globe laid before us fifty years ago I bet just about everyone would jump for joy.

One thing I have gleaned from my life is that when someone tells you the sky is falling and the end is near...be it a religious nutter at Speaker's Corner or a climate activist who claims the planet will be uninhabitable in ten years, well they have an agenda that seldom matches reality.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: Why we are not f***ked...

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Thought this was going to be about Arsenal.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I remember people walking up and down Oxford St in the 70s wearing sandwich boards with "THE END IS NIGH" written on them.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:51 pm

Phil71 wrote:I remember people walking up and down Oxford St in the 70s wearing sandwich boards with "THE END IS NIGH" written on them.

I recall AOC and Greta whats her name claiming that we had just 12 years to save the planet. Al Gore claiming we had 15 years to do so 20 years ago. Jimmy Carter claiming we would be out of oil by 1990. Oh and David Bowie singing about us only having five years left!
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to The Big Debate