What happens after you die?

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:39 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Just because you may want life to be more meaningful doesn't mean that it is. IMO you give meaning to your own life and give it it's own purpose. And to me that is a whole lot better than some deity giving it to me.

Except there is no meaning. At best, in 10^32 years, this Universe will cease to exist as even the protons and neutrons have a half life.



You can give it your own meaning though. And yes, humans will probably not last too long. Which is why I use that very thought to make the best of life I can while I still have one.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35265
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 2:40 pm

StLGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Just because you may want life to be more meaningful doesn't mean that it is. IMO you give meaning to your own life and give it it's own purpose. And to me that is a whole lot better than some deity giving it to me.

Except there is no meaning. At best, in 10^32 years, this Universe will cease to exist as even the protons and neutrons have a half life.



You can give it your own meaning though. And yes, humans will probably not last too long. Which is why I use that very thought to make the best of life I can while I still have one.

And then there's nothing after that. Just the thought depresses me.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 2:44 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Just because you may want life to be more meaningful doesn't mean that it is. IMO you give meaning to your own life and give it it's own purpose. And to me that is a whole lot better than some deity giving it to me.

Except there is no meaning. At best, in 10^32 years, this Universe will cease to exist as even the protons and neutrons have a half life.



You can give it your own meaning though. And yes, humans will probably not last too long. Which is why I use that very thought to make the best of life I can while I still have one.

And then there's nothing after that. Just the thought depresses me.



I hear ya! It can be a depressing thought, which is why I choose to not dwell on it too much and instead concentrate on the finer things in life. Or the things that you love, like family, friends, Arsenal. Fill your life up with those things, that will take your mind off the harsh realities of life, no matter what you believe. I think if you have lived the best life you could then death and the fear of the unknown shouldn't be as bad.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35265
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby UFGN » Mon May 07, 2018 2:49 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
UFGN wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:Another question, if no religion is right, how come so many prophecies have come true?


If you predict enough shit some of its going to happen, especially when the parameters for deciding whether or not it's come true are set by those who wish it to be true

Rule one of debate: Take a little time out to consider that maybe it's you who's the idiot

Well I've done that with religion and I'm still cool with utterly dismissing it

Difference between a scientist and a theologian is that a good scientist will pursue knowledge and truth even at the expense of his own previous work

A theologian looks to shoehorn all of reality into a finite number of pages of text, which never change and never can change

I haven't mentioned any specific religion yet, I'm just wondering about all the possibilities. Even if all religions are wrong, it still doesn't mean there can't be a soul. People who have OBE's, NDE's, and those who claim to have astral projected all seem to point to there being a soul.

But if there's a soul, why would brain damage and dementia change someone's personality? But if there is no soul, then what's the point of anything and what caused the Big Bang?


There is deffinately a soul but that is not incompatible with life being pure biology with no creator

We as animals have survival instincts and powers of communication which are extremely powerful.

Emotions are an extension of our instincts, and in turn soul is the sum of our emotion and our ability to understand and communicate.

I used to work with severely autistic kids and adults. People who can not communicate very much at all. But if you play emotional music, they will listen, sing, cry. Observing things like that can be a powerful experience and some draw the conclusion that it is somehow proof of a creator. I believe it's simply an extension of our fear instinct. The tones within the song are similar to crying and suggest sadness. Those emotions = fear
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19398
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby UFGN » Mon May 07, 2018 3:24 pm

're the question in the OP

You're dead. That's it, no more, finito, nothing at all.

That is impossible for people to imagine so they struggle to find an answer they like. But the evidence is clear. Life is biological and when you die the instruments that constructed your brain, your soul and your body all decay.

People can't stand not understanding something to the extent that they'll make up an answer if they don't know. This is what religion is....people filling gaps in their knowledge.

As someone who rejects religion I am happy to accept that there are many questions that I'll never get an answer to.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19398
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 3:43 pm

UFGN wrote:'re the question in the OP

You're dead. That's it, no more, finito, nothing at all.

That is impossible for people to imagine so they struggle to find an answer they like. But the evidence is clear. Life is biological and when you die the instruments that constructed your brain, your soul and your body all decay.

People can't stand not understanding something to the extent that they'll make up an answer if they don't know. This is what religion is....people filling gaps in their knowledge.

As someone who rejects religion I am happy to accept that there are many questions that I'll never get an answer to.



Again very well said.

I am still not convinced there is a soul however. Of course, we don't know either way, so to me it's still very possible, but I have yet to see any real evidence of it.

UGFN, What has convinced you that there is a soul?
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35265
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby UFGN » Mon May 07, 2018 4:03 pm

StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:'re the question in the OP

You're dead. That's it, no more, finito, nothing at all.

That is impossible for people to imagine so they struggle to find an answer they like. But the evidence is clear. Life is biological and when you die the instruments that constructed your brain, your soul and your body all decay.

People can't stand not understanding something to the extent that they'll make up an answer if they don't know. This is what religion is....people filling gaps in their knowledge.

As someone who rejects religion I am happy to accept that there are many questions that I'll never get an answer to.



Again very well said.

I am still not convinced there is a soul however. Of course, we don't know either way, so to me it's still very possible, but I have yet to see any real evidence of it.

UGFN, What has convinced you that there is a soul?


Well, what I said in the other post really

The one about music etc above

I simply define what soul actually is in reality. The sum of our emotions experiences and insticts, and our ability to express them.

People often talk about soul without actually trying to define what they mean...therefore of course they're not sure if it exists or not.
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19398
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Angelito » Mon May 07, 2018 4:48 pm

Depends. Do you believe in reincarnation?
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26215
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Angelito wrote:Depends. Do you believe in reincarnation?

I have no idea what to believe in. I find the concept a bit interesting because there are children who have been documented remembering what they claim are past lives. Would take some heck of an imagination for that to happen.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Phil71 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:22 pm

I was brought up a Catholic but don’t have any faith now.

It is an interesting question though, and one I’ve very often pondered over the years. I think there may be more to us than just a body. I’ve seen many dead bodies over the years (it’s common for people to be laid out in the Catholic faith), and one thing that has been consistent in my mind when I’ve seen them, is that it’s not them. My own father was the most compelling. Beside his coffin was a photograph of him, sat in an armchair and smiling. The body that was there was not him. Something that could be seen in the photograph had left that body.

I think there could be another, more powerful and consistent life force within us, that carries on after the biological body has died.
User avatar
Phil71
David Rocastle
David Rocastle
 
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 5:29 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:'re the question in the OP

You're dead. That's it, no more, finito, nothing at all.

That is impossible for people to imagine so they struggle to find an answer they like. But the evidence is clear. Life is biological and when you die the instruments that constructed your brain, your soul and your body all decay.

People can't stand not understanding something to the extent that they'll make up an answer if they don't know. This is what religion is....people filling gaps in their knowledge.

As someone who rejects religion I am happy to accept that there are many questions that I'll never get an answer to.



Again very well said.

I am still not convinced there is a soul however. Of course, we don't know either way, so to me it's still very possible, but I have yet to see any real evidence of it.

UGFN, What has convinced you that there is a soul?


Well, what I said in the other post really

The one about music etc above

I simply define what soul actually is in reality. The sum of our emotions experiences and insticts, and our ability to express them.

People often talk about soul without actually trying to define what they mean...therefore of course they're not sure if it exists or not.


Right! I think that is a very good point. Who can even define it, and what is that definition upon which each individual believes.
Formerly ChVint22
User avatar
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 35265
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby UFGN » Mon May 07, 2018 6:03 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:Depends. Do you believe in reincarnation?

I have no idea what to believe in. I find the concept a bit interesting because there are children who have been documented remembering what they claim are past lives. Would take some heck of an imagination for that to happen.


You don't need a god to have reincarnation....

What if the concept of reincarnation is simply an extravagant illustration of what is literally true? ie, that our body decomposes and helps to create new life. Or as a Christian might say, Earth to Earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust
Image
User avatar
UFGN
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month
 
Posts: 19398
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:46 pm
Location: London, init

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Reincarnation is the worst possible outcome.
Image



Invincibles Never Die
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21130
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 6:20 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Reincarnation is the worst possible outcome.

I do somewhat agree with this. If you go by the religious view, then you're going to be reincarnated in a horrific place if you were bad in your past life, but you won't actually remember what said past life was, so hardly some life lesson learned.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Angelito » Mon May 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Reincarnation is the worst possible outcome.


Explain.
Image
User avatar
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 26215
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 am
Location: The Overlook Hotel

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest