What happens after you die?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Angelito wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Reincarnation is the worst possible outcome.

Explain.

It doesn't answer the whole issue though. In a few million years, the sun will change its nature and Earth won't be able to support life. So what happens then?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 7:09 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Explain.

It doesn't answer the whole issue though. In a few million years, the sun will change its nature and Earth won't be able to support life. So what happens then?

A bunch of stuff happens, it just won't involve any of us, or humans at all most likely.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 pm

StLGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Explain.

A bunch of stuff happens, it just won't involve any of us, or humans at all most likely.

I get what you believe, I'm just answering Angelito's question. Hypothetically, even if we assume reincarnation is true, that just throws the can down a few million years, which granted, is a heck of a lot, but in the end, it doesn't answer the question.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 7:20 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Explain.

I get what you believe, I'm just answering Angelito's question. Hypothetically, even if we assume reincarnation is true, that just throws the can down a few million years, which granted, is a heck of a lot, but in the end, it doesn't answer the question.

I don't really believe anything about our existence or the afterlife to be honest. I think it's ok to say "I don't know", because lets be honest that is the truth, and I wish more people would take that stance.

So yes, "I don't know" is the answer to these big questions, and it's ok to not know. What is not ok is thinking we do know, and thinking we already have the answers, because that would lead to not trying to find them...............or it leads to religion. Ha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Angelito wrote:

Explain.

I have no desire to keep being reborn and wonder about these same questions - meaning of life, life after death, morality, etc.

I also don't want to come back as an animal and be subjected to the human race.

I'd hate to keep coming back to the same earth, finding it in a worse state each time as humans slowly destroy it.

Think of how bad it will be when global warming has really taken ahold, there is a shortage of water, too many people, not enough food, not enough space, no room for any more waster, etc.

You would get to the point where earth would be a post apocalyptic nightmare and you'd still have to keep coming back again and again.

No thanks.

I'd much rather just live, die and be done with it one time if I have to choose between "nothingness" or reincarnation.
Last edited by Va-Va-Voom on Mon May 07, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Ach » Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 pm

We come back to live on another planet in a galaxy far far away thinking if theres any life out there
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby StLGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 pm

Or what about coming back in an alternate Universe?

Since we don't know, then anything is possible almost.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon May 07, 2018 8:27 pm

StLGooner wrote:Or what about coming back in an alternate Universe?

Then maybe that would be acceptable.

But as far as coming back to the earth we know until it's destroyed, no, it doesn't appeal to me at all.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 pm

What sort of thread is this ffs.

What happens is, its like being in a room at night, then you switch the light off.

Well I'll tell you this and its the truest thing you'll ever hear.

We don't "come back" but lets entertain we do, what would be the point? because you'd never know it.

You would be a different person, no former memories, brain wired different, different personality, built different genetically, are you even fkin human?? you could be a fly.

So essentially you will be a different person / thing, to the point its not even worth mentioning.

So effectively and literally ......... no "you" don't come back, in any capacity, once your brain is shut down, everything that was ever you is gone.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:30 am

DiamondGooner wrote:What sort of thread is this ffs.

What happens is, its like being in a room at night, then you switch the light off.

We don't "come back" but lets entertain we do, what would be the point? because you'd never know it.

You would be a different person, no former memories, brain wired different, different personality, built different genetically, are you even fkin human?? you could be a fly.

So essentially you will be a different person / thing, to the point its not even worth mentioning.

So effectively and literally ......... no "you" don't come back, in any capacity, once your brain is shut down, everything that was ever you is gone.

Interesting that you mention the brain.

There are continuing studies into a rare phenomenon called Terminal Lucidity. It's the appearance in patients with terminal brain conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, of a complete return to normality in the days or hours before death. Some people with later stage dementia, where even organ failure has begun due to the severe brain damage, have been observed to hold lucid conversations with those around them, with absolutely no signs of the impairments that had been there with the condition. A temporary return of full functionality of the mind.

The theory in some quarters is that this may indicate that the mind is somehow separate from the brain, and functions through the brain, rather than from it. Possibly an indication that we are not just living tissue, but that there may be something else.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 am

The theory in some quarters is that this may indicate that the mind is somehow separate from the brain, and functions through the brain, rather than from it. Possibly an indication that we are not just living tissue, but that there may be something else.

Similar to people having heart transplants and then taking on some of the persona of the donor. However, I'm with DG, once the body shuts down, that's it. Religion has it that we will move to another place, but that's just historical manipulation of the masses to enable ultimate control.....IMO.

Enjoy it while it lasts! :)
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:23 pm

I hope we just go, thinking that there possibly could be other shit is unsettling
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:

But as far as coming back to the earth we know until it's destroyed, no, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

What about if you came back during a previous time period? So essentially time traveling after you die? Would that be more appealing?

I get it though, it seems like life is worth living in a sense because it doesn't go on forever and you don't get another one. That's what kind of makes it great in a weird way.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

What about if you came back during a previous time period? So essentially time traveling after you die? Would that be more appealing?

I get it though, it seems like life is worth living in a sense because it doesn't go on forever and you don't get another one. That's what kind of makes it great in a weird way.

That's bullshit though, if I could live forever on a non-decaying planet, I would literally have zero qualms in doing so.
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 12:44 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:What sort of thread is this ffs.

Right! I don't have a reason to believe that we come back in any form. Just speaking hypothetically to Va-Va about what could be possible and what he would accept or be content with happening.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate