What happens after you die?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: What happens after you die?

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Rockape wrote:
The theory in some quarters is that this may indicate that the mind is somehow separate from the brain, and functions through the brain, rather than from it. Possibly an indication that we are not just living tissue, but that there may be something else.

Similar to people having heart transplants and then taking on some of the persona of the donor. However, I'm with DG, once the body shuts down, that's it. Religion has it that we will move to another place, but that's just historical manipulation of the masses to enable ultimate control.....IMO.

Enjoy it while it lasts! :)

Oh, I'm not religious in any way whatsoever. Just curious and interested in what we are, and open minded in regard to what comes next - if anything.

Another phenomenon on the increase is out of body experiences. Medical science has advanced to a degree where people can literally be brought back to life - and it is happening more often.

So many people report almost identical experiences - mostly being above the scene, and watching the medical teams reviving their body.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 2:53 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Or what about coming back in an alternate Universe?

Since we don't know, then anything is possible almost.

Then maybe that would be acceptable.

But as far as coming back to the earth we know until it's destroyed, no, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

What about if you came back during a previous time period? So essentially time traveling after you die? Would that be more appealing?

I get it though, it seems like life is worth living in a sense because it doesn't go on forever and you don't get another one. That's what kind of makes it great in a weird way.

That's bullshit though, if I could live forever on a non-decaying planet, I would literally have zero qualms in doing so.

It's not bullshit for me, I honestly don't think I would want to live forever. Most people can't fathom forever. But just try, it doesn't seem pleasant.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

StLGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

But as far as coming back to the earth we know until it's destroyed, no, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

What about if you came back during a previous time period? So essentially time traveling after you die? Would that be more appealing?

I get it though, it seems like life is worth living in a sense because it doesn't go on forever and you don't get another one. That's what kind of makes it great in a weird way.

That's bullshit though, if I could live forever on a non-decaying planet, I would literally have zero qualms in doing so.

It's not bullshit for me, I honestly don't think I would want to live forever. Most people can't fathom forever. But just try, it doesn't seem pleasant.

Init. It's hard enough to find new music you like as it is. You'd end up trawling through unspeakable dross like Bryan Adams just to find something new

Becoming that guy who thinks "Coldplay do have quite a few good tunes you know" or death?

Put me down for a no-parachute skydive
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Jedi » Tue May 08, 2018 4:23 pm

f**k all.

Consciousness is an illusion created by neurons firing off in your brain. When your brain dies, "you" cease to exist.

LegendaryKeown wrote:But what about after then? What about your memories, thoughts and ambitions?

And if this is all, then why live at all? Might as well die and end this life.

Doesn't the thought bug you that there's no point to anything and we'll all die anyway? And not just us, but also any ancestors, since even in the best case scenario where we manage to switch solar systems, humanity will end by the time this universe is 10^32 years old anyway.

I never understood the logic behind giving meaning to infinite as opposed to finite things when it's quite the contrary. The fact that your life has an end is what makes it precious. An infinite being would know that they're going to have an infinite number of chances to experience everything life has to offer so they wouldn't ever have to bother doing anything + they'd eventually get bored of everything. On the other side, the awareness of death and knowing there's going to be a last time for everything, whether it's the last time you ride a bike, the last time you get to spend some time with a loved one, even the last time you get to watch an Arsenal game, is what gives life meaning.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

There's a extremely high probability that if you did live forever at some stage you'll develop severe depression.

500 years from now, what have you got to live for? what new experience can keep you going? some people find that difficult even when they're in their 20's.

Imagine living for a 1,000 years, yeah, at some stage your likely going to develop mental problems.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it".

- Mark Twain

Basically.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Marsbar100 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Besides hell, what would be a f***ked up afterlife?
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it".

- Mark Twain

Basically.

This is what I think but ........... the pain and anguish of our exits is not bloody nice.

Its like nature gives us one last "fk you" on our way out, apart obviously from those of us lucky enough to go peacefully in their sleep or whatever.

Tell you what though, I study military history and its dawned on me a few times the amount of millions who have died from battle wounds cut up, bleeding out, deep stab wound.

Literally millions of men in history manned up to take that risk, so many painful deaths.

Guess its the price we pay for many years of not suffering physically, a few mins or hours of pain for a life time, nature always comes to collect.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it".

- Mark Twain

Basically.

This is what I think but ........... the pain and anguish of our exits is not bloody nice.

Its like nature gives us one last "fk you" on our way out, apart obviously from those of us lucky enough to go peacefully in their sleep or whatever.

Tell you what though, I study military history and its dawned on me a few times the amount of millions who have died from battle wounds cut up, bleeding out, deep stab wound.

Literally millions of men in history manned up to take that risk, so many painful deaths.

Guess its the price we pay for many years of not suffering physically, a few mins or hours of pain for a life time, nature always comes to collect.

Most research suggests that death is actually quite peaceful. Even those who've had NDE's from painful accidents say that once they lost consciousness, they felt nothing or they felt peace and light.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Jedieurokrem wrote:f**k all.

Consciousness is an illusion created by neurons firing off in your brain. When your brain dies, "you" cease to exist.

LegendaryKeown wrote:But what about after then? What about your memories, thoughts and ambitions?

Doesn't the thought bug you that there's no point to anything and we'll all die anyway? And not just us, but also any ancestors, since even in the best case scenario where we manage to switch solar systems, humanity will end by the time this universe is 10^32 years old anyway.

I never understood the logic behind giving meaning to infinite as opposed to finite things when it's quite the contrary. The fact that your life has an end is what makes it precious. An infinite being would know that they're going to have an infinite number of chances to experience everything life has to offer so they wouldn't ever have to bother doing anything + they'd eventually get bored of everything. On the other side, the awareness of death and knowing there's going to be a last time for everything, whether it's the last time you ride a bike, the last time you get to spend some time with a loved one, even the last time you get to watch an Arsenal game, is what gives life meaning.

You said it so much better than I did. Thanks!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Besides hell, what would be a f***ked up afterlife?

Drifting through some next realm all alone for eternity.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Getting reincarnated as Ryan Gigg's brother?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby UFGN » Tue May 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Besides hell, what would be a f***ked up afterlife?

Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 7:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
LegendaryKeown wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:

There's a extremely high probability that if you did live forever at some stage you'll develop severe depression.

500 years from now, what have you got to live for? what new experience can keep you going? some people find that difficult even when they're in their 20's.

Imagine living for a 1,000 years, yeah, at some stage your likely going to develop mental problems.

I've had moments where I've wanted life to end, but honestly, if I was given infinity right now with how life is, I'd probably take it

Jedieurokrem wrote:f**k all.

All this could be true. Assuming a world which doesn't decay or anything, you can still have football, relegation, all the shit that makes up life, love, sex, everything, and live forever and ever. There'll be new sports to watch, new teams to follow, new things to do every few years. Honestly, if you can't dream up a place where you'd like to live forever, you're pretty uncreative
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:[
I've had moments where I've wanted life to end, but honestly, if I was given infinity right now with how life is, I'd probably take it

But how would that work?

Would you stay young and healthy? Would your friends and family never die?

If you're trying to pause time noting else in the world could move on, if you're not aging, that means no change in the world is occurring; which means you'd be bored af in about a year since earth would be stagnant.

You'd really want to life for eternity in a place where nothing changes?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate