How serious is the Jihadi threat to GB? 50K+ DL Jihadi mag

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

How serious is the Jihadi threat to GB? 50K+ DL Jihadi mag

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Attention grabbing thread title eh? Welp, it is what it is.

So what has inspired me to write this thread? I'm sure you all saw the news yesterday, after yet another Islamic Jihadi attack came to fruition, but this wasn't the reason I wrote this thread. Nor was it the reason, that on Saturday just past, I stood in the same exact spot as the terrorist attack, on the western footpath of Westminster bridge, and took photo's of my happy looking girlfriend and mother of my three children.

It was something I saw on social media that grabbed my attention more than anything else I had seen or been thinking about, and what it said is what inspired me to look into the claims, and what I found was quite shocking.

Before I link the video, I want to say firstly, this thread is not about the person in the video, it's not about his, mine or your political viewpoint. It's not about the circumstances in which he spoke (it could be construed as bad taste to air his views in this manner at such a time), it's not about an attack on a religion, your views on a religion or anything else apart from the cold, hard facts he purports are true.

Here is the video, please watch with an open mind. If you're unable to do so, please refrain from commenting on the thread. If you''re going to comment, at least make it with an educated opinion:

Quite the emotional argument. I get that, but let's take the emotion evoked from yesterdays events out of the discussion. It's easy to get caught up in outrage, for whatever reason.

One thing caught my attention more than anything else during that impassioned speech (you may or may not agree with). It was a claim that:

"driving your car, like this man has done, is exactly what Inspire magazine, which is Al Queda's magazine, was downloaded by fifty thousand British Muslims last year. Fifty thousand downloaded a terrorist manual in our country. Fifty thousand. Not ten! Not twenty! Fifty thousand!".

So, I did a bit of digging. Firstly I looked at what Inspire magazine was. Low and behold, it wasn't hard to find. A simple google search takes you to plenty of websites, where the PDF is freely available to download. What I found whilst having a quick browse, was exactly how this man described in the video. It's a terrorist manual, with instructions in how to carry out various "things", that I will not go into to too much details about. Needless to say, it's shocking that such material can be freely accessed so easily, without so much as web hosting services taking it down.

Next I looked into the claim that fifty thousand British Muslims had downloaded this material. Now, it's impossible to tell somebodies religion over the internet by simply looking at an IP address, so I'm sure not all the downloads were from Muslims, but, I should imagine the vast majority of downloads were from that religious group. It's just common sense to assume that. The total figure of downloads of the 2014 spring edition of Inspire magazine, from British I.P addresses, over a three month period were: 54,322. https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/ ... mes-in-uk/ . There are plenty of other articles and documents disclosing these findings. Check for yourself. I simply chose a tabloid many people here in the UK would see everyday, going about their business.

I thought to myself "well that certainly is quite a large number of people, I wonder what proportion of the Muslim population of the UK that amounts to?". So I looked.

Islam is the second largest religion in the United Kingdom, with results from the United Kingdom Census 2011 giving the UK Muslim population in 2011 as ~2,706,066, ~4.5% of the total population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_ ... ed_Kingdom

As of January 2017: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -time.html

So that's just over 3M Muslims currently living in the UK.

So I did a bit of math: Y = P% * X

It turns out that 54000 is 1.8% of 3000000, or nearly 2 in 50 (two in fifty). That is a high proportion of British Muslims downloading this material. It is also not taking into account those that have read the documentation after being handed it, in whatever form, from those who have downloaded it. It is encouraged in all the issues to "pass it on to your brothers and sisters".

It also does not include those who download and distribute other materials from other groups.

So I ask myself, and you the reader, that if a man with simply a car and two knives can carry out what happened yesterday, are we as a Nation vastly under estimating the Jihadi threat on our own doorstep?

Maybe not just in this country, but others in Europe and indeed throughout the world, where countries have a significant Muslim population, where Islam is not the main religion, as I assume the figures for such things would be similar there?
Last edited by Luzh 22 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Re: How serious is the Jihadi threat to GB? 50K+ DL Jihadi m

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:33 pm

54OOO is 18% of 3M

Lol
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 pm

:tumbleweed:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

UFGN wrote:54OOO is 18% of 3M

Lol

You are right, and I'm a f***ing idiot. It's 1.8%. I moved the decimal place once too many... edited post to reflect true numbers. My apologies.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Besides the math error, I'd like to point out that there is no reason to think that the majority of downloads are by Muslims, nor that it was downloaded by someone intending on using it..

For example, how many reporters downloaded it to write an article on it?
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Pudpop wrote:Besides the math error, I'd like to point out that there is no reason to think that the majority of downloads are by Muslims, nor that it was downloaded by someone intending on using it..

For example, how many reporters downloaded it to write an article on it?

I did address that, but it's certainly not 50k reporters... I've also left in the total 3m of British Muslims the young children and over 65's.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:36 pm

I can only speak for the Muslims I know

All of them condemn these and other atrocities. One of them was almost in tears yesterday trying to explain exactly why ISIS and other similar thugs have got it so wrong. Pulling his hair out trying to explain that it makes no sense in Islam or more generally in humanity

For what it's worth I think its a combination of simple fascism on the part of a tiny minority of Muslims, combined with feelings of injustice caused by the behaviour of Western countries and companies in Muslim countries

Try explaining to them that in fact we are all, in one way or another, oppressed by those more powerful than us, and that they're not a special case and it's nothing to do with religion. Its about good old fashioned money.

Try explaining to them that the leaders of ISIS and the like don't give a f**k about Islam and that they're just warlords and gangsters, using religion to control their foot soldiers. Just like happened in Northern Ireland. Just like the Balkans. Just like Rwanda.

Its got nothing to do with Islam.

Then you get haters having a field day and saying shit like "multiculturalism isn't working"

What does that even mean ffs? It's like saying cats aren't working. Multiculturalism exists and cats exist and that is that. Live with it and make it f***ing work.

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 pm

How many people have read Mein Kampf?

Thousands, millions even?

What does this mean? Nazis everywhere?

All I know is we're lucky the problem isn't 50k muslims armed up and ready to go because the extremist peddlers aren't wanting for lack of material are they?

All they need to do is tune their possible disciples onto the 10'clock news and they'll see muslims being slaughtered on a daily / weekly basis.

Essentially the West have created this problem, actions have consequences, the elites know this but so what if a few pedestrians get killed as long as they can make their billions?

All we can do is carry on unfortunately.

Tbh I can't believe no ones taken ISIS out yet, why are they being allowed to harvest Iraqi millions from the economy they control?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Very good posts UFGN and DG, and it's certainly true what you have both written. Neither of you addressed the question though:

"So I ask myself, and you the reader, that if a man with simply a car and two knives can carry out what happened yesterday, are we as a Nation vastly under estimating the Jihadi threat on our own doorstep? "
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:Very good posts UFGN and DG, and it's certainly true what you have both written. Neither of you addressed the question though:

"So I ask myself, and you the reader, that if a man with simply a car and two knives can carry out what happened yesterday, are we as a Nation vastly under estimating the Jihadi threat on our own doorstep? "

Difficult to answer simply because ....... what do you consider underestimating?

I don't think we do underestimate the threat however as per a conversation I had with a work colleague earlier, these instances are going to be sporadic and relatively rare.

It takes a considerable amount of grooming and that grooming being applied to someone with a serious grievance toward society, bordering on having paranoid mental problems, for a British person to commit what is essentially suicide.

We are not going to see masses of British Muslims commit Hari Kari like lemmings, the environment in England is too well off to warrant anything like that, we really are talking about aggrieved, mentally vulnerable people being swayed and brain washed i.e, this will remain a rare.

So to answer your question 1) No I don't think we underestimate it and 2) Even if we were, what can you do about it?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 pm

The real threat to our country is to our way of life, our tolerant society, our civil rights.

Those are under threat because the reaction to terrorist attacks in our country and elsewhere emboldens two groups;

On the one hand, racists who were just waiting for an excuse to have a dig at Asians,

And on the other hand authoritarianism, the lovers of which care little for the loss of privacy and freedom that the reforms they demand cause.

That is the biggest threat to our way of life and one that affects us all and do we underestimate THOSE threats? YES. Massively.

Do we underestimate the threat to our physical safety? No I doubt it. Maybe I'm just not as easily scared as some, but I work in Central London and use the tube every day, and I honestly don't give it a second thought.

Imagine never crossing the road again because you saw on the news that someone got run over.

To anyone who's worried about an attack, I say f***ing grow a pair and get on with your life This city survived the Blitz and thirty years of IRA bombs.

UFGN

Postby Sims » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 pm

UFGN wrote:Do we underestimate the threat to our physical safety? No I doubt it. Maybe I'm just not as easily scared as some, but I work in Central London and use the tube every day, and I honestly don't give it a second thought.

spot on tbh

one of london in particulars best assets is 'carrying on' so to speak

saw some f***ing idiots post on twitter how the tube seemed 'sad' because everyone was looking at their phone and not speaking to each other, which is a normal f***ing day on the tube

the moment people cave into fear and it affects their every day life is the day the terrorists have won
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Manoban » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 pm

might leave europe
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

I'll add to the above that, yes, I practice what I preach

I live in London
I work in Central London
I use the tube every day
I go to gay nightclubs and bars
I go to premier league football matches
I go to gigs regularly
I go to the theatre regularly

I'm probably in the top 5% of people most likely to get killed in a terrorist attack in the whole country

And yet Im not one iota worried about it. So to all of those who would use attacks on my city to further their own political ideologies or all those "worried that it might happen to them," I say STFU and grow up.

UFGN

Postby Manoban » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:58 pm

not scared of being attacked it has just become a shithole

bit better here in scandinavia
Manoban
Charlie George
Charlie George

Next

Return to The Big Debate