Immigration, your view?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Immigration, your view?

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Immigration is obviously a big issue nowadays, what is your view on it and what the limit of it should be?

In my honest and non-trolling opinion, the left have ignored it for too long. There should be limits on what kind of people can enter the country. For example, SchlandGooner here has complained a few times on the excess number of Syrian refugees and the problems they cause. Even if the number were not excessive, would they cause problems? The answer is probably yes. Now you could call it racist or Islamophobic, but let's say I go to Germany, I'm 90% sure that, personal animosity aside, Schland would have zero issue, despite me being a Muslim of Pakistani heritage.

Education then, is probably the key to it. But that's probably not all. For example, my views on gay people and female rights are such that I would dare not utter them in Pakistan because even most educated people would be shocked. That liberality of views should also be checked during immigration, because that too, would cause huge issues.

Other than that, there definitely should be a restriction on numbers.

One example I will give is that of Pakistan itself. During the 60's and 70's, rural villages aside, Pakistan was a very liberal area (Compared to today, mind). That changed with the influx of Afghan refugees. Seeing that example, I can easily see anyone's viewpoint on Syrian refugees.

So both Trump and BREXIT when viewed by this prism are not just possible, but also very likely.

Another example, Diamond is an immigrant to the UK. So was I. Neither Rowdy nor RoyalGooner who both support BREXIT have ever targeted us based on our religion or race. While I may have called BREXIT a vote of racists out of emotion, when I stop to think about it, both of these should have targeted us, but indeed, one of us actually supported BREXIT. Thus racism or even Islamophobia is a weird conclusion.

There is no denying that a few people against immigration are racists, but the rest have viewpoints that are being lumped with both and lead to resentment

Your views on this?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Re: Immigration, your view?

Postby Dejan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Depends. For me refugees that come directly from a warzone are welcome for me, They deserve a chance for a better life.
However, I live in the Netherlands where we have alot of Maroccans. In my opinion they should not be allowed anymore.
Because 1) We are almost full.
2) There is alot of friction, between dutch people and Maroccans especially.

Often I hear foreigners call the Dutch racists. This is simply not true.
We have a television show on the national broadcast. Its about the police that are looking for people that have committed a crime. And basically 90% of those people are youth from Marocco. This is what changes peoples mind. Enough is enough.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Imo such shows probably do deliberately do so to further inflame people, but I do see your view. The local people should always come first. Imo, immigration other than refugees or for educated, or highly educated people should be a no-no. For education, once someone's studied 2+ years in your country, they will adapt to the culture, they'll have to.

Wouldn't be surprised if a higher percentage of immigrants were criminals either, especially with current lack of restrictions.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:54 pm

As an American, which is a nation literally built on immigration, I openly welcome it. But, only if it's done the legal way. I don't pretend to know all the avenues they have to go through to become a legal citizen, but if anyone is looking for a better way of life, and thinks this is the place to get that, and wants to be a contributing member to this society, and economy and pay their taxes, then yes, come on in my friend.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm

I almost feel this thread was created just so GA being the Troll that he is, is trying to find out if I have him on block ............ how pathetic is that.

Where in what world did I ever say I was an immigrant GA? I was born and bred in the UK you doughnut.

My opinion is this - Illegal Immigrant is just that, a law that has been broken so that person needs to be deported.
For the politicians trying to suck up to the liberals playing this subject down and accusing people of raising the issue as racist ........... Illegal means against the law, a prosecution should be the result.

If I break the law by taking GA outside and smashing his face in, am I exempt from breaking the law ........ no, I'm not and so laws should be enforced.

Even more so when we live in a country that gives tax payers benefits and welfare away to anyone who sneaks across the border.

(Regarding the block, Angelito messaged me this morning on how to do it so ..........)

PS - if Gooner Alexis is a sign of what we get from immigration then I think the whole issue needs to be re-evaluated, we're hardly getting value for money here are we.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Like you could even smash GA's face in
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
My opinion is this - Illegal Immigrant is just that, a law that has been broken so that person needs to be deported.
For the politicians trying to suck up to the liberals playing this subject down and accusing people of raising the issue as racist ........... Illegal means against the law, a prosecution should be the result.

If I break the law by taking GA outside and smashing his face in, am I exempt from breaking the law ........ no, I'm not and so laws should be enforced.

An issue like immigration is not black and white; you've taken humanity out of the equation and compared it to GBH.

There is a big difference between someone who has fled to another country illegally in search of a better life and you taking GA outside and assaulting him...

There are a lot of desperate people in the world who live in countries rife with poverty and violence. Your view on immigration is a very cold one.

There is no optimal solution, but I think it's always important to have compassion.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:57 pm

How about we stop blaming immigrants for the issues we are having with jobs and public services and concentrate on the real reasons - the mess caused by banking crisis and the lack of investment in public services since!

Rather than limiting migrants to ease unemployment and the strain on public services, how about we tax the **** out of the people who are the real cause of the problem and invest in new hospitals, schools, houses etc. in turn creating enough services and jobs for everyone!

Maybe I'm living in some virtual reality down in the westcountry but I have not seen one issue with an immigrant in my whole life. This 'the problems they cause' thing is bollocks. I don't know anyone with personal experience of these 'problems' and anyone I ask just refers to some crap in the daily mail!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Dejan wrote:Depends. For me refugees that come directly from a warzone are welcome for me, They deserve a chance for a better life.
However, I live in the Netherlands where we have alot of Maroccans. In my opinion they should not be allowed anymore.
Because 1) We are almost full.
2) There is alot of friction, between dutch people and Maroccans especially.

Often I hear foreigners call the Dutch racists. This is simply not true.
We have a television show on the national broadcast. Its about the police that are looking for people that have committed a crime. And basically 90% of those people are youth from Marocco. This is what changes peoples mind. Enough is enough.

I forget the name of the politician who was killed in the Netherlands. The guy who was murdered. I forget the details of the story as well but if I remember correctly he was gay and had voiced opposition to immigrants with prejudiced views coming to Netherlands and spoiling the liberal atmosphere in the country.

That sums up my biggest opposition to immigration.... People are welcome to live their lives and enjoy our freedoms but it's a two way Street.

Intolerance can not be tolerated.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Immigration, your view?

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:22 pm

^ Fair enough, but does anyone on here have any personal experience of the 'problems'? Because I'm still waiting to meet anyone who has!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:^ Fair enough, but does anyone on here have any personal experience of the 'problems'? Because I'm still waiting to meet anyone who has!

Me, not directly, but I have friends who do.

Although I'm gay people are usually very surprised when I tell them because I'm probably the straightest gay bloke you'll ever meet.

I don't walk hand in hand down the street with a bloke or kiss in public because it's just not my style. However I've got gay friends who are a bit more on the queenie side and they don't feel safe in places like Whitechapel or East Ham because of the large Muslim population. They couldn't possibly show any affection to another man round those areas.

These are London-born Londoners having to restrict their behaviour because of people who've chosen to come here.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

An issue like immigration is not black and white; you've taken humanity out of the equation and compared it to GBH.

There is a big difference between someone who has fled to another country illegally in search of a better life and you taking GA outside and assaulting him...

There are a lot of desperate people in the world who live in countries rife with poverty and violence. Your view on immigration is a very cold one.

There is no optimal solution, but I think it's always important to have compassion.

Not really.

I never said I was against immigration, my fathers Arabic, if your talking compassion then that is on the Government to accept migrants based on their situation but if they are illegal then they are breaking the law so where do you draw the line?

If we live on the same street and I have a run down flat and you have a fancy 5 bed house I can't just rock up and invade your house with my only excuse being "Your house was nicer than mine so I'm living here now".

Your situation is different to over here, every American is an immigrant technically and your country is miles bigger, Britain is basically an Island nation where we as the general public are taxed more to pay for public services, not every service here is private.

I don't think Americans can take any moral high ground from people boating in from Cuba or Mexico considering that's how you all got there ever since the Mayflower, I think our situations and so our solutions are different.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 pm

The problem is simply that it has been out of control for too long. We have been letting too many unskilled people in and in numbers that is having an adverse effect on communities. Of course it is the EU that says that we have to do that but that's why we voted to leave to take back that control.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:53 am

Imo, it's not even really an issue of immigration in and of itself. It's where someone emigrates from.

Me being American, I can go pretty much anywhere in the world (except for the obvious like North Korea and Iran) and be accepted for no other reason than my passport. I've learned Western passports give you insane amounts of respect other countries.

However, people from developing nations are ridiculed. Many Middle Eastern people are wrongly subject to pejorative rhetoric because of their origin.

Being an America and in the melting pot country, I'm okay with any immigration as long as it's legal and they conform to American values.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Sims » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:18 am

VVV is American?
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Next

Return to The Big Debate