British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

They had a seven hour meeting at No.10 yesterday, and the sum output of it is that she'll have a chat with Corbyn.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:May knows her fanbase....

I don't think that's a thing.

Does such a thing even exist?

She's one of the most hated politicians I've seen who's not committed a war crime.

Labour hates her, Con's hate her, Remain hate her, SNP hates her, DUP barely tolerate her and are exasperated.

Womens Institute oldskool old lady never been abroad except maybe to the Channel Islands

Had a curry once, it didn't agree with them
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:41 pm

I bet the SNP, TIG and Lib Dems regret playing games now as motion was drawn for Monday's votes and speaker voted no with precedent so the chance has gone.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:I bet the SNP, TIG and Lib Dems regret playing games now as motion was drawn for Monday's votes and speaker voted no with precedent so the chance has gone.

It looks like May and Corbyn are going to come to a deal.

Brexiteer's and Remainer's are in bits.

Quite enjoying that tbf, both sides have caused this fk up.

I don't like the way Remainer's have disrespected democracy and I also think the Brexiteer's have had a full on mare, they've come out of this worse of all to be honest.

I'd actually support Corbyn and May's Soft Brexit / Norway ........... is it a better deal than Remain, probably not unless they get some added attachment, but regardless ......... this middling solution is nothing less than we deserve.

At least then we can retreat, recover and think long and hard about whether we want to rejoin as full member's as we'd still be in complete alignment or if we then decide to go out fully.

Either way no side really deserves to win, England has embarrassed itself, we just need a resolution now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:06 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:I bet the SNP, TIG and Lib Dems regret playing games now as motion was drawn for Monday's votes and speaker voted no with precedent so the chance has gone.

It looks like May and Corbyn are going to come to a deal.

Brexiteer's and Remainer's are in bits.

Quite enjoying that tbf, both sides have caused this fk up.

I don't like the way Remainer's have disrespected democracy and I also think the Brexiteer's have had a full on mare, they've come out of this worse of all to be honest.

I'd actually support Corbyn and May's Soft Brexit / Norway ........... is it a better deal than Remain, probably not unless they get some added attachment, but regardless ......... this middling solution is nothing less than we deserve.

At least then we can retreat, recover and think long and hard about whether we want to rejoin as full member's as we'd still be in complete alignment or if we then decide to go out fully.

Either way no side really deserves to win, England has embarrassed itself, we just need a resolution now.

I agree, a soft brexit (CU + SM) or a firm brexit (CU) with no referendum is probably the best way to actually get a deal through parliament. Ken Clarke knows his stuff and is pro EU so if he says a referendum will lose more votes in the house than it would win then you can take him at that.

My concern is that the next Tory PM can just reneg on the political declaration and say no to the soft brexit access and guarantees of workers rights. How legally tight is the PD?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:47 am

So now, if the Cooper Bill is passed by the Lords, May is compelled to ask the EU for a long extension in the event of impending No Deal.

This now puts the UK in an impossible position - almost as bad as the Irish backstop. The EU will just keep grinning back and saying we have to accept whatever they propose because our law says so.

What a farce. Just cancel the bloody thing.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:31 am

The trouble for the lords is that it sounds like the bill may need some ammendments due to some shoddy interactions with current law but if it is ammended even slightly then another vote will have to take place which could well lose (rumour had it an ERG member had to abstain as he went down the wrong corridor). The lords are known remainers so that may be a difficult choice.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status ... -1218.html

That twitter thread destroys the mantra being touted out by Tory brexiteers that all votes to leave means 'no deal'. Actually the words coming out of their mouths suggested leave meant a 'soft brexit' which is what May and Corbyn look like they will try and achieve.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:53 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:The trouble for the lords is that it sounds like the bill may need some ammendments due to some shoddy interactions with current law but if it is ammended even slightly then another vote will have to take place which could well lose (rumour had it an ERG member had to abstain as he went down the wrong corridor). The lords are known remainers so that may be a difficult choice.

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status ... -1218.html

That twitter thread destroys the mantra being touted out by Tory brexiteers that all votes to leave means 'no deal'. Actually the words coming out of their mouths suggested leave meant a 'soft brexit' which is what May and Corbyn look like they will try and achieve.

I don't know how they square the circle of saying leave meant no deal when all their main cheerleaders were saying before the vote that it would be easy enough to arrange a deal
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am

The moment Leave sat on the sidelines and allowed a Remainer to sort out their deal for them then as far as I'm concerned they've lost the argument, its similar to Boris Johnson championing Leave then refusing to run for PM.

So fk them.

At least we're making some forward progress at last, Cooper's bill means No Deal can't be used in negotiations or as an option, May's deal is dead and she finally seems to have accepted it.
Looks like we're heading for Norway type deal cobbled together by May and Corbyn.

An article stated that the reason for this is May has finally accepted No Deal is not an option as she fears it'll break up the Union, Scotland want Remain then despite NI being okay with Leave, we don't have a solution for the Backstop so the easy way out is to stay in the Customs Union.

Looks like the only thing Leave will get out of this is us giving up membership and that's it, which is fitting considering they've contributed sweet FA.

If Brexiteer's are angry they should look to Leave MP's who after the result just sat back and presumed May would just give them everything they want, if they're that stupid I don't want these people in charge of a No Deal Britain.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:29 am

DiamondGooner wrote:The moment Leave sat on the sidelines and allowed a Remainer to sort out their deal for them then as far as I'm concerned they've lost the argument, its similar to Boris Johnson championing Leave then refusing to run for PM.

So fk them.

At least we're making some forward progress at last, Cooper's bill means No Deal can't be used in negotiations or as an option, May's deal is dead and she finally seems to have accepted it.
Looks like we're heading for Norway type deal cobbled together by May and Corbyn.

An article stated that the reason for this is May has finally accepted No Deal is not an option as she fears it'll break up the Union, Scotland want Remain then despite NI being okay with Leave, we don't have a solution for the Backstop so the easy way out is to stay in the Customs Union.

Looks like the only thing Leave will get out of this is us giving up membership and that's it, which is fitting considering they've contributed sweet FA.

If Brexiteer's are angry they should look to Leave MP's who after the result just sat back and presumed May would just give them everything they want, if they're that stupid I don't want these people in charge of a No Deal Britain.

We'll have brexiteers moaning for evermore about it but they always forget one key thing. A negotiation is between two sides. The EU have their own wants and agendas. Leave never accepted that before the deal and they still don't accept it.

They thought we'd be able to easily sort out a deal based on their own false narrative about German cars yadayada. Turns out its not yourself you have to convince, its the other side! Who'da thunk it?

So what do we have to show for it all? Three years of national humiliation, the future of the UK as one country at risk and for what? Brexit in name only.

Add to that the fkin Tories still bitching about Europe even after all this

I hope it was worth it, dickheads

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:04 pm

One benefit of including Labour directly in brexit talks is you now have Keir Starmer involved, who is not only a highly respected lawyer in his own right, but is a former DPP so has serious connections with the best lawyers in the country

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:08 pm

You don't think the government already has the use of the best legal advice available?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Phil71 wrote:You don't think the government already has the use of the best legal advice available?

Not necessarily. I'm sure they have good lawyers but not necessarily the best

The difference with Starmer is, politics aside he is unquestionably a top lawyer.

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:32 pm

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:You don't think the government already has the use of the best legal advice available?

The difference with Starmer is, politics aside he is unquestionably a top lawyer.

The current Attorney General, Geoffrey Cox, has a much longer and more various legal career than Keir Starker. Both domestically and internationally.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Phil71 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

The current Attorney General, Geoffrey Cox, has a much longer and more various legal career than Keir Starker. Both domestically and internationally.

Yes I've read his bio and to his credit he does seem to be dispensing his advice to the government in an independent way. The problem with the law and politics is, what you need is impartial advice and politicians are rarely impartial

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate