British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:07 am

EliteKiller wrote:From a British Politics point of view this looks at first glance like shooting yourself in the foot big time ... but it's not quite what it seems

Nigel Darroch was already out come December ... he's a May posting and would not have survived under a new PM ... leaking these documents allows Boris to get the shit-storm over with and the blame falling squarely on Darroch and May ... this stuff would have come out the second Darroch left anyway, so best to get it done on May's watch ...

Trump has played along stirring the pot but carefully aiming all his tweets at the departing PM and Ambassador ... in comes Boris with his newly appointed Ambassador to be welcomed as a 'fresh start' by Trump ... Darroch is now a busted flush nothing he says will matter anymore

It's a train-wreck but also clever politics ... top diplomats and civil servants DO NOT leak this stuff without a nod and a wink ... it's all part of the game.

If you're not convinced then consider these details -

Someone inside the British system deliberately amassed a stash of his assessments, then chose the moment of maximum impact to leak it. This was not a spontaneous decision to make public a single document: it required premeditation and therefore an agenda.

The collection of confidential memos from Darroch to senior officials in London was turned over to Isabel Oakeshott, a pro-Brexit journalist

The deliberate leaking of Kim Darroch’s email was aimed at undermining him, so the new un-elected Tory PM can appoint a Trumpian patsy to Washington. I wonder who might have been behind such a thing?

Love a good conspiracy theory .... especially when it's probably true ....

This is exactly it. It was probably leaked by someone who probably expects a promotion under Boris..........
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 am

Then Boris rides to the rescue of the great relationship, and Donald says he loves him and thinks he'll do a much better job than that idiot May (in so many words - or maybe he'll just use those exact words!).

Boris will spend the night in the Whitehouse, and people will hear, "Goodnight Donald.", followed by, "Night night Boris."

And they all lived happily ever after.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm

The ambassador has resigned.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Response to his resignation from the head of the Diplomatic Service

Over the last few difficult days you have behaved as you have always behaved over a long and distinguished career, with dignity, professionalism and class. The Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary and whole of the public service have stood with you: you were the target of a malicious leak; you were simply doing your job. I understand your wish to relieve the pressure on your family and your colleagues at the Embassy; I admire the fact that you think more of others than yourself. You demonstrate the essence of the values of British public service.

"I want to stress my deep appreciation for all you have done over the last four decades. In a series of demanding roles - including National Security Adviser and Permanent Representative to the European Union - you have loyally served the government of the day without fear or favour. We have been lucky to have you as a friend and colleague. You are the best of us."

A non political person brought down by a political plot

We dont want people who fear honesty in positions like Ambassador to the United States. If Boris or his people are behind this he proves himself again to be unfit for office
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Shameful series of events - stupid of a seasoned diplomat to put such comments in writing, but who hasn't been stupid - once it came out he was always going to have to go, and happily he went with as much dignity as could be mustered ...

As for the conspiracy theory I put up earlier? Well it's just smoke and mirrors for now, but if it ever comes out that someone at or near the top of the political scene was behind this, then they will hopefully be equally crucified ... somehow I doubt they will have put anything down on memos but you never know ... my guess is that a mystery 'hack' will get the blame, it will keep investigative journos busy for years.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:14 pm

It could just as easily be a remain plot to upset things and discourage people from thinking we can have a healthy trading relationship with America.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm

And one surprising statement from Trump is that he's never met the Ambassador! Really? Is it normal that the representative of the British Crown in America would have never met the President after several years in office?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Phil71 wrote:It could just as easily be a remain plot to upset things and discourage people from thinking we can have a healthy trading relationship with America.

The one thing I've seen eroded over the years is morals and respect from the top down.

Everyone these days acts like a bunch of bratty teenagers who didn't get their own way and wont accept it come hell or high water.

The reason I say that is because the way Remain are behaving ....... I've never seen such flagrant disrespect of democracy, disrespect for the office of an American President or just a complete shunning of a democratic result of the British people.

Firstly I don't like Trump I think he's a d*ck head, secondly, I'm not even so sure we should or if its possible for us to leave the EU and have all the solutions we need in place ....... although I am open to seeing if it can work (want to hear a thorough plan first).

But we as a country need to have some decorum and self respect, if the Americans want to decry Trump then that is their right, he's their President ........ but we as an allied sovereign country should hold our tongues, how does it look to the Americans who voted for Trump to see our political class join with the anti-Trump protesters slating him during a fkin state visit??
Its embarrassing, Trump is foul but he's not Adolf Hitler for the love of god.

Its low brow behaviour because unfortunately we're becoming a low brow country, no wonder everyone's knifing each other like there's no tomorrow ........... the fkin state of the place atm.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:It could just as easily be a remain plot to upset things and discourage people from thinking we can have a healthy trading relationship with America.

The one thing I've seen eroded over the years is morals and respect from the top down.

Everyone these days acts like a bunch of bratty teenagers who didn't get their own way and wont accept it come hell or high water.

The reason I say that is because the way Remain are behaving ....... I've never seen such flagrant disrespect of democracy, disrespect for the office of an American President or just a complete shunning of a democratic result of the British people.

Firstly I don't like Trump I think he's a d*ck head, secondly, I'm not even so sure we should or if its possible for us to leave the EU and have all the solutions we need in place ....... although I am open to seeing if it can work (want to hear a thorough plan first).

But we as a country need to have some decorum and self respect, if the Americans want to decry Trump then that is their right, he's their President ........ but we as an allied sovereign country should hold our tongues, how does it look to the Americans who voted for Trump to see our political class join with the anti-Trump protesters slating him during a fkin state visit??
Its embarrassing, Trump is foul but he's not Adolf Hitler for the love of god.

Its low brow behaviour because unfortunately we're becoming a low brow country, no wonder everyone's knifing each other like there's no tomorrow ........... the fkin state of the place atm.

Its litterally the ambassador's job to give his boss the inside track on the government of his host country. If its a negative report, so be it.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Zedie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Over here we have a right to free speech.

Duncan gave his opinion in a private email to the PM and someone leaked it.

He cant help it that trump is an imbecile. What do you want him to do, lie to his boss about someone who is so stupid they cant even keep their stupidity in on their Twitter account?

Trump doesnt even respect the office hes in, why should anyone else?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Emeryates » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Zedie wrote:Over here we have a right to free speech.

Duncan gave his opinion in a private email to the PM and someone leaked it.

He cant help it that trump is an imbecile. What do you want him to do, lie to his boss about someone who is so stupid they cant even keep their stupidity in on their Twitter account?

Trump doesnt even respect the office hes in, why should anyone else?

There's a huge difference between a government providing a right to free speech, and the fact that you can and do face consequences for said speech.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 am

Darroch made a basic error, in the days of trial by media never put in writing something that if revealed will cost you your job, that's a very silly mistake.

Darroch wrote some stupid stuff, it got revealed, Darroch resigned .... it has nothing to do with free speech (why the f**k is that always a thing) and everything to do with the conditions of the job ...

Try releasing a memo calling one of your firm's major partners "uniquely dysfunctional" or "inept" or "insecure" see what that does for your job prospects.

Darroch himself when resigning said "Since the leak of official documents from this Embassy there has been a great deal of speculation surrounding my position and the duration of my remaining term as ambassador, I want to put an end to that speculation. The current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like"

The blame is on the c**** who leaked the memos ... but the responsibility is on the person who wrote them ... a fact Darroch himself has agreed.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 am

UFGN wrote:Response to his resignation from the head of the Diplomatic Service

Over the last few difficult days you have behaved as you have always behaved over a long and distinguished career, with dignity, professionalism and class. The Prime Minister, Foreign Secretary and whole of the public service have stood with you: you were the target of a malicious leak; you were simply doing your job. I understand your wish to relieve the pressure on your family and your colleagues at the Embassy; I admire the fact that you think more of others than yourself. You demonstrate the essence of the values of British public service.

"I want to stress my deep appreciation for all you have done over the last four decades. In a series of demanding roles - including National Security Adviser and Permanent Representative to the European Union - you have loyally served the government of the day without fear or favour. We have been lucky to have you as a friend and colleague. You are the best of us."

A non political person brought down by a political plot

We dont want people who fear honesty in positions like Ambassador to the United States. If Boris or his people are behind this he proves himself again to be unfit for office

The staunch, unwavering pro-Brexit crowd are as bad as Trump's base when it comes to these things - if anyone is seen as opposing or in the way of their side, they're automatically the bad guys, irrespective of their history. The exact thing happened in America with Robert Mueller, a conservative Republican and former FBI director appointed by George W. Bush, who suddenly became a liberal, cucked elitist once he was appointed head of the Russian interference investigation.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:30 am

Callum wrote: The staunch, unwavering pro-Brexit crowd are as bad as Trump's base when it comes to these things - if anyone is seen as opposing or in the way of their side, they're automatically the bad guys, irrespective of their history. The exact thing happened in America with Robert Mueller, a conservative Republican and former FBI director appointed by George W. Bush, who suddenly became a liberal, cucked elitist once he was appointed head of the Russian interference investigation.

Bad Guys? Pro-Brexit? Trump Base? Muller? Liberal? Elitist?..... agenda much?

This is about an experienced UK diplomat who was let down by a whistle-blower - nothing more nothing less - by his own admission he shouldn't have put his personal feelings into an official document, but who hasn't done that.

The issue is that once some c*** had released that information then his diplomatic position became untenable, he knew it and he resigned ....

Was this a plot by Brexitiers? US intelligence? anti Boris? pro Boris? Remainers? Liberals? Elitists?... who the f**k knows, no doubt there are pros and cons to all those conspiracy theories.

Seems more likely that as we are now hearing that the leak came from the embassy, it was probably a disgruntled staffer or a local hacker ... but until or indeed if ever the truth comes out, it's all guesswork

How you turn that into Bad Guys? Pro-Brexit? Trump Base? Muller? Liberal? Elitist? well only you can know that .......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 pm

UFGN wrote:Its litterally the ambassador's job to give his boss the inside track on the government of his host country. If its a negative report, so be it.

While true the language he used was not professional and even more so ........... if your going to use that language you certainly don't allow it to see the light of day.

England needed to set an example here even if it was just to keep up appearances, he should of been sacked for breach of confidentiality at the least.

What if he had leaked something of national security?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate