British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:54 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:I think the referendum should be between boris' deal and no deal.

UFGN is looking for you.

:cold2:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:2nd referendum must be the only way to break the deadlock. Two options, vote for Boris’s deal or vote to stay.

No no, that is very undemocratic. It should be 3 options if we really have to. No deal, Remain or Boris' deal.

You do know that means the end of Brexit then right?

Do the maths.

Your splitting the Leave vote and letting Remain corral all their votes into one.

For e.g .............

30% Leave Deal

30% No Deal

40% Remain

Remain wins by majority, talk about a backfire.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:10 pm

I’ve thought about three choices and the various ways it could be done.

But I’m convinced now that it should be a straightforward two way choice - which in this case would be Boris’ deal vs Remain.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Apparently the second referendum ammendment on tuesday will fail but a customs union one will pass. Surely a referendum is more preferable than that and I think there is every good chance that leave will win again.

Also I didn't realise this but the motion passed on Saturday. I thought the government pulled it but apparently it went through without being contested. So parliament actually agreed to the deal, the right wing media and government being quite disingenuous with their reporting. Parliament actually said yes to something for once, they just don't like that it stops "no deal" and requires a bit more time to actually look at the details. That is what I am reading from some political commentators anyway.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:Apparently the second referendum ammendment on tuesday will fail but a customs union one will pass. Surely a referendum is more preferable than that and I think there is every good chance that leave will win again.

Also I didn't realise this but the motion passed on Saturday. I thought the government pulled it but apparently it went through without being contested. So parliament actually agreed to the deal, the right wing media and government being quite disingenuous with their reporting. Parliament actually said yes to something for once, they just don't like that it stops "no deal" and requires a bit more time to actually look at the details. That is what I am reading from some political commentators anyway.

I dont understand at all. If the deal has been waved through why are they still having a vote next week?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:47 pm

I am not quite sure either (about tomorrow that is, Tuesday is the WAB). I think that the motion on Saturday pre approves the deal but does not explicitely approve it until everything is done but the meaningful vote tomorrow will approve it there and then? That doesn't sound right, maybe Lewis Goodall is just talking about the letwin ammendment and not the deal. Something was nodded through though after the Letwin vote, I saw the footage on the news.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lewis_goodal ... 4281020418

Read this though, apparently this guy knows what he is on about and a lot of news desks us his info for their articles.

Edit: On further reading it seems that it was nodded through and that the meaningful vote tomorrow should be stopped as 'out of order' by Bercow because the deal has already been agreed, albeit with the Letwin ammendment.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Yeah I need to catch up on this because I was out yesterday and today so haven't see any of it.

Edit: Oh dear, well I'll say one thing, Jeremy Corbyn at least did his job today and gave a decent rebuttle to Boris Johnsons inspiring speach of the "possibilities" of British independence.

But the facts are looking like this, the British economy is set up to take advantage of the Customs Union and Single market, to come out of those means additional costs on goods going to Europe and vice versa upsetting lots of businesses in the UK.
Yes, we buy more than we sell, but is the deliverable answer to really tip the apple cart of a trade agreement with people just a stone throw away and replace that by trying to buy and sell with countries half way around the world?

We're so interconnected after years of setting up the economy in this way, is it really feasable to pull out of the Single Market?

At long last and well passed its time, Leave have been given the opportunity to present their deal with all of the Leave trimmings to the UK (like they should of done years ago, May's tenure was a complete waste of time) but now its been delivered I'm finding it a bit hollow.

I need to hear more in the coming days of positive detail about how this would be managed about us trading with Europe moving forward.

I have to say they have made a good attempt, definitely better than May's surrender deal ........... but is it quite enough?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 am

DiamondGooner wrote:At long last and well passed its time, Leave have been given the opportunity to present their deal with all of the Leave trimmings to the UK (like they should of done years ago, May's tenure was a complete waste of time) but now its been delivered I'm finding it a bit hollow.

I need to hear more in the coming days of positive detail about how this would be managed about us trading with Europe moving forward.

I have to say they have made a good attempt, definitely better than May's surrender deal ........... but is it quite enough?

It's really quite simple, on the 1st November nothing changes, the EU and the UK continue to Trade under current EU rules for the next twelve months, during that time two things happen: One because the UK is no longer bound by the EU it can negotiate trade deals with every non-EU country in the world, and two it has twelve months to negotiate a new EU / UK trade deal .... people say twelve months isn't long enough but remember the vast majority of that Deal will remain the same as now, and we've already been negotiating this trade deal for three years ... that said if at the end of twelve months there is no agreed trade deal then the Boris Deal lapses and we automatically leave under No Deal ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:34 pm

That is fair. Vote for the second reading as for heavens sake we have to give it a full crack and explore it but defeat the 3 day deadline as that is absolute madness and a motion unfit for any "conservative" and pragmatic politician.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:2nd referendum must be the only way to break the deadlock. Two options, vote for Boris’s deal or vote to stay.

No no, that is very undemocratic. It should be 3 options if we really have to. No deal, Remain or Boris' deal.

Do the maths.

Your splitting the Leave vote and letting Remain corral all their votes into one.

For e.g .............

30% Leave Deal

30% No Deal

40% Remain

It may do, but it would be the most democratic option should they choose to go down the 2nd referendum option. That is the key thing at stake here. Are we a democracy that really respects the will of the people or not?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

Do the maths.

For e.g .............

30% Leave Deal

30% No Deal

40% Remain

Could we do it so that remain had to achieve more votes than the other two put together to win?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:07 pm

ALL VOTERS MAY CHOOSE TO ANSWER ONE QUESTION, OR BOTH QUESTIONS. YOUR ANSWER TO EACH QUESTION WILL BE COUNTED SEPARATELY.

1: LEAVE OR REMAIN

2: IN THE EVENT OF LEAVE WINNING, WOULD YOU PREFER THE GOVERNMENT'S DEAL, OR NO DEAL?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm

UFGN wrote:ALL VOTERS MAY CHOOSE TO ANSWER ONE QUESTION, OR BOTH QUESTIONS. YOUR ANSWER TO EACH QUESTION WILL BE COUNTED SEPARATELY.

2: IN THE EVENT OF LEAVE WINNING, WOULD YOU PREFER THE GOVERNMENT'S DEAL, OR NO DEAL?

You really would like to think ranked choice would be obvious to more people.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:38 pm

LMAO wrote:
UFGN wrote:ALL VOTERS MAY CHOOSE TO ANSWER ONE QUESTION, OR BOTH QUESTIONS. YOUR ANSWER TO EACH QUESTION WILL BE COUNTED SEPARATELY.

You really would like to think ranked choice would be obvious to more people.

This way its as idiot proof as possible

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:12 am

Once again everyone loses .... a Deal is approved but who here doesn't think it will fail in a long drawn out committee stage? EU grant an extension so we can just call a bloody GE ... please just stop this Parliament pissing us about, after three years of failure just go.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate