British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Phil71 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 pm

All the EU have to do is adjust their laws to give special exemption to the Irish border.

That removes the backstop, and her deal would get passed.

The UK could agree to fund a system of monitoring the border traffic to ensure there would be no dramatic increase in traffic. The Irish could also monitor its ports for the same. Job done.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm

The EU said they would never set a precedent like that.

After that announcment by May this is either

(a) a trick to pin the blame on Corbyn and labour when things go wrong or blame it on him if he refuses to talk (which he may do)

or

(b) She has started to back away from the ERG and finally sees cross party consensus as the way to save brexit.

If it is (b) then the indicative votes on Monday must show a majority for something.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:44 pm

I don’t see why they can’t be more flexible with the Irish border. There are no other circumstances anything like it anywhere else in the EU, all things considered.

It would be fairly easy to monitor it in regard to heavily increased traffic etc., and if that does happen it can be dealt with under a joint enterprise between Britain, Ireland and the EU.

In my opinion they are just being bloody minded about it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Phil71 wrote:I don’t see why they can’t be more flexible with the Irish border. There are no other circumstances anything like it anywhere else in the EU, all things considered.

It would be fairly easy to monitor it in regard to heavily increased traffic etc., and if that does happen it can be dealt with under a joint enterprise between Britain, Ireland and the EU.

In my opinion they are just being bloody minded about it.

Its their leverage, why are they going to give it up?

With it they can tie us in good and proper and we can't get out until they're done offering us a deal, a deal they'll only agree to by robbing our fishing waters, Gibraltar, the lot.

Its their trap, without it they don't have much to hold us so of course they're not going to give it up.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm

Its as simple as this, there are Remainers, May's deal, Brexiteer's and Customs Union (Norway) MP's.

All have their agenda's, all don't want to lose and all are cock blocking anything from winning so they don't actually lose.

If something passes the other 3 lose .......... hence the double jeopardy and hung Parliament.

Only a public vote mandate or a joining of two of the factions will get anything over the line.

Remainer's want to work with the Customs union lot but as Ken Clarke said, having a referendum will lose the Conservative Customs Union voters ......... and around in circles we go.

........... also I'm sure May wants another vote. :doh:
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Everyone is calling this out as a scam to blame Corbyn, even Tory friendly commentators and pundits. No one believes she is genuine, especially as Corbyn has been asking for a seat for 2 years and May haas never compromised even once. Either it is a trap or the Tories are genuinely about to fall apart and she is out of options.

A leak has suggested that the attorney general told May to accept whatever it takes to get her deal to go but the fact there has been no resignations and only half hearted criticism from the ERG (for them) the whole thing is extremely whiffy.

Main thing is that labour approach with absolute caution, make every agreement watertight so the next PM cannot rip it up and keep working hard on Monday's indicative votes as this may all be a ruse and they need to say yes to something.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:21 pm

What is May playing at, she sounds like she's conceding but she isn't.

Through all her "I'm willing to talk and agree some approaches to take back to the House for a vote on how to proceed" I heard two important details.

1) May said "The Withdrawal agreement would need to be voted in"

2) "We have to deliver what the public voted for"

Now, what I see there is her being extremely conniving into tricking Labour into agreeing to vote through the Withdrawal then she'll pull out of asking for a Customs Union somehow once she's got this through.
The key to this will be that if she agrees to support a Customs Union but then says, yes I agree but we "first have to pass the Withdrawal agreement" then its a trap .......... and one that borders on illegal.

Second how can she agree to a Customs Union when she know's she has to give up Freedom of movement to get it and still say "We need to deliver on the vote" she know's that won't do it.

She's up to something big here.

I actually think she's trying to trick Parliament into passing her deal in two stages, first the Withdrawal agreement then the harder bits once the dice has been rolled.

Agent May indeed.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:37 pm

I think she's simply trying to make sure she can palm as much of the blame for all this onto Corbyn as possible

The Tory MSM are having a hard time defending their masters so they need a new target
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:36 am

UFGN wrote:I think she's simply trying to make sure she can palm as much of the blame for all this onto Corbyn as possible

The Tory MSM are having a hard time defending their masters so they need a new target

But that's just idiotic .....

The Tories have been in power for the entire Brexit process, sure Corbyn has been about as effective as a chocolate teapot in opposition but at heart he's always been a Leaver anyway so what should we expect, what Corbyn has or hasn't done really doesn't matter.

The entire Brexit balls up will be laid squarely at parliament's feet, to think it can be palmed off onto Corbyn? that's just laughable.

Each constituency come the next GE will take a long hard look at how their elected MP has represented them ... Tory, Labour, Inde will all get the same once over, and I suspect many from all parties will find themselves cast aside.

Dumping the blame on Corbyn? that's just never going to fly ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:17 am

EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:I think she's simply trying to make sure she can palm as much of the blame for all this onto Corbyn as possible

But that's just idiotic .....

The Tories have been in power for the entire Brexit process, sure Corbyn has been about as effective as a chocolate teapot in opposition but at heart he's always been a Leaver anyway so what should we expect, what Corbyn has or hasn't done really doesn't matter.

The entire Brexit balls up will be laid squarely at parliament's feet, to think it can be palmed off onto Corbyn? that's just laughable.

Each constituency come the next GE will take a long hard look at how their elected MP has represented them ... Tory, Labour, Inde will all get the same once over, and I suspect many from all parties will find themselves cast aside.

Dumping the blame on Corbyn? that's just never going to fly ...

Oh but it will. To an extent.

May knows her fanbase.... the section of the conservative vote that supports her and people like her. True blue, unlikely to switch to another party, but right now, angry and frustrated

All they need is a little bit of Corbyn bashing from their life guides the Daily Mail and the Sun, and they'll forget its actually mainly the Tories fault
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:27 am

UFGN wrote:

May knows her fanbase.... the section of the conservative vote that supports her and people like her. True blue, unlikely to switch to another party, but right now, angry and frustrated

All they need is a little bit of Corbyn bashing from their life guides the Daily Mail and the Sun, and they'll forget its actually mainly the Tories fault

Ah I see what you're saying now .... thought you were talking about the masses not the brainwashed acolytes ....

and sure Tory voters will blame Corbyn

and sure Labour voters will blame May

and the vast majority of us will continue to think all MP's are utterly useless self-serving pricks ....

You would hope we could be awoken from our apathy and do something about our outdated electoral system ... but deep down you know we won't ... it will just be more of the same, another bunch off mostly un-qualified MP's in it for the money, elected by less than 25% of the population ... what could possibly go wrong?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 am

EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Ah I see what you're saying now .... thought you were talking about the masses not the brainwashed acolytes ....

and the vast majority of us will continue to think all MP's are utterly useless self-serving pricks ....

You would hope we could be awoken from our apathy and do something about our outdated electoral system ... but deep down you know we won't ... it will just be more of the same, another bunch off mostly un-qualified MP's in it for the money, elected by less than 25% of the population ... what could possibly go wrong?

Far too many people have a vested interest in FPTP and not enough of the general population care enough to force a change

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:25 am

UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Far too many people have a vested interest in FPTP and not enough of the general population care enough to force a change

Even if we did get PR, the past few months have shown that it'd take months to get anything through the House. These people are incapable of reaching a consensus.

It would need a cultural change as well as a change to the system.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:38 am

Phil71 wrote:
UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Even if we did get PR, the past few months have shown that it'd take months to get anything through the House. These people are incapable of reaching a consensus.

It would need a cultural change as well as a change to the system.

I don't find it acceptable that you get career politicians

Who the f**k are these people? Eton, Oxford, some bullshit 'research' job then..... MP? What the f**k is that? Go get some life experience, a real job, meet real people

But again, not enough people care enough

Edit: Case in point David Cameron. Prime Minister but hardly did a days real non political work in his whole life

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:37 am

UFGN wrote:May knows her fanbase....

I don't think that's a thing.

Does such a thing even exist?

She's one of the most hated politicians I've seen who's not committed a war crime.

Labour hates her, Con's hate her, Remain hate her, SNP hates her, DUP barely tolerate her and are exasperated.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate