British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby UFGN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:54 am

Phil71 wrote:The sensible sections of the German media are saying that a trade deal with the UK is vital for German industry.

People need to realise that the EU wasn't created so that bureaucrats could make up rules about the straightness of bananas. It was formed to make trade easier between the member States. It's about money.

A key issue for me is this:

It really doesn't matter if the EU are being reasonable or not. It doesn't matter if they are being "stubborn" or "ideological" or whatever else might prevent a (trade) deal from happening. The only thing that matters is that it hasn't happened.

Remainers repeatedly said that a deal would be very very difficult. Boris et al said otherwise. We were in a strong position.... they need us more..... yadayada.

The leave side seem shocked that the EU is standing up for it's principles on free movement and other issues. It's not surprising at all. You don't have to agree with them but you do have to realise that those are going to be red lines for them.

And by the way, whoever thought Northern Ireland would be such a big sticking point? (!!)

To leave the EU with no trade deal would be completely ridiculous.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 am

ItalianGooner wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
Phil71 wrote:The sensible sections of the German media are saying that a trade deal with the UK is vital for German industry.

People need to realise that the EU wasn't created so that bureaucrats could make up rules about the straightness of bananas. It was formed to make trade easier between the member States. It's about money.

Germany currently sells 60 billion to the UK a year ... the UK sells just 30 billion to Germany ... who has more to lose with no trade deal?

I didn't know the EU was only Germany.

Doh .... do you think the Germans will be happy to lose out on 30 billion just because the rest of the EU is doing less badly ... seriously do you?

FYI - The whole of the EU runs a 68m surplus with the UK ... it's just that half of that surplus is with Germany ... if trade ceased (which of course it won't despite what the Guardian might say) pretty much every EU country would lose out in terms of a trade deficit ...
Last edited by EliteKiller on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:32 am

Hmmm ... what the EU wants, impact on the EU, EU's red lines .... the UK has voted leave, at the end of the day the EU has no say over that ....

Of course a 'deal' would be in the interests of both parties, but no deal won't stop the UK leaving ... just as the 223m of exports, and the 291 billion of imports won't all cease the day we leave .... it's the real world people not fantasy economics .....

Rather than bitching about who said what in pre-election bullshit ... come on nobody still believes manifestos do they? ... the UK needs to accept the fact we're leaving in March, stop all the internal squabbling, and just get the best deal possible done .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:48 am

EliteKiller wrote:Hmmm ... what the EU wants, impact on the EU, EU's red lines .... the UK has voted leave, at the end of the day the EU has no say over that ....

Of course a 'deal' would be in the interests of both parties, but no deal won't stop the UK leaving ... just as the 223m of exports, and the 291 billion of imports won't all cease the day we leave .... it's the real world people not fantasy economics .....

Rather than bitching about who said what in pre-election bullshit ... come on nobody still believes manifestos do they? ... the UK needs to accept the fact we're leaving in March, stop all the internal squabbling, and just get the best deal possible done .....

"Britain is controlled by the EU, we need our sovereignty back".

"The UK has voted leave, at the end of the day the EU has no say over that"

Pick one.

Dat realisation for Brexiteers when they finally realise what no deal brexit actually means (Apparently this is the definition of brexit ie come out completely) and join Somalia as the only country operating outside WTO rules is going to be epic.

All the luxuries and necessities you enjoy and complain about constantly will be decimated.

Maybe that's the real end game for brexiteers. Make the UK so unattractive by destroying the economy, economic migrants and other foreigners will stay away, thus leaving GB as an island of natural born Brits that haven't got an option to leave?

Force the working class into accepting the lowest jobs migrants used to do like fruit picking and toilet cleaning because every f***ing thing is privatised and costs money ie healthcare, policing, emergency services, social services etc.

The 'I didn't think it would affect me' mentality will be strong once brexiteers realise that less people to fill jobs means shrinking economy which means less for everyone.

It's whether that will balance with the reduced cost to care for a larger population.

But this relies on the people in power, the born liars and elitists that are driving Brexit, not exploiting labour laws etc to fleece the leftovers in the country.

Ask the cabbies who saved them from uber.

Ask Wales, Cornwall and the north who gave a shit when the British govt didn't or couldn't stump up for essential infrastructure.

Good luck to you and yours, you genuinely deserve the Brexit you're clambering for.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 am

Zedie, your head is up your arse with that statement.

You really have swallowed project fear hook line and sinker haven't you? this is why people can't take Remain seriously.

If Britain falls out of the EU with no deal Britain will operate on WTO rules, the same rules we already operate under with China, America, Africa and ANY other nation we trade with outside of the EU.
What it doesn't mean us we fall into armageddon, it doesn't mean the electricity switches off or our gas supplies run out, the sky doesn't come falling in and we're left without food and water.

............. especially if the Gov't actually bothered to prepare for it in advance.

I'm sorry but the attitude of "See what the Brexiteers have done" is un-genuine, its not the Brexiteers fault the Gov't refuse to prepare for it and instead chase this unrealistic dream of Soft Brexit.

"If" we leave with No Deal and then "if" it goes terribly wrong then you will have a point, but the Gov't should face prison charges if they carry on the way they have and it all goes pear shaped.
No one is saying No Deal is "better" but if we car crash as a nation because the Con's don't bother to prepare properly for No Deal then its not Brexits fault their in fkin denial.

Half the Con party is trying to tell them so, May is not listening.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:10 pm

DG I'm sorry you don't get to blame the government even if they do f**k it up

You have to remember that some of us take into account the ineptitude of politicians when formulating our opinions

If you didn't factor that in, you are just as much to blame. If you hoped for the best, after seeing who would be running the show, then really.....
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Can anyone explain the logic of JC's position at conference today? He's just said that "unless the agreement struck in Brussels can deliver “exactly the same benefits” as membership of the single market and the customs union, Labour would vote it down"

The EU have replied with “I’m sorry to say it so callously: there is something more important for us than the future of the UK, and that’s the future of the EU,” he said. “Any decision that would give European citizens the feeling you can exit the EU and keep all the advantages would be suicidal, and we won’t make that decision.”

So very clearly Labour are now going to vote against the referendum result, by rejecting any leave scenario that the EU / UK can possibly put on the table ... there's no way we can expect to stop paying and still keep all the benefits, that's patently absurd JC must know that ....

What does he hope to gain, nearly two thirds of Labour constituencies voted Leave, by going against them he's giving the Tories an opportunity to blame Labour for what is the Tories total failure to get a Leave deal negotiated ... how on earth does that benefit JC or Labour ...

Maybe I'm missing something but this just seems plain daft .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:23 pm

UFGN wrote:DG I'm sorry you don't get to blame the government even if they do f**k it up

You have to remember that some of us take into account the ineptitude of politicians when formulating our opinions

If you didn't factor that in, you are just as much to blame. If you hoped for the best, after seeing who would be running the show, then really.....

That's not how it works at all.

If its deliberate sabotage then how is that not their fault?

Also what do you mean "If you didn't factor that in, you are just as much to blame" blame for what? I didn't vote, I'm just stating my view on what's transpiring, I know your looking for someone to say "I told you so" but to blame someone who is not responsible for the referendum outcome is a bit of a stretch.

.......... and again, we STILL don't no what WTO, No Deal looks like, we haven't even got it yet!

We are still in the EU as we speak.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:31 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:DG I'm sorry you don't get to blame the government even if they do f**k it up

That's not how it works at all.

If its deliberate sabotage then how is that not their fault?

Also what do you mean "If you didn't factor that in, you are just as much to blame" blame for what? I didn't vote, I'm just stating my view on what's transpiring, I know your looking for someone to say "I told you so" but to blame someone who is not responsible for the referendum outcome is a bit of a stretch.

.......... and again, we STILL don't no what WTO, No Deal looks like, we haven't even got it yet!

We are still in the EU as we speak.

Look at Rees Mogg ffs

Look at Boris f***ing Johnson

Look at the Tories history of always backing the elite

Look at civil rights butcher Therisa May. (Your mate, remember her?!)

Then look at Jeremy bloody Corbyn and this current Labour leadership

And finally the bloody DUP. Fair enough not known about at the time of the vote that they'd end up propping up the Government

YES

Anyone who looked at that lot and hoped for the best outcome is an utter fool

Our economy is just recovering from a horrible period, now this. Self inflicted, ridiculous and completely avoidable.

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Zedie wrote:"Britain is controlled by the EU, we need our sovereignty back".

"The UK has voted leave, at the end of the day the EU has no say over that"

Pick one.

Why? Currently the EU have control of a whole range of EU policies, policies that the UK as a member of the EU is obligated to follow .... however the EU had zero influence on the UK's referendum as this was a purely UK matter ... do you now understand the difference?

Dat realisation for Brexiteers when they finally realise what no deal brexit actually means (Apparently this is the definition of brexit ie come out completely) and join Somalia as the only country operating outside WTO rules is going to be epic.

So you're saying that every country not in the EU is unable to join the WTO ... since when?

All the luxuries and necessities you enjoy and complain about constantly will be decimated.

I've seen more luxuries and necessities than you can shake a stick at in the Middle East ... as far as I know they're not in the EU ....

Maybe that's the real end game for brexiteers. Make the UK so unattractive by destroying the economy, economic migrants and other foreigners will stay away, thus leaving GB as an island of natural born Brits that haven't got an option to leave?

Just 'fear' rhetoric and speculation ....

Force the working class into accepting the lowest jobs migrants used to do like fruit picking and toilet cleaning because every f***ing thing is privatised and costs money ie healthcare, policing, emergency services, social services etc.

More 'fear' bullshit, Norway has a far higher standard of living than the UK yet they're not in the EU

The 'I didn't think it would affect me' mentality will be strong once brexiteers realise that less people to fill jobs means shrinking economy which means less for everyone.

Why would there be less people to fill jobs? do you think people will stop coming to the UK for work? they came before we were in the EU by the 100's of thousands why not now?

But this relies on the people in power, the born liars and elitists that are driving Brexit, not exploiting labour laws etc to fleece the leftovers in the country.

More 'fear' bullshit

Ask the cabbies who saved them from uber.

Ask the general public who saved them from overcharging cabbies ....

Ask Wales, Cornwall and the north who gave a shit when the British govt didn't or couldn't stump up for essential infrastructure.

Seriously we give 13 billion to the EU they give 5 billion back and we should be grateful ....

Good luck to you and yours, you genuinely deserve the Brexit you're clambering for

Yes the 52% of the population that voted Leave do genuinely deserve to be listened to ..................

EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:43 pm

UFGN wrote:
Look at Rees Mogg ffs

And finally the bloody DUP. Fair enough not known about at the time of the vote that they'd end up propping up the Government

YES

Our economy is just recovering from a horrible period, now this. Self inflicted, ridiculous and completely avoidable.

You just described Parliament in its current state.

I've stated numerous times British politics right now is a farce, incompetence all over the show.

............ but what's your answer to that? Labour is a mess, the Cons are in civil war and we have a Remainer sabotaging what I think everyone has to face up to the fact that Leave means "No Deal".

They have to be held to account, we can't just stop the country because the Gov't are inept, in fact its about time they were given something to do to expose their complete lack of competence, these people should not be running the country.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Look at Rees Mogg ffs

YES

You just described Parliament in its current state.

I've stated numerous times British politics right now is a farce, incompetence all over the show.

............ but what's your answer to that? Labour is a mess, the Cons are in civil war and we have a Remainer sabotaging what I think everyone has to face up to the fact that Leave means "No Deal".

They have to be held to account, we can't just stop the country because the Gov't are inept, in fact its about time they were given something to do to expose their complete lack of competence, these people should not be running the country.

We need a new party. This can't carry on.

The EU situation is very bad I'm afraid and I have no ideas to make it better. My idea was not to leave.

Beyond that, moving forward we need a new party. And we need new blood in parliament.

And we need rid of the house of lords as well. Replace it with an elected chamber based on expertise. Let's get the best and most experienced people from all walks of life in to hold the Commons to account. The best lawyers, senior doctors, social workers, business people, army officers, logistics experts etc etc, all elected by the people

UFGN

Postby ItalianGooner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Labour would get a better deal, simply because they get along better with the EU. Some of you are not factoring that in.

Labout have some sort of trust here in Europe. If they agree to a single market/ Customs Union, we know that they won't change 2 years down the line. With the current government, we do not have that sort of trust.

UFGN, you are a sensible person. I made a decision 10 years ago to shift to Italy and leave behind the cesspool that is Conservative Britain. You should do the same, and get nationality.
ItalianGooner
Michael Thomas

Re:

Postby UFGN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:45 pm

ItalianGooner wrote:
UFGN, you are a sensible person. I made a decision 10 years ago to shift to Italy and leave behind the cesspool that is Conservative Britain. You should do the same, and get nationality.

I can't seriously consider living abroad until I retire. But I'm extremely frustrated with how things have worked out in the UK

People seem hell bent on wrecking the county. There's so much negativity about now.

Like Blair or loathe him, at least his message was positive.

UFGN

Re: Re:

Postby ItalianGooner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm

UFGN wrote:
ItalianGooner wrote:

I can't seriously consider living abroad until I retire. But I'm extremely frustrated with how things have worked out in the UK

People seem hell bent on wrecking the county. There's so much negativity about now.

Like Blair or loathe him, at least his message was positive.

True

At least, get Irish dual Nationality or something to keep the option open.
ItalianGooner
Michael Thomas

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate