British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Jedi wrote:
StLGooner wrote:We shot down one of their drones the other day too. I'm sure in response to shooting one of ours down.

Apparently the UK seized one of Iran's tankers that was heading towards Syria and ignoring EU sanctions.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48865030

Not just EU sanctions either. Syria is subject to one of the most comprehensive set of international sanctions ever put in place - by just about everyone - including the UN.
Last edited by Phil71 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm

We need to respond with threats rather than diplomacy in this case.

I wonder how good their airforce is? I'm guessing a bit shit. Send some of our chaps over from the Cypriot airbases and give them a gentle tap on the shoulder to remind them who we are
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 pm

One thing that may avert direct action is the fact that there are apparently no British citizens aboard the tanker.

Iran's biggest problem here is that their actions are increasing the price of oil, which affects everyone who's reliant on oil from that region - the biggest customer of which is China! The cost to the Chinese if this continues will run into many billions of dollars.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 am

Phil71 wrote:One thing that may avert direct action is the fact that there are apparently no British citizens aboard the tanker.

Iran's biggest problem here is that their actions are increasing the price of oil, which affects everyone who's reliant on oil from that region - the biggest customer of which is China! The cost to the Chinese if this continues will run into many billions of dollars.

The whole purpose behind Iran unsettling the gulf is to increase the price of oil ... Iran has to sell it's oil on the grey/black market it needs to drive the oil price as high as possible this is pretty much the only way Iran can generate foreign cash ... the US knows this and is trying to keep the oil price down that's the most effective sanction it can impose ...

Keeping the oil price down is an area where the US and China are aligned ... whilst China support Iran they support China first ... there is no way Iran is wining this fight ... grabbing tankers is a desperate throw of the dice, very much doubt the UK or the US will take the bait ... they will just keep on turning the crew with more sanctions.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:56 am

Philip Hammond says he'll resign if Johnson gets in as he doesn't share the same beliefs.

You'd have been pushed anyway Phil - and you know that. You're not fooling anyone. Bye bye. Thanks for the boredom.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:08 am

They're scrambling now, the Con Remainer's know the game is up.

Its disgusting how they've been allowed to waste 3 years of our lives trying to undermine the result.

I blame Leave just as much for that though in particular Boris, he's doing now what he should of done at the result and attempting to deliver on his promises.

............ tbh I don't believe he'll get it done at, I don't think Leave has enough solutions to the issues they'll face to get this through Parliament.

We could of skipped all this in the first 2 years if he had stepped up in the beginning.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:48 am

I don't think he could have gained the support three years ago. The centre ground remainers were in control. That's how May managed to get straight in without a fight after Cameron quit. I imagine the general consensus in the Party said don't oppose her or you'll fail.

So he has had to bide his time. Fair play to him for walking away from what he recognised as an unwinnable mess early on.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:36 am

Phil71 wrote:I don't think he could have gained the support three years ago. The centre ground remainers were in control. That's how May managed to get straight in without a fight after Cameron quit. I imagine the general consensus in the Party said don't oppose her or you'll fail.

So he has had to bide his time. Fair play to him for walking away from what he recognised as an unwinnable mess early on.

Very much think you've nailed it ... whilst Leave won the vote the parliament was very pro-remain ... no way they were going to accept any Leave deal let alone No Deal ...

Now with an election a real possibility all those Remain MP's in strongly Leave constituencies are feeling that sphincter pinch ... like mots Remainers they thought time would swing support their way, but if anything the opposite has occurred ... Scotland and the big Cities are Remain but the vast swathes, and more importantly vast number of seats, in rural England are more Leave than they ever were ... even No Deal is now on the table ....

Boris is one lucky fecker ... always seems to fall into a job at the right time ... it could just be that now is the right time to get parliament to back Leave ... not because the MP's want to, or that they have all suddenly switched sides, but purely on the grounds of job protection ...

If you're in an inner city seat then voting Remain is no problem ... but if you're in a 60% Leave seat, you know that if you vote Remain you're going come the next GE ... as always it will be self-preservation over principles ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Emeryates » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Anyway, in ignored news, it was the BREXIT party who leaked Kim's stuff to the US. Treason surely?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... och-cables
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Emeryates wrote:Anyway, in ignored news, it was the BREXIT party who leaked Kim's stuff to the US. Treason surely?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... och-cables

Speaking of ignoring things, you appear to have ignored these points from the article;

Edginton admitted to believing he could be arrested for his role even though he was not “the leaker”.

Edginton, who has vowed to protect the identity of his “trusted source”, said he spoke to serving and former civil servants to find out about their role during preparations for Brexit. He said he was passed a letter written by Darroch describing the White House as “inept”.

So It wasn't 'the Brexit Party' who leaked the information. Do you really believe freelance journalists are privy to politically sensitive letters written by the UK Ambassador?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:04 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
Phil71 wrote:I don't think he could have gained the support three years ago. The centre ground remainers were in control. That's how May managed to get straight in without a fight after Cameron quit. I imagine the general consensus in the Party said don't oppose her or you'll fail.

She got in because all of the leavers pulled out of the running. Let's not rewrite history.

Hammond is walking because he doesnt want to be tied to the impending clusterfuck that will be boris johnson in charge.

I would be amazed if he lasted 4 years without creating an international incident of some sort.

Also think hes more likely to follow the US into whatever land invasion they need to to stave off an impeachment attempt for trump.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Zedie wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

She got in because all of the leavers pulled out of the running. Let's not rewrite history.

Hammond is walking because he doesnt want to be tied to the impending clusterfuck that will be boris johnson in charge.

I would be amazed if he lasted 4 years without creating an international incident of some sort.

Also think hes more likely to follow the US into whatever land invasion they need to to stave off an impeachment attempt for trump.

As I said, I think they all backed off at the time because they were told they wouldn't get the support they needed.

And Hammond is leaving before he gets pushed.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Phil71 wrote:Fair play to him for walking away from what he recognised as an unwinnable mess early on.

He ran away with his tail between his legs and simply bided his time, waiting for the opportunity to take power. That's all he cares about. He's an awful man.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:36 pm

More spin than a roundabout to come to the conclusion that hes somehow done the right thing

Do me a favour the bloke is a complete snake
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm

All he did was back away when he realised he wouldn't get it, then waited for his chance.

That's politics.

You rarely get two cracks at going for the top job. You have to get your timing right. Just as everyone else who took part in this leadership contest got their timing wrong, when it was obvious from the off who the winner would be.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate