British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:04 pm

UFGN wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:NHS is on the table, yeah? Yep, just wait until the next parents evening and they start suggesting your kid needs Adderall because they think they suffer from 'ADHD'.

We'll have prescription drug problem with the next generation in no time.

This is real btw

Ask any of our Americans on GW what proportion of kids in the US are on Ritalin or similar

I spent 10 years working with Autistic kids and teenagers. (In the UK of course.) Full time for nearly 10 years. I worked with people with severe low functioning autism. Thats f***ing industrial strength autism to you

In all that time, do you know how many kids I dealt with who were on Ritalin?

Four.

Yep. Comes off as a joke but they have some serious problems over there and how they over prescribe drugs even to kids who have 'behaviour' problems. It's a real issue and quite scary.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:45 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:NHS is on the table, yeah? Yep, just wait until the next parents evening and they start suggesting your kid needs Adderall because they think they suffer from 'ADHD'.

We'll have prescription drug problem with the next generation in no time.

This is real btw

Ask any of our Americans on GW what proportion of kids in the US are on Ritalin or similar

I spent 10 years working with Autistic kids and teenagers. (In the UK of course.) Full time for nearly 10 years. I worked with people with severe low functioning autism. Thats f***ing industrial strength autism to you

In all that time, do you know how many kids I dealt with who were on Ritalin?

Four.

Yep. Comes off as a joke but they have some serious problems over there and how they over prescribe drugs even to kids who have 'behaviour' problems. It's a real issue and quite scary.

There's a simple answer to that ............ its because the US Gov't treat medication like their selling drugs (and I mean the illegal kind).

They make money by selling pills and treatments the same way people make money by selling coke and they have just as bad morals, kids, elderly, the vulnerable, the broke, whoever .......... they'll diagnose you and pump you full of stuff.

............. and again as I said earlier, its symptomatic of the "Cash for health" attitude America has.

For anyone who doubts this look at this (I've even heard the actual tape) .............

Transcript of taped conversation between President Richard Nixon and John D. Ehrlichman (1971) that led to the HMO act of 1973

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Transcript_of_taped_conversation_between_President_Richard_Nixon_and_John_D._Ehrlichman_(1971)_that_led_to_the_HMO_act_of_1973:

Disgusting and just a peak into what goes on in the White house.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Corbyn. Britain’s biggest protestor.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Someone popped the Trump baby balloon today and the organiser said "It’s not surprising the far right would want to meet freedom of expression with violence".

I couldn't help but laugh at the shear hypocrisy of that when the left have been assaulting people (including an 81 year old man) that don't agree with their views for the last months. Guess they don't like reaping what they sow.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:09 pm

Trump is trying to backtrack on saying the NHS is "up for grabs now" but after he has said it earlier and the ambassador said it at the weekend no one is buying that s*** for one second. He has obviously had a word in the ear from a few no deal acolytes as it has been very bad PR for their cause but judging by the social media reaction it has not worked. I am glad some people are finally starting to wake up over this.

Apparently the Irish lobby has been working Nancy Polosi to take a stand against any trade deal if a hard border is created as a result of Brexit and according to reports she is on board so we may even end up with a situation where a US/UK deal may struggle to get through the house in the US and parliament here. Lets hope anyway, if we have to suffer the reality of Brexit at least a failed US trade deal will soften the blow.

As for Corbyn, the man is weak sauce, great as a man on the fringes probably but he has no jazz when it comes to the real game of thrones. They have no chance of a majority until they get new leadership, the only chance he possibly has is being the senior partner in a coalition government and God know who would agree to joining them as the Lib Dems more than likely won't.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:28 pm

UFGN wrote:You haven't addressed any of the issues I raised, youve just shrugged your sholders and trotted out some crap about it being the end of civilisation as we know it. What your suggesting is terrible. You don't have a solution so don't pretend what you've put forward is worth anything.

That's an incredible "dodge the issue" even for you

I asked what's your solution to raising an additional 20/30/40m ...

You replied "You don't have a solution" .... WTF

You are the one demanding it gets fixed, you need to come up with a solution ... head-in-sand is not an answer
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:34 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:You haven't addressed any of the issues I raised, youve just shrugged your sholders and trotted out some crap about it being the end of civilisation as we know it. What your suggesting is terrible. You don't have a solution so don't pretend what you've put forward is worth anything.

You are the one demanding it gets fixed, you need to come up with a solution ... head-in-sand is not an answer

Firstly im not demanding anything. This is all about you ripping your cock off over the thought of a private health care system. Its you who wants changes, not me. You haven't made a case. Youve chatted a load of crap. And im not the only one who's called you out for it either.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Someone popped the Trump baby balloon today and the organiser said "It’s not surprising the far right would want to meet freedom of expression with violence".

I couldn't help but laugh at the shear hypocrisy of that when the left have been assaulting people (including an 81 year old man) that don't agree with their views for the last months. Guess they don't like reaping what they sow.

Even worse considering they've been executing politicians in broad daylight. No wait, that's the far right
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:02 am

Donald Trump today on the NHS

"When you're dealing in trade everything is on the table so NHS or anything else, a lot more than that, but everything will be on the table, absolutely."

The right's posterboy over here confirming exactly what the plan is.

Brexiteers scrambling to simultaneously denounce the under funding of the NHS, cover up the 350m a week bus slogan that got a shed load to vote Brexit all while simultaneously denying that we are about to get molested by some of the dirtiest c**** in global politics.

Brexiteers are single handedly f***ing up the standing of this union all while genuinely believing they are acting in the best interests of it, even in the face of mountains of hard evidence.

Ffs how can you still back this and claim itll be good for the country?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 am

I guess Donald Trump himself is project fear loool
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Cash for health is a recipe for disaster and without an National Health Service the Private companies don't have a standard they need to be superior to, only each other and that can easily as with America, turn into a race to the bottom.

In the countries it does work in its because the Gov't are held to account, I don't trust British politicians at all, especially when they get a taste of the money.

We'll have medication soaring and all sorts because once the cats out of the bag that's it, people will have to re-mortgage their homes to pay for operations, life long debt for incurable conditions, you name it .......... no thanks.

Every decent country in the West bar a couple has a National Insurance for a reason.

Couldn't agree more DG ... UFGN just wants to bury his head in the sand and wish that a broken system suddenly magically gets fixed - that ain't happening

We must keep the NHS - free at the point of delivery basic heath care is a corner-stone of UK culture - it has to be preserved

The question is how?

When you say "every decent country in the West has National Insurance" you are bang on, however almost none provide the unlimited levels of services and medication that the UK attempts to do, most provide basic services with 'non-standard' services and prescription medicine chargeable, or covered under private insurance.

Germany has the oldest social health system it costs then 10% of their GDP they are looking at ways to reduce this via extending private health insurance to all workers, thus moving them away from statutory health insurance (NI as we know it) - like the UK they are struggling to keep the system running - rating avearge

Spain provides basic NI but that only covers about 15% of Health costs, the rest is all covered by private health insurance - excellent

France has national health insurance that covers 70% of GP care and 35% of prescription medication - very good

UK has frankly a weird system, the National Health Service is now devolved and Scotland, NI, Wales are doing their own thing - average

The problem all these countries faced or are now facing is rising costs - as treatments and medications advance the cost of delivering them grows exponentially every year

France tackled it by reducing the amount the state pays for ... no longer free but subsidised
Spain tackled it by only providing basic services free and everything else under private insurance
Germany is tackling it by giving people an opt-out to private medical insurance
Holland has a 60-40 state funded - privately funded split

None of these countries have abandoned the national health system, they all still own the vast majority of medical facilities and employ 10's of 1000's of medical professionals, what they don't do is pay for 100% - they simply can't afford it

Only the countries with high income small populations such as Norway, Sweden, Switzerland still have fully tax-payer funded health care - in all three countries health care is either entirely or at least partly run by the private sector.

England (the NHS is now devolved in the UK) needs to do something ... either reduce the free services, or find another way of getting paid more money ... that's what every major western country has already done or is in the process of doing ... we can't hold back the tide ....

The US model is utter shite ... they spend a staggering 16% of their GDP on medical services and about 80% of that is sucked up by Big Pharma ... no way that should ever come anywhere near the UK, project fear might be kicking that around but it's simply not happening.

The days of saying - just stick another 5p on taxes - they are long gone, the ever shrinking percentage of tax payers simply can't cover the ever growing cost of the NHS.

Every other country has or is addressing this issue, so why can't we?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zedie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:14 am

EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:Er well let me see

I support the funding of the NHS through taxation exactly as it has always been funded

If more money is needed we have a treasury whoes job it is to source that funding through the prioritisation of department budgets and ensuring tax yeilds are collected

If the government we have can't deliver on those basic obligations, then we need a new government

OK so you want to carry on doing what we've been doing even though it no longer works ... using a system designed so that the working 80% of the population funded the entire NHS for themselves and the 20% of the population not working ... now that's ratio has dropped to 60% working and 40% not working you still think that will succeed? ... can you not see the blind stupidity in carrying on down that road?

It's only getting worse, in another ten tears time it's likely 50% of the population will no longer be contributing to the NHS, that's children, students, non working parents, retired and the unemployed ... to cover the shortfall in income would require NI rates of about 30% ... is that your idea?

The NHS was originally designed to cost 1% of GDP, that cost due to an ever ageing population, massively increased costs, and it's own success in prolonging life expectancy has now risen to 7% of GDP .... from 11 billion to 140 billion

Your naive "funding of the NHS through taxation" statement would see the country enter it's greatest recession since the 30's .... a 1% NI increase raises about 5 billion, so to pay for the NHS through taxation would require an additional 14% increase in NI ... is that your plan?

Wait you say prioritisation of department budgets - care to suggest where 70 billion will come from? welfare perhaps? If it was that simple to magic 70 billion out of additional tax don't you think it would have been done?

To put it into perspective the NHS cost 20% of the entire UK tax take ... you simply can't squeeze much more out of UK business and the workforce ... not unless you want to become the next Venezuela.

You have to look at alternative funding, the NHS was an unparalleled success, however without radical changes (no not privatisation) it will become an unparalleled disaster ... just wishing that everything will be OK, that simply won't cut it.

Here's a thought. Stop f***ing dropping bombs on random Arab and other world nations we have no business being in. Saves the union billions.

Properly tax rich tax Dodgers. Save the country billions.

Also, where did you get the 40% unemployed part from? Are you seriously including under 16s, the old, infirm etc? Guess we should cut them loose in that case. Maybe farm them off to a retirement colony on the cook islands... jesus wept.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 am

Zedie wrote:Here's a thought. Stop f***ing dropping bombs on random Arab and other world nations we have no business being in. Saves the union billions.

Also, where did you get the 40% unemployed part from? Are you seriously including under 16s, the old, infirm etc? Guess we should cut them loose in that case. Maybe farm them off to a retirement colony on the cook islands... jesus wept.

You do know that the defence industry is one of the UK's biggest earners? you've probably protested against it. So no stopping supplying arms wouldn't save anything it would do the exact opposite costing jobs and tax revenue ....

Great soundbite of course means feck all ... but hey dream on ... rich people don't pay tax blah blah blah ...

I didn't say 40% unemployed I said 40% not working - in fact it's now 45% who don't work ... there is a subtle difference

As usual you're just spouting the same tired old rhetoric - none of which works, has ever worked, or will ever work

We'll get the money from the defence budget - so cutting the Armed Forces by another 50% costing 250,000 tax paying jobs directly and indirectly, that old chestnut ... the entire UK defence budget is around 36 billion not even 25% of what's needed for the NHS

Tax the rich - until there are no more rich and you get zero return - think that's called communism isn't it, and anyway Credit Suisse’s Global Wealth Report estimates that the top 1% of the UK owned about 24% of the UK’s wealth in 2016, they estimated that this group contributed about 20% of the personal income tax take .... so you could try squeezing a bit more but The Laffer Curve (google it) will show you this is actually counter productive.

You need to come up with real answers not just the same failed bullshit of the last fifty years .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:

Considering I work in the industry your discussing and to answer EK's other posts to me I'll answer it this way ..............

How do you save the NHS money and take of some of the strain?

Make Private Health care more attractive to those that can afford it.

This will reduce population usage and reliance of the NHS meaning the current budget would go further as the NHS will have less strain.

So for example an individual with a job paying them £50k or more (£60k+ if London) should be encouraged to strongly consider Private Health Insurance.

Do what we do (where I work) sell them the dream "Better medical care, 1st rate medical professionals offering top of the line surgeons for operations, early intervention health checks, shorter waiting lists" etc.

The Gov't should be encouraging it, or at least encouraging people who have decent jobs to at the very least consider having the type of Insurance I have..............

I have a Private medical Insurance package through work which means if I want to activate it I have to pay £105 for the first consultation then everything after that is covered.

So this means I use the NHS for smaller issues but if I developed a condition or had something more serious or needed an operation I'd put up that initial fee so I can get that higher level of care.

That's a more basic, cheaper package, people with good income usually opt for the full monty anyway where they go exclusively to a Private.

Either way both these options if marketed properly could help relieve strain on the NHS if it became more popular, the amount of money saved from Private operations and the more expensive end of treatment being taken off the NHS's shoulder's would help a lot.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am

I see that hate-filled harridan who was screaming her bile into people's faces yesterday is being named and shamed this morning.

Rightly so. These fanatics are a threat to democracy and freedom of speech. This behaviour of trying to intimidate people who hold different opinions to your own has to stop. The people doing it have to be stopped.

We are heading down a very dark road if using threats, abuse, harassment, violence and intimidation are seen as acceptable behaviour.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate