British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am

I said this a month ago ............

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10312 ... gen-latest

This is deliberate.

There's no middle ground that will be accepted so they are running down the clock and what will end up going to Parliament will be a "No Deal" or "Remain" vote ............ essentially running the referendum again but through our ministers.

May's game here is to not take sides while trying to look like she is doing something, secretly she's hoping there is enough of a majority in Parliament to vote down a "No Deal" with no other option on the table bar keeping up the status quo.

In the mean while it will be full bore Project Fear so that if Parliament does indeed betray the public vote they are hoping to sway enough public support to squeeze it through without being accused of treason.

If anything this has made me support "No Deal" even more, this "See Brexit was a bad idea" because of May's refusal to play her hand properly with the EU is disgusting and undemocratic, the Gov't has decided to use Brexit like a game of Chicken and thinks that the Brexiteers will blink first.

I know they won't and good on them, our democracy is at stake.

UFGN's argument is "See Brexit was a bad idea. you should of known you couldn't trust the Gov't to do it properly" is the saddest fall back argument I've ever seen, so in future he's basically saying the Gov't may as well do whatever they want because we can't trust them to do their job properly when called upon ............ what sort of wet nonsense is that?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I said this a month ago ............

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10312 ... gen-latest

This is deliberate.

There's no middle ground that will be accepted so they are running down the clock and what will end up going to Parliament will be a "No Deal" or "Remain" vote ............ essentially running the referendum again but through our ministers.

May's game here is to not take sides while trying to look like she is doing something, secretly she's hoping there is enough of a majority in Parliament to vote down a "No Deal" with no other option on the table bar keeping up the status quo.

In the mean while it will be full bore Project Fear so that if Parliament does indeed betray the public vote they are hoping to sway enough public support to squeeze it through without being accused of treason.

If anything this has made me support "No Deal" even more, this "See Brexit was a bad idea" because of May's refusal to play her hand properly with the EU is disgusting and undemocratic, the Gov't has decided to use Brexit like a game of Chicken and thinks that the Brexiteers will blink first.

I know they won't and good on them, our democracy is at stake.

UFGN's argument is "See Brexit was a bad idea. you should of known you couldn't trust the Gov't to do it properly" is the saddest fall back argument I've ever seen, so in future he's basically saying the Gov't may as well do whatever they want because we can't trust them to do their job properly when called upon ............ what sort of wet nonsense is that?

.....said a brexiteer in the Daily bloody Express
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby UFGN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:45 am

DG you call it a fall back argument but it's absolutely true

Your argument is

"Dog poo is full of nutrients, and bugs eat it, therefore I should be able to eat it, and what is more I'm going to"

Completely ignoring the fact it's also full of harmful bacteria. That's literally what you're doing.

You ate a dog shit sandwich and now you're blaming everyone else that it made you ill
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:19 pm

UFGN wrote:DG you call it a fall back argument but it's absolutely true

Your argument is

"Dog poo is full of nutrients, and bugs eat it, therefore I should be able to eat it, and what is more I'm going to"

Completely ignoring the fact it's also full of harmful bacteria. That's literally what you're doing.

You ate a dog shit sandwich and now you're blaming everyone else that it made you ill

.............. again, making an assumption that Brexit will be a failure based on???

Its not happened yet.

On top of that the big elephant in the room you keep ignoring, the vote was had, the vote was won for Leave.
Despite my opinion as a non-voter on what idea is better is irrelevant, I back the democratic process and won't sway from that, if Remain had won I would of had the same stance despite whether I agreed with or not, is not the point.

You'll see what happens if and when the democratic process fails, only the Far Left are happy to put ideology ahead of democracy, and that is what turns so many middle ground voters off.

Why would we help give power to a side who's willfully happy to ignore and subvert a public democratic result?

At this point in time, the Brexiteers look like the heroes trying despite the odds to actually deliver the referendum result, the Remainer's are the ones trying at every corner to subvert it.

Its not a good look.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:25 pm

The game of political chicken is this ...........

Leave are prepared to continue to uphold the vote in spite of Theresa May failing to plan or make preparations properly for a "No Deal" and if this country suffers as a result then so be it, but her and her party will feel the ramifications of that for what could be decades.

No one is going to forgive the Tory Remainer's for putting this country at risk, who would vote for a Tory party who can't / won't deliver on a referendum and hurt the countries economy by blatantly offering a Chequer's deal which is already dead.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Predicted ............

Seems she's the only politician brave enough to ask the question.

"It was, however, Heidi Allen’s question that left the prime minister most stumped.

The Conservative MP for South Cambridgeshire asked what option is left “other than going back to the people” if Theresa May “will not entertain an extension of Article 50 and accepts in reality there is no way a no deal will pass through the house”

Struggling to give a clear answer, she said: “If it were the case that it was a no deal then actually it would come back to this house and then we would see what position this house would take.”

MPs from the opposition then began to heckle May as they cried “then what?” but they received no reply.

Then what indeed.

Silly woman, didn't she know this was supposed to be a surprise and not exposed until 2019?
No wonder May was stumped, she was probably thinking "Didn't Heidi get the memo? we're supposed to keep pretending a deal is on the table until the last minute".

I called this crap word for word over a month ago.

It will be "No Deal" it will go to a Parliament vote, the Remainer majority will vote down No Deal leaving us in limbo, that limbo being the status quo, unable to move forward i.e leaving us in the EU.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Who f***ing cares anyway
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:Who f***ing cares anyway

This is a thread about discussing British politics, if you don't care ........... why even look in here let alone post?

That's like going on to a History forum and stating "Who cares about History!", borderline retarded mate.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 am

For the sake of the UK, I hope your government does walk back Brexit. The margin was way too narrow to upend the status quo. And even though your previous government promised to uphold the result of the referendum and delegate to the will of the people, the UK is still a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

Maybe next time, they'll make a legally binding referendum that requires 3/5 or 2/3 majority to move forward.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 am

LMAO wrote:For the sake of the UK, I hope your government does walk back Brexit. The margin was way too narrow to upend the status quo. And even though your previous government promised to uphold the result of the referendum and delegate to the will of the people, the UK is still a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

Maybe next time, they'll make a legally binding referendum that requires 3/5 or 2/3 majority to move forward.

3/5 or 2/3 majority to move forward? is that in some fictitious alternate UK we don't know about? referendum in the UK are never 'legally binding' parliament is sovereign so it can do what it wants ...

We operate a Democratic system of first past the post, if we had to get 3/5 or 2/3 then 90% of MP's would never get elected, and almost no legislation would ever get passed ...

Moving the goalposts, changing the question, revisiting the result ....

The vote was Leave or Remain ... had nothing to do with deals, status quo, or party politics ... just do what the people voted for .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am

LMAO wrote:For the sake of the UK, I hope your government does walk back Brexit. The margin was way too narrow to upend the status quo. And even though your previous government promised to uphold the result of the referendum and delegate to the will of the people, the UK is still a representative democracy, not a direct democracy.

That's not how democracy in this country works.

Majority verdict and that's it.

If it was close the other way it would of been upheld, not upholding the decision is a direct attack on our democratic process and it will have repercussions, 52% of Britain won't trust our political system to deliver on a vote .............. that might get by in America but it won't here, there will be ramifications.

I don't care if someones voted Remain or Leave but if the Gov't upend the vote they've sanctioned, 3x times now by accepting article 50 then no vote held from today will be worth fk all or respecting.
That is what's at stake here, what does a vote result matter if the Gov't can pick and choose which ones it delivers and ones it doesn't.

I predict that when the Gov't screw us over on Brexit i.e if they don't pull us out of the EU, there will be protests and possibly riots and the Conservatives will take a hammering that may last decades.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

That's not how democracy in this country works.

Majority verdict and that's it.

If it was close the other way it would of been upheld, not upholding the decision is a direct attack on our democratic process and it will have repercussions, 52% of Britain won't trust our political system to deliver on a vote .............. that might get by in America but it won't here, there will be ramifications.

I don't care if someones voted Remain or Leave but if the Gov't upend the vote they've sanctioned, 3x times now by accepting article 50 then no vote held from today will be worth fk all or respecting.
That is what's at stake here, what does a vote result matter if the Gov't can pick and choose which ones it delivers and ones it doesn't.

I predict that when the Gov't screw us over on Brexit i.e if they don't pull us out of the EU, there will be protests and possibly riots and the Conservatives will take a hammering that may last decades.

First past the post says hi

The 1951 parliament off the top of my head, and several others, were won by governments which lost the popular vote

Then there's the fact that the most pro Europe party, the Liberal Democrats, is underrepresented in parliament in relation to it's vote share

Then there's the fact that Brexit King Nigel Farage said before the vote that he wanted another vote if he lost by 2%

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't care what Nigel Farage says he doesn't decide the British political system.

We're also not in the 1950's anymore.

Tbh I know you didn't like the result of the referendum but I find it surprising your so willing to throw the rule book this country is standing on to the way side.

I actually find it quite offensive, as someone who studies history only today's self entitled little c*nts have such disrespect for the importance of a fair and democratic political system.

Millions of people in history have died fighting for the right for the people to have their say in how a state runs.
The struggles the ordinary man and blood they've shed to force Kings into giving them a vote with authority is a history shared among most of Europe and beyond.

For recent times just look at Libya and Egypt etc and they had the help of America waying in, Cromwell etc had to go to war to get Parliament to be sovereign, WWII was to avoid an invasion of a dictator who threw Germany's democracy to the floor also.

People should be careful for what they wish for, how would you feel if the Far Right in this country gained power because they're supporters took the same regard for democracy your showing?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I think we'll end up with a deal, but that deal won't be acceptable to many Torys and also we'll get the usual crap from the oppo about how they could get a better deal etc. If the EU cave into us, they know we will be followed by more countries seeking to leave and they have to treat us harshly to put those countries off.

So, that is when all the fun and games will really start...Parliament arguing and finally voting on whether to accept it or not. Apart from the politically inclined, I think the British people regard May as someone handed the shitty end of the stick and trying to achieve the impossible.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:57 pm

The EU will hold out and hold out, and the remainers will hold out and hold out, until the whole thing breaks and we have another referendum.

And I think the UK electorate are so sick of hearing about brexit that they'll voie remain just to get it off the TV.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate