British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Also, with so many businesses leaving the UK for Europe, what sense does it make for the countries that benefit to grant an extension?

Because the EU want the UK to stay in the EU.

Have you been keeping up with the general consensus outside of the UK? I know I haven't. The EU is not just one single voice. There are other countries that want to leave the EU as well. Why would they vote for an extension? If countries like Germany, Netherlands and France are gaining more business as a result of businesses leaving the UK, why vote for an extension and hope the UK stays? Especially if they have done their homework, weighed up the pros and cons and figured out that they'll be fine without the UK.

The EU have made it clear that they won't renegotiate and that this is the final deal so why extend it to go through the process again? It was painful enough getting all the countries to agree on this one deal. The time for renegotiation was months back.

If they thought they'd be better off without us they wouldn't have entered into any sort of deal negotiations in the first place. They'd have just told us to bugger off with no deal.

As it is they have put an enormous amount of time, effort and money into trying to strike a deal that would enable them to stay as closely tied with us as they can. Why would they do that? Why would they keep entertaining Mrs May for further negotiations and further clarifications? Why would Donald Tusk say that those who initiated brexit deserve a special place in hell?
Last edited by Phil71 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Also, with so many businesses leaving the UK for Europe, what sense does it make for the countries that benefit to grant an extension?

Fake News much? .... the UK still sees more foreign investment than Germany and France combined .... so where are all these companies 'leaving the UK' ... sure the level of investment will go down, but it's still a massive positive for the UK not a negative

https://economia.icaew.com/news/december-2018/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

Making one line statements with zero substance ... the very epitome of project fear

When someone uses the term 'Fake News' there is no point in finding an article to back up what's been said. Valid information gets ignored and dismissed.

Let me assume your correct in your assumption. If UK still sees more foreign investment than the other EU countries even with some companies leaving, wouldn't Brexit be a win win for a country like Netherlands or Germany? Why grant an extension? All the members have to agree to an extension.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Fake News much? .... the UK still sees more foreign investment than Germany and France combined .... so where are all these companies 'leaving the UK' ... sure the level of investment will go down, but it's still a massive positive for the UK not a negative

https://economia.icaew.com/news/december-2018/foreign-investment-in-uk-highest-level

Making one line statements with zero substance ... the very epitome of project fear

When someone uses the term 'Fake News' there is no point in finding an article to back up what's been said. Valid information gets ignored and dismissed.

Let me assume your correct in your assumption. If UK still sees more foreign investment than the other EU countries even with some companies leaving, wouldn't Brexit be a win win for a country like Netherlands or Germany? Why grant an extension? All the members have to agree to an extension.

Can you give us any details about these companies that are leaving the UK to completely re-establish themselves in another EU country, and how widespread this apparent exodus is?
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:50 am

Power n Glory wrote:Let me assume your correct in your assumption. If UK still sees more foreign investment than the other EU countries even with some companies leaving, wouldn't Brexit be a win win for a country like Netherlands or Germany? Why grant an extension? All the members have to agree to an extension.

Hard to call ... countries like Singapore, Switzerland, Panama pull in vastly more money for their size than all the major trading bloc countries around them. The danger for the remaining EU countries is that a UK not bound by EU regulation and red tape might steal away huge amounts of business from the EU with tax incentives and reduced compliance laws that the EU just can't match. This is why the EU will not give ground in so many areas, and why a 'No Deal' Brexit is just as scary for the EU as it is for the UK

Italy, Greece and maybe a couple more might try and squeeze a few concessions (more money) for allowing an extension, but in the end they will.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Have you been keeping up with the general consensus outside of the UK? I know I haven't. The EU is not just one single voice. There are other countries that want to leave the EU as well. Why would they vote for an extension? If countries like Germany, Netherlands and France are gaining more business as a result of businesses leaving the UK, why vote for an extension and hope the UK stays? Especially if they have done their homework, weighed up the pros and cons and figured out that they'll be fine without the UK.

The EU have made it clear that they won't renegotiate and that this is the final deal so why extend it to go through the process again? It was painful enough getting all the countries to agree on this one deal. The time for renegotiation was months back.

If they thought they'd be better off without us they wouldn't have entered into any sort of deal negotiations in the first place. They'd have just told us to bugger off with no deal.

As it is they have put an enormous amount of time, effort and money into trying to strike a deal that would enable them to stay as closely tied with us as they can. Why would they do that? Why would they keep entertaining Mrs May for further negotiations and further clarifications? Why would Donald Tusk say that those who initiated brexit deserve a special place in hell?

Donal Tusk is President of the European Council and negotiating is part of the leaving process. As President, of course he wants the UK to stay but I don't know if that's the consensus around Europe. We're still talking about individual countries that have a vote and their own agenda.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Donal Tusk is President of the European Council and negotiating is part of the leaving process. As President, of course he wants the UK to stay but I don't know if that's the consensus around Europe. We're still talking about individual countries that have a vote and their own agenda.

What reason could any of those countries have for not wanting the UK to remain as an EU partner?

I know you've said that there's an exodus of companies fleeing to the continent and re-establishing themselves there to a degree that would apparently boost the economies of these countries to such a degree that forcing the UK out would benefit said countries, - but you haven't provided any details of this.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:10 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Can you give us any details about these companies that are leaving the UK to completely re-establish themselves in another EU country, and how widespread this apparent exodus is?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 92296.html

We won’t know the full extent until we’re finally out of the EU, but from where I work and looking at the housing market, things have stalled and there is uncertainty. That’s my own experience.

But ask around, look around and do your own research.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:23 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

We won’t know the full extent until we’re finally out of the EU, but from where I work and looking at the housing market, things have stalled and there is uncertainty. That’s my own experience.

Most of those things mentioned in the article are strategic decisions that have nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

Nissan are not stopping the manufacture of the X Trail in the UK and going to an EU country. They are going back to the far east with it, because there is a declining interest in diesel cars in Europe. Dyson are not closing down UK operations and moving to the EU. They are expanding their manufacturing arm into the far east. The big banks are moving money around to protect themselves from taxes and any other financial chaos that brexit might cause. Merrill Lynch have said that their decision to migrate a specific division from London to Dublin will be done irrespective of whether the UK leaves the EU or not.

There may be some migration of specific business departments to the EU for strategic reasons, but it will be nowhere near the scale that some scaremongerers are touting around, and it will definitely not be to such a degree that it would outweigh the benefits to EU countries of the UK remaining in the EU.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:06 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

What reason could any of those countries have for not wanting the UK to remain as an EU partner?

I know you've said that there's an exodus of companies fleeing to the continent and re-establishing themselves there to a degree that would apparently boost the economies of these countries to such a degree that forcing the UK out would benefit said countries, - but you haven't provided any details of this.

Here are more details.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/17/br ... inning-it/

Read the whole article for more details but this is just a snippet.

Leading the exodus of jobs and cash are London’s many investment banks and asset management funds, such as those above, which are expected to send 10,000 jobs and billions of dollars in annual tax revenue overseas. Not far behind the financial services sector is the manufacturing sector, as one recent report shows a second consecutive month of staff cuts in factories across Britain. The technology industry, too, is feeling the pain of Brexit, as founders leave a United Kingdom that has lost its grip on foreign talent and capital. Perhaps the most disconcerting of all is the potential damage to the food services industry, whose farms and processing plants—largely of dairy, eggs, fish, and cereals—rely on a 40 percent EU-born workforce.

But Britain’s job losses are not just about Brexit. While the decision to leave the single market, resurrect tariffs with trade partners, and boot foreign workers has certainly left the U.K. a less desirable place to do business, much of the movement out of the U.K. has been a matter of pro-business reform and repositioning by EU competitors. The biggest winners of Brexit—Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris—have proved to be at least as effective at pulling business in as the Brexiteers have been at pushing business out.

As said, if countries like Germany, France and Netherlands gain from Brexit, why vote to extend it for us? I need more details on what those specific countries lose if we leave and considering it's been two years since we voted to leave, have those countries already come to terms with us leaving?
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

Here are more details.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/10/17/br ... inning-it/

Read the whole article for more details but this is just a snippet.

Leading the exodus of jobs and cash are London’s many investment banks and asset management funds, such as those above, which are expected to send 10,000 jobs and billions of dollars in annual tax revenue overseas. Not far behind the financial services sector is the manufacturing sector, as one recent report shows a second consecutive month of staff cuts in factories across Britain. The technology industry, too, is feeling the pain of Brexit, as founders leave a United Kingdom that has lost its grip on foreign talent and capital. Perhaps the most disconcerting of all is the potential damage to the food services industry, whose farms and processing plants—largely of dairy, eggs, fish, and cereals—rely on a 40 percent EU-born workforce.

But Britain’s job losses are not just about Brexit. While the decision to leave the single market, resurrect tariffs with trade partners, and boot foreign workers has certainly left the U.K. a less desirable place to do business, much of the movement out of the U.K. has been a matter of pro-business reform and repositioning by EU competitors. The biggest winners of Brexit—Dublin, Frankfurt, and Paris—have proved to be at least as effective at pulling business in as the Brexiteers have been at pushing business out.

As said, if countries like Germany, France and Netherlands gain from Brexit, why vote to extend it for us? I need more details on what those specific countries lose if we leave and considering it's been two years since we voted to leave, have those countries already come to terms with us leaving?

We find that EU-27 real output would be lower by 0.2 percent in the long run under the FTA scenario than under a no-Brexit scenario, with the hit to Ireland’s income the largest in the EU‑27 (about 2.5 percent compared to the no-Brexit scenario), followed by the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, and Czech Republic.

These estimated impacts relative to no Brexit increase in the event of a default to WTO rules, reaching an output loss of 0.5 percent for the EU‑27, and an output loss of 4 percent for Ireland given the substantial increase in both tariff and non-tariff barriers.

The EU would be significantly worse off after a no deal brexit.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Most of those things mentioned in the article are strategic decisions that have nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

Nissan are not stopping the manufacture of the X Trail in the UK and going to an EU country. They are going back to the far east with it, because there is a declining interest in diesel cars in Europe. Dyson are not closing down UK operations and moving to the EU. They are expanding their manufacturing arm into the far east. The big banks are moving money around to protect themselves from taxes and any other financial chaos that brexit might cause. Merrill Lynch have said that their decision to migrate a specific division from London to Dublin will be done irrespective of whether the UK leaves the EU or not.

There may be some migration of specific business departments to the EU for strategic reasons, but it will be nowhere near the scale that some scaremongerers are touting around, and it will definitely not be to such a degree that it would outweigh the benefits to EU countries of the UK remaining in the EU.

You're being naive.

What’s the strategy for? What’s the major change on the horizon?

Call it scaremongering but the fact that these businesses have ‘strategic’ reasoning’s suggest they don’t want to cause a panic.

But either way, we haven’t got long until we have more clarity. The information is there, what you choose to take in is up to you. Watching two years of this farce of a negotiation and watching our government fall apart in the process should have set the alarm bells ringing when talking of negotiating new deals.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Phil71 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

You're being naive.

Call it scaremongering but the fact that these businesses have ‘strategic’ reasoning’s suggest they don’t want to cause a panic.

But either way, we haven’t got long until we have more clarity. The information is there, what you choose to take in is up to you. Watching two years of this farce of a negotiation and watching our government fall apart in the process should have set the alarm bells ringing when talking of negotiating new deals.

Just because I don't believe the scaremongering doesn't mean I'm being naive.

And perhaps I should point out at this stage that I voted leave in 2016, but since then, having seen how it has unfolded, I have changed my mind. The primary reason for my voting leave is still there (a completely undemocratic institution full of vulgar, condescending leeches) but it turns out that getting away from them will be much more difficult than anyone contemplated. Of course you have high horse remainers who strut about shouting 'I told you so', but if they were to be truthful, even they could not have foreseen the utter calamity that it has turned into.

But none of that means I will see bullshit propaganda bandied around without challenging it. From either side. That is one of the primary reasons why we are in this mess right now.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:51 am

Same source but looking at the UK economy.

https://blogs.imf.org/2018/12/04/the-un ... k-economy/

Brexit may usher in a prolonged period of higher structural unemployment, reversing some of the impressive employment gains of recent years, as workers separate from highly-affected industries but move only gradually to less-affected sectors and regions.

Active labor market policies such as retraining and assistance with job placement will be critical to facilitate the relocation of workers. The key is to support workers, not specific industries or jobs. Making credit more easily available to entrepreneurs would also enable people to respond flexibly to the new economic reality and increase their productivity. Efforts to boost housing supply should continue to help workers move from more negatively-affected regions to areas where jobs are more plentiful.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 am

Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

You're being naive.

Just because I don't believe the scaremongering doesn't mean I'm being naive.

And perhaps I should point out at this stage that I voted leave in 2016, but since then, having seen how it has unfolded, I have changed my mind. The primary reason for my voting leave is still there (a completely undemocratic institution full of vulgar, condescending leeches) but it turns out that getting away from them will be much more difficult than anyone contemplated. Of course you have high horse remainers who strut about shouting 'I told you so', but if they were to be truthful, even they could not have foreseen the utter calamity that it has turned into.

But none of that means I will see bullshit propaganda bandied around without challenging it. From either side. That is one of the primary reasons why we are in this mess right now.

I stand by what I originally said if that's the case. You’ll have to live through an experience it for yourself before you can be told otherwise. Even if people tell you they can see the warning signs you’ll ignore it and drive on despite what’s put in front of you.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:38 am

The problem with all these 'scenarios' pro or anti is that they are based on pure guesswork. When we look at countries in Europe but not in the EU they are all doing fine. When we look around the World at first world countries not in large trading blocs, they are also all doing fine. If there was any actual evidence of a country leaving a trading bloc and it's economy falling apart, or a country leaving a trading bloc and it's economy taking off, then that would be something to support an argument .... but there just isn't.

We voted to give it a go ... so let's do that ... we are a nation built on taking risks why change now?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate