British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Santi » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Luzh 22 wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Never seen a more bipolar nation in my life

2015 - vote a Tory majority based largely on the promise of an eu referendum
2016 - vote out of the EU against the odds
2017 - swing the vote to labour and take away the Tory majority because you didn't like the result of the EU referendum (let's not kid ourselves - if lib dem stood a chance of winning they'd have done so)

Whatever party you support our elections and votes lately have been an utter shambles, because people can't make up their f***ing minds what they want. I wanted to stay in the EU but the outers won so let's get on with it and get it done, screw all this soft flimsy brexit where we get spanked by merkel and her little cronies in Brussels and still bring them flowers every week ffs

Don't think that's the case at all. Think the message was quite clear "we want Brexit, but on the best of terms for the country as possible".

A soft brexit is the best answer (in their heads) for people who voted to remain. It's why you're seeing so much red in London even in key Tory areas.

The other policies and topics would've meant f**k all had Theresa promised the same soft brexit, she'd have gained about 40 seats.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 pm

To be fair, Labour was led by an Arsenal fan. How could London not vote Arsenal? Even Chelsea and Kensington voted Arsenal, London's always been red ;)
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Mesüt wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:The issue here is obvious

We have very Remain Tory MP's like Anna Soubry, Amber Rudd backed remain, Ken Clarke isn't really supportive of BREXIT, and a few others. This is a disaster for May's "negotiating" position. She basically needs Corbyn's help for this, the DUP alone won't be enough.

Nor will it be enough for her flagship policy of grammar schools. At least 20-25 Tory MP's won't support her on this, there's no way she can make up the numbers there either. I really can't imagine this government lasting at all.

Well exactly, everyone was focusing on the Labour Party being 'split' over Corbyn and ignoring how divided the Tories have been over brexit

Wait until legislation is laid down in the commons, and all those who have ambition in the party start rebelling, not to mention those who are directly against the party policies laid down by this government.

Like GA said earlier, it's going to almost impossible for them to reach any sort of consensus on anything. I give it a year before the situation becomes so untenable there'll be another election.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Never seen a more bipolar nation in my life

2015 - vote a Tory majority based largely on the promise of an eu referendum
2016 - vote out of the EU against the odds
2017 - swing the vote to labour and take away the Tory majority because you didn't like the result of the EU referendum (let's not kid ourselves - if lib dem stood a chance of winning they'd have done so)

Whatever party you support our elections and votes lately have been an utter shambles, because people can't make up their f***ing minds what they want. I wanted to stay in the EU but the outers won so let's get on with it and get it done, screw all this soft flimsy brexit where we get spanked by merkel and her little cronies in Brussels and still bring them flowers every week ffs

Don't think that's the case at all. Think the message was quite clear "we want Brexit, but on the best of terms for the country as possible".

A soft brexit is the best answer (in their heads) for people who voted to remain. It's why you're seeing so much red in London even in key Tory areas.

The other policies and topics would've meant f**k all had Theresa promised the same soft brexit, she'd have gained about 40 seats.

Lol, but that's what the whole election was about. She wanted a mandate for a "hard brexit". She wanted to capitalise on what she perceived as a weak opposition, to make gains for her party, so that they could do what they want. And it was all carried out in the most arrogant way possible.

It failed spectacularly. I am astonished she hasn't resigned.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:32 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Gooner_LK6 wrote:And now shes going to run to the DUP to rescue her position. Coward.

Um what the f**k else is she meant to do? Even if she resigned, Boris would do exactly the same as would any party.

Yes she should resign or let there be another election. This one didnt bring stability as she wanted.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cripps » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Forgot about the election. Who won?
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Strong and stable.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 pm

lol
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Its a shambles.

Honestly the single biggest reason (although there were others) I think the Tories blew it last night was down to their attitude toward the NHS i.e not giving a fk about fixing it.

There is where their majority got flushed down the toilet, they would of never taken such a lacks attitude toward the issue if they weren't hiding behind Brexit.

Typical Tory arrogance right there.

Did you see her BBC 1 interview?

BBC: "So what will you do about the NHS?"

May: "its either me .... or Corbyn"

BBC: "Right ...... what about education and the school fees?"

BBC: So how will you handle Brexit?

BBC: .......... and taxes?

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Gotta be the best pic of the election... Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine running for Maidenhead.
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Elmo was on stage with them lot as well

What a time to be alive
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Cripps » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm

That's not darth vader
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Wonder what they'll run on next time though

"Coalition of Chaos" / "In the pocket of the SNP":- DUP.... no point
"Strong and stable government in the national interest":- Jumped into bed with the DUP
IRA IRA:- DUP's unsavoury links
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:12 pm

I agree with your posts DG. The sense I have been getting today is the same. We had a big discussion at work at lunch and the NHS was mentioned more times than Brexit.

It is not just the political parties that have a lot to learn from this but the press also (and I bet they won't). We saw it with Trump where the coverage was full of attacks on him and calling him everything under the sun and trying to tell people what to think of him and eventually it backfired. Whether what is being said is right or wrong people have had enough of being aggressively force fed viewpoints. We saw it here again with Corbyn and the constant attacks and name calling he got, Corbyn is this, that and the other non stop from many facets of the press and in the end people had enough of it and it had the reverse effect. It is like the term 'loony left', in the 2000s that was quite a useful piece of rhetoric but now while it makes the already converted nod, many independants and undecideds will read that kind of rhetoric and it will backfire on the writer. People are sick of that kind of stuff, whichever side is spewing it and the media needs to learn how to report professionally or lose their credibility altogether, Thank God for the internet and the ability for mass direct communication to help neuter that kind of s***.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:42 pm

gerry adams wouldve sorted this all out
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate