British Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: British Politics

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:That's not the whole story though. In many E.U countries, they only pay VAT for over the counter sales, not in every step of the supply line like the UK. Britain also has many "special taxes" for certain products. For instance, fags get 20% VAT charge, and then another 18% special tax on top.

At one time, the UK put a special tax on tampons and sanitary towels too... Not sure if that's still a thing or not.

Not going to argue ... go and look at the VAT tax take by country and you will see the total picture ... picking out 'fags' which make the UK government £9.7 billion in excise duty plus £2.6 billion in VAT is telling us what exactly? we spend five times that on smoking related diseases, from a financial viewpoint we should be taking smoking off the table completely, are you advocating fags should be cheaper?

No denying that the UK have the most expensive cigarettes in the EU ... but isn't that a good thing?

As for the "Tampon Tax" the UK has tried to get rid off it even going to the European Court, it's 100% the fault of the EU, and will remain even after Brexit until 2022, here's a clip from the media:

British women will be forced by Brussels to pay the hated tampon tax for at least another three years, despite Brexit and the EU finally moving to change rules that stopped the UK's attempt to remove the 5 per cent VAT rate on sanitary products.

The European Commission today launched long-overdue reforms to EU law that would let Britain put a 0 per cent rate on tampons but they will not come into force until January 2022 at the earliest. Current EU VAT rules ban a 0 per cent rate on products in its member countries unless the rate existed before the Brussels law.

Yep, my whole post was about wanting cheaper fags.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am

Corbyn: “...the government are in disarray...they don’t know how to organise Brexit...I know how to do it...give me the chance and I’ll sort it out...”

May: “OK...come along to No. 10...I’m interested in everyone’s opinion...and we can all discuss the best way forward.”

Corbyn: “Err...what?...err no!...err...(shit!)...err...yes!...that’s it!...I won’t come unless you remove the best bargaining position we have with the EU!.. ha ha!...yes!...brilliant! and...and...IT’S A STUNT..THAT’S IT! A STUNT..”
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Phil71 wrote:Corbyn: “...the government are in disarray...they don’t know how to organise Brexit...I know how to do it...give me the chance and I’ll sort it out...”

May: “OK...come along to No. 10...I’m interested in everyone’s opinion...and we can all discuss the best way forward.”

Corbyn: “Err...what?...err no!...err...(shit!)...err...yes!...that’s it!...I won’t come unless you remove the best bargaining position we have with the EU!.. ha ha!...yes!...brilliant! and...and...IT’S A STUNT..THAT’S IT! A STUNT..”

It's almost like there are no good solutions, and you should have voted to remain :shock:
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Rockape » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm

There are no good solutions that will appeal to all sides of the House......the process is fcuked!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Corbyn getting shit for not coming up with much accept "no deal is a terrible idea"

(Which it is)

Meanwhile Brexiteers have similarly come up with little or nothing.

They've brought no booze to their own party and are moaning because neither did anyone else
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:29 pm

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Corbyn: “...the government are in disarray...they don’t know how to organise Brexit...I know how to do it...give me the chance and I’ll sort it out...”

It's almost like there are no good solutions, and you should have voted to remain :shock:

I'm sorry but no, there was a vote and there is an answer, it's just an answer the MP's don't like, Leave.

The "But we can't have no deal" argument is moot because they could extend till 2020 and go over a Canada Style Free trade deal.

Now I'm not saying that's necessarily what I want, I'm just trying to cut through the BS.

The BS is that no consensus can be found for some miracle deal, as per .................

The SNP want Customs Union and Single Market, and Freedom of movement

Conservatives want either Free trade deal / WTO and all the Leave Rights like migration etc or this fudged non-deal but without a backstop (which won't happen).

Labour want a Customs union and Single Market

Lib Dems ........ well there's only 4 of them so who cares what they want

So as you can see there can be no agreement, Cons won't allow Freedom of movement and therefore can't accept a Customs union or single market, there is the real impasse and neither side will budge.

The whole fallacy of Theresa May was not to pick a side, she should of been a Leave MP who wanted No Deal and then negotiated from that position for a Free trade deal........... May has deliberately not allowed this sidelining Leave altogether.

............. I will point out though that until Leave has a No Deal / Free Trade agreement solution for the Irish border then its all in vain anyway, lets throw in Gibraltar as well for good measure.

So Leave would be the answer but that answer then hinges on a solution for the above and that hasn't been disclosed / or said how so .............................

Only answer following that is ...........

Norway - Out but accept all EU rules (I mean really ........ what's the point in that??)

Or Remain.

The only possible leeway or agreement I could ever see happening would be Norway without Freedom of movement but that leaves that decision entirely up to the EU, breaking one of their mantra's of "No Single Market access without Freedom of Movement" now Britain is vital for them, but so is enforcing Freedom of movement.

Messing up Freedom of movement for members could lead to the dissolution of the EU, make no mistake, countries bombarded with migrants because other countries are opting out would spell the end for the EU.

So yeah full circle .............. either an unprecedented exception from the EU or Remain.

The reason we haven't got to this conclusion is because Treason May won't allow Leave to have a crack at it, if they did we'd be at this stage already ........... unless Leave are willing to ditch the Good Friday agreement.

Now UFGN before you say "Well yeah so as I said back to Remain" we had a vote, the result was for Leave, unless we exhaust due process first then you can't just jump the process and reverse a democratic decision, if more Remainer's or Lefties understood or respected democracy more then there wouldn't be such a furious backlash from opposing voters.

May is being the c*nt by not allowing us that process, her "deal" isn't a deal, its a withdrawal ............ which the strings attached will become apparent after when we're in limbo and in a position of weakness, and she still won't drop the sh*tty deal, nutter quite frankly.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm

There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza dear Liza

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:33 pm

Just cancel brexit already, it's boring everyone to death.

I think if you did a revote you'd have about 4 people vote leave, DG and his cats.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Santi wrote:Just cancel brexit already, it's boring everyone to death.

I think if you did a revote you'd have about 4 people vote leave, DG and his cats.

He might change his vote this time.

Don’t tell the Liberal Democrat fanboy that though. He’ll probably get on his condescending high horse about it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:27 pm

If you watched QT last, you wouldn't be thinking that Santi. I think the Leavers are more entrenched than ever and despite Thursdays opinion polls suggesting its current 54/46 in favour of remain, they got it wrong last time by three points the day before. Imagine having to wait another 6 months for a re-vote and going through the same thing again!

May's deal is the best she could get DG.......she was playing poker against 26 others and came up short. Hardly a c..t for that, just didn't get what she and the rest all wanted. No one else came forward, the oppo had no ideas ....its all too easy to apportion blame, but its just a perfect storm of shit!
Last edited by Rockape on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Phil71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm

I don’t blame May at all.

I think she has acted with complete integrity, taking the advice of the subject matter experts around her, and trying to do the very best for her country.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Luzh 22 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Phil71 wrote:I don’t blame May at all.

I think she has acted with complete integrity, taking the advice of the subject matter experts around her, and trying to do the very best for her country.

Bollocks. She's doing now, what she should have done right at the beginning of her role as PM. Seeking cross party support for a package she could take to Brussels.

Instead, she thought she and her cronies could do it all, f**k the rest. Instead, just like all the other things she thought could/would happen, it's gone in completely the opposite direction.

I still think she's doing a better job of it than Corbyn could.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Santi wrote:Just cancel brexit already, it's boring everyone to death.

I didn't vote for Leave and its not necessarily what I want either so ............ you've failed on multiple fronts, which is quite difficult to be wrong more than once in just one and a bit of a sentence.

........... I also only have one cat and for the record, she didn't vote either.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm

loooooool it's just a joke buddy, calm down.

you hungover again?
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate