David Cameron has resigned!

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: David Cameron has resigned!

Postby Callum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:38 am

I've never been a fan of Cameron and would never have voted for his party but for all his faults he was largely a decent and statesmanlike leader. I'd rather him than whoever his predecessor will be anyway.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:56 am

Callum wrote:I've never been a fan of Cameron and would never have voted for his party but for all his faults he was largely a decent and statesmanlike leader. I'd rather him than whoever his predecessor will be anyway.

Arch Clown Borris Johnson, Supreme Hater Of Civil Rights Theresa May, or Sleazy Overlord George Osborne? Take your pick.

Against those choices I hear myself uttering the unimaginably despicable sentence,

"I hope the next prime minister is Michael Gove"

I need to go bathe in bleach now. Brb
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Callum » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:19 am

UFGN wrote:
Callum wrote:I've never been a fan of Cameron and would never have voted for his party but for all his faults he was largely a decent and statesmanlike leader. I'd rather him than whoever his predecessor will be anyway.

Arch Clown Borris Johnson, Supreme Hater Of Civil Rights Theresa May, or Sleazy Overlord George Osborne? Take your pick.

Against those choices I hear myself uttering the unimaginably despicable sentence,

No chance it'll be Osbourne, he's too closely linked to Cameron. He'll either resign altogether and go back to backbench politics or he'll be given a lesser role in a prospective cabinet for the new leader if he plays nicely.

It'll be Boris or May. Gove doesn't have the personality or popularity that Boris has.

I'm also confident it'll be a Tory majority if Johnson is in charge and a snap election is called by the end of 2016.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:25 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I actually think he's taken the cowards way out, we voted him in, he should of served his term.

How so? He's supposed to successfully steer the country down a path he categorically disagrees with? I think it's brave of him to admit defeat, admit he is no longer the right man to lead this country (latest vote shows population disagrees with PM) and provide the opportunity for someone else to take over and follow through on their 'promises' made during the leave campaign.

Unfortunately for us, it's going to be the English Donald Trump riding to no.10 every morning on a 500 year old bike sponsored by Santander.

:goal1:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:38 am

Mesüt wrote:Unfortunately for us, it's going to be the English Donald Trump riding to no.10 every morning on a 500 year old bike sponsored by Santander.

ffs. :rofll:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:14 am

UFGN wrote:

Anyone but Gove please! Ask any teacher why...
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:17 am

Callum wrote:
UFGN wrote:

No chance it'll be Osbourne, he's too closely linked to Cameron. He'll either resign altogether and go back to backbench politics or he'll be given a lesser role in a prospective cabinet for the new leader if he plays nicely.

It'll be Boris or May. Gove doesn't have the personality or popularity that Boris has.

I'm also confident it'll be a Tory majority if Johnson is in charge and a snap election is called by the end of 2016.

He can't call a snap election any more due to the Fixed Term Parliament act. The only ways would be for the Tories to rely on Labour help to get a two-thirds majority for a new general election or the government to vote in the commons that it has no confidence in itself, which would be very embarrassing plus that route carries the risk of a 14 day period for a new government to be formed before the Queen would dissolve parliament. Which would lead to the scary potential of a labour/snp coalition with maybe Comrade Corbyn as PM. What a ghastly thought.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 am

Now that I think about it, was there no way he could have called the referendum and say that leave would need a 2/3 majority? Would have no doubt in the result and if by some miracle leave still won then there could be no complaints because of the majority. Meanwhile it seems as if the older generation has f***ked over the younger generation by 2%...
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 am

Pudpop wrote:Now that I think about it, was there no way he could have called the referendum and say that leave would need a 2/3 majority? Would have no doubt in the result and if by some miracle leave still won then there could be no complaints because of the majority. Meanwhile it seems as if the older generation has f***ked over the younger generation by 2%...

And they've f***ked themselves over in the immediate term. Anyone cashing in their pension at the moment is significantly worse off.

FTSE 100 closed 3% down, however FTSE 250 (has a larger amount of UK companies, so is usually used as a barometer to track the UK economy more) closed by 7%.

Loads of pensions are linked to the stock market via investment funds, so a decent portion of these older people will be stitching themselves up.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:48 am

Mesüt wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I actually think he's taken the cowards way out, we voted him in, he should of served his term.

How so? He's supposed to successfully steer the country down a path he categorically disagrees with? I think it's brave of him to admit defeat, admit he is no longer the right man to lead this country (latest vote shows population disagrees with PM) and provide the opportunity for someone else to take over and follow through on their 'promises' made during the leave campaign.

Unfortunately for us, it's going to be the English Donald Trump riding to no.10 every morning on a 500 year old bike sponsored by Santander.

Bang on. Wanting a man who was completely opposed to your campaign, to then lead the opposition campaign is ridiculous to say the least.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Rastayouth » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:37 am

Zedie wrote:
Pudpop wrote:Now that I think about it, was there no way he could have called the referendum and say that leave would need a 2/3 majority? Would have no doubt in the result and if by some miracle leave still won then there could be no complaints because of the majority. Meanwhile it seems as if the older generation has f***ked over the younger generation by 2%...

And they've f***ked themselves over in the immediate term. Anyone cashing in their pension at the moment is significantly worse off.

FTSE 100 closed 3% down, however FTSE 250 (has a larger amount of UK companies, so is usually used as a barometer to track the UK economy more) closed by 7%.

Loads of pensions are linked to the stock market via investment funds, so a decent portion of these older people will be stitching themselves up.

Sounds silly but they'll likely have increased their pension. As people near retirement or are retired, their assets tend to be allocated towards fixed income products. They've rallied out of sight.

The value of us young people's ones will have depreciated but I don't mind as all that is doing is increasing expected return if the asset allocator goes shopping and the world has some form of growth over the next 40 years.
Rastayouth
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Zedie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:06 am

Rastayouth wrote:
Zedie wrote:

Sounds silly but they'll likely have increased their pension. As people near retirement or are retired, their assets tend to be allocated towards fixed income products. They've rallied out of sight.

The value of us young people's ones will have depreciated but I don't mind as all that is doing is increasing expected return if the asset allocator goes shopping and the world has some form of growth over the next 40 years.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/466d8a50-39eb ... z4CaTOUBKQ

Was reading this article earlier that does a decent job of summarising. Im miles away from pensionable age and by the time I am, the landscape will be completely different. Didn't know that point about fixed income products, good to hear it won't be as bad for people heading into retirement right now. Lets hope those gains hold.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 am

Surely it's time for Corbyn to go too, what a f***ing awful campaign he's been involved in. All Labour areas voted to leave.
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:49 am

I agree he has to go. Hes not fit to lead the opposition let alone a government.

Step forward, Hillary Benn or Andy Burnham.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Zedie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Agreed. He came across as a pensioner that lost his career at the pizza Hut buffet and was looking for assistance everytime I've seen him.

The silence from him was deafening. Really disappointed how he panned out.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate