The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:07 pm

I wonder how long he contemplated that decision? And if it haunted him at all afterwards?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:21 pm

StLGooner wrote:I wonder how long he contemplated that decision? And if it haunted him at all afterwards?

He said in later years that he regretted that it had come to it, but still felt that all things considered it was justified. The primary reasons being the pig-headedness of the Japanese military leaders, and advice he had been given that continuing a land war would cost many more lives - both American and Japanese- than dropping the bombs.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:23 pm

StLGooner wrote:I wonder how long he contemplated that decision? And if it haunted him at all afterwards?

Think about it. Japan gets invaded and later occupied by us and the USSR. The Cold War still occurs and the Soviets still develop nuclear weapons of their own. Without the deterrent from seeing them already used, the Cold War becomes a hot WWIII with nukes since there's no MAD. I don't think humanity survives that.

So I think, ultimately, he'd have been at peace with giving the green light. It was the best option available and may have ultimately saved humanity (or at least delayed our extinction date).
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Yea I think ultimately it was the right decision. I just couldn't imagine being the one to have to make it. I'd be a shit president. I'm so indecisive, and 2nd guess everything I do.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Different times but under today's rules it would be the greatest war crime ever - deliberate targeting of civilians with WMD's - the fact is the US could have bombed an island or two first to see if the Japanese would surrender ... remember the US was not under attack, they were not losing troops they were attacking, stopping that attack for a week, month, year would have made no difference. The US had the bomb the Japaneses weren't even developing one, there was no real risk by waiting.

As I said different times, but if you believe killing a million civilians is justified than I guess Stalin, Mao, PolPot all have the same a defence as well.

Killing civilians is OK if it ends the fighting? are we sure that's ever justifiable ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Your giving these guys in politics far ....... far too much credit.

I've heard the things they say on the phone when they think people aren't listening.

JFK is one of the only Presidents I feel had a conscience ........... hence why they blew his head off.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 pm

UFGN wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Bombing and killing civilians was indeed the norm in WWII.

What is the point of apologizing for events that nobody alive was responsible for? History is to learned from not revised nor viewed through today’s lenses. All it is feel good bs IMO. The problem beyond the futility is that it is more about deciding than healing.

Nice dodge

War was not the norm in society

War and conflict has always been the norm in human existence. Been there, done that in the desert. It sucks but it is reality, and the reality of war is that civilians always get hurt worse than anyone else.

I don't dodge BTW.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:32 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Phil71 wrote:The bombs were dropped to end the world war.

It worked.

So can we then make the argument that we actually saved lives overall? :think:

Yes, and that's why the bombs are justifiable. Else, there would've been an invasion of Japan where it's likely millions of lives would've been lost instead. Plus, it ended the war quicker. And now Japan is a close ally of ours. Win-win-win in my book.

Wow.

If they were actually fighting then it would of been more military personel vs military personel, like its supposed to be.

But instead they rubbed out two towns / cities of civilians ............ yeah great. :rolleyes:

People who had fk all to do with the war, as I said earlier they could of had the same effect if they bombed two military outposts or docks etc.

The devastation would of been apparent to the Japanese and they would of quit same way anyway.

Basically America was fuming about Pearl Harbour and went above and beyond to make a point ........... completely an illegal response, however since when does the American Gov't give a fk about International law?

Also consider this, your like "win, win" .............. put your family up for a bombing sacrifice next time and see if you feel the same way.
Last edited by DiamondGooner on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:39 pm

Define a soldier when you are fighting a war with conscripts?

These weren't solders in the modern sense, they were office workers, railwaymen, window cleaners. Their lives are of equal value to the people who sadly died

Its also wrong to say that there was no urgency. Japan was busy starving and beating thousands of Westerners to death in internment camps
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 pm

UFGN wrote:Define a soldier when you are fighting a war with conscripts?

These weren't solders in the modern sense, they were office workers, railwaymen, window cleaners. Their lives are of equal value to the people who sadly died

Its also wrong to say that there was no urgency. Japan was busy starving and beating thousands of Westerners to death in internment camps

M.I.L.T.A.R.Y Target!!

America could of Nuked an Army base or Marine dock, Airfield or even a bloody main Gov't building if they wanted to make it more legal or relevant bombing a purely civilian City was just pure spite.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

M.I.L.T.A.R.Y Target!!

America could of Nuked an Army base or Marine dock, Airfield or even a bloody main Gov't building if they wanted to make it more legal or relevant bombing a purely civilian City was just pure spite.

Its very hard to justify, I agree. But on balance I agree with the first bomb but not the second

Fast toward a few years. The H Bomb hasn't been dropped and the war ended some other grisly way

People dont have a built in fear of Nukes because nobody has seen or heard the horror of a city full of people turned to ash

And now the Soviets have them, the Americans have built plenty more, Britain has them...... lets go!!!

Or..... we can be grateful it wasn't us, and make sure those people who died are honoured by efforts to maintain peace
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:54 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:How can you apologise for dropping not one but two Nuclear bombs ffs??

Its not like losing someones set of keys.

I'd rather America said nothing, rather than give a fake apology they don't mean just to look good to Liberal Left voters.

Also let me point out America could of targeted more military targets rather than two Japanese towns similar to the Japanese targeting Pearl Harbour, not Los Angeles .......... but they didn't.

As we speak America are in Syria leaving enough troops to guard the Oil well's they're currently ripping off the country, and good on old Trump he flat out admitted it.

America's Gov't is as evil and ruthless as any other when it comes to taking what they want, they just have a better marketing team than lets say Russia.

Fk the apology, its done, no amount of voter flag waiving is going to undo it and no one is going to bring America to heel on it either so what's the point?

Can I ask how old you are? Not a hostile question, I am seriously interested in why certain generations view historic events so differently. I grew up in a home which had the leaded windows bowed in from German bombs. There were still ruble filled vacant properties all across South London where homes once stood. This was in the sixties, and the war was just 40 years past.

As for war, having fought in two I can assure you that it is far better for civilians and combatants alike (as a whole obviously) when the decision to take military action is taken to just go in and win. That is what nuking Japan was about. Half assed military operations like Viet Nam and the current conflicts in the desert are far worse in the end. Nobody is flag waving.

BTW, the US and allies including Arab nations are securing the few oil wells in Syria because ISIS was funding themselves through the proceeds. Trump spouts off about keeping the money to pay for cost of defending the rest of the world but that is all talk. The US spends trillions of dollars rebuilding nations of leaders that they defeat. FFS, if not for the US we would be speaking German. Yup I used the cliche...but it was true then and it is true now. :naughty:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Can I ask how old you are? Not a hostile question, I am seriously interested in why certain generations view historic events so differently. I grew up in a home which had the leaded windows bowed in from German bombs. There were still ruble filled vacant properties all across South London where homes once stood. This was in the sixties, and the war was just 40 years past.

As for war, having fought in two I can assure you that it is far better for civilians and combatants alike (as a whole obviously) when the decision to take military action is taken to just go in and win. That is what nuking Japan was about. Half assed military operations like Viet Nam and the current conflicts in the desert are far worse in the end. Nobody is flag waving.

BTW, the US and allies including Arab nations are securing the few oil wells in Syria because ISIS was funding themselves through the proceeds. Trump spouts off about keeping the money to pay for cost of defending the rest of the world but that is all talk. The US spends trillions of dollars rebuilding nations of leaders that they defeat. FFS, if not for the US we would be speaking German. Yup I used the cliche...but it was true then and it is true now. :naughty:

39 and as hard nosed as they come.

I just know that the West re-writes history from their perch, if Russia nuked London or Newyork we'd never forgive them for as long as humans live and breath and you know it.

Vietnam was a shocker, but it was armed personel mainly fighting each other, the ones who felt hard done by mainly were the Americans because they actually had to fight a war like everyone else does.

............. the result is the public get a distaste for war, not what they do now where they sit at home and the 10 o'clock News looks like an exciting scene from Top Gun and all you see are fancy jets and at worst a plume of smoke with no thought to who's under that plume.

Just imagine for one moment Russia or China flew Jets into England and bombed Manchester, we'd be going fkin mental and besides ourself ............. for people in Syria that's daily life.

Basically what I'm saying is, its all well and good, even "Win, win" when its not happening to you, a lot of people cant comprehend the difference because they've never had to experience it.

We did in the 1940's and haven't shut up about it since.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Not just westerners, but Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, Pacific Islanders...

Yes you describe the men and women as conscripts, but most willingly and enthusiastically rose up to defend Britain. I really sometimes wonder if younger modern Brits would respond in the same way? I suspect yes they would if faced with the sort of threats the Germans and Japanese posed to the existence of so many nations and peoples.

The weird thing to me is how, and rightly so obviously, negatively Nazis, fascists and Imperialists are viewed now but the real Nazis, fascists and imperialists who threatened the whole world are being defended as victims.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:17 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

Not just westerners, but Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, Pacific Islanders...

Yes you describe the men and women as conscripts, but most willingly and enthusiastically rose up to defend Britain. I really sometimes wonder if younger modern Brits would respond in the same way? I suspect yes they would if faced with the sort of threats the Germans and Japanese posed to the existence of so many nations and peoples.

The weird thing to me is how, and rightly so obviously, negatively Nazis, fascists and Imperialists are viewed now but the real Nazis, fascists and imperialists who threatened the whole world are being defended as victims.

You mean the Japanese people? Why are they being defended?

Youre taking offence at people saying it was dreadful that they burned to death?

Stop playing dumb. Just because most people accept the bomb was just about justified doesn't mean we cant see the tragedy of those deaths

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate