The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Re: The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Postby LMAO » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:32 am

EliteKiller wrote:
LMAO wrote:But not when it occurred ;) can't ex post facto

and that's the great escape ... things that occurred in history under different circumstances are what they are ... good, bad, indifferent you can't change them or blame their descendants ... otherwise you have the crazy situation where we'd be suing for historic events ... so cue the Democrats wanting to pay slave reparations (even though slavery ended 100 years ago) ... no doubt the Zulu's will be suing the Brits soon even though that war was over 100 years ago - oh wait they already are ..... guess those Japanese are in with a shout after all .... how about Dresden, or Baghdad do you think those residents have a claim?

as you so rightly say ex post facto law utter madness ...

Nope, at least not in modern times. Idk what the statute of limitations should be for reparations, but I do know it shouldn't extend generations. And this is coming from someone who has slave ancestors on one side and family that was murdered in the Holocaust on the other.

In the same vein as ex post facto, you can't punish a son for the sins of his father (well, you can in North Korea, but you know what I mean).
LMAO
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:45 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Phil71 wrote:I knew a man many years ago who had been in a Japanese pow camp. He told me of some of the horrors he had witnessed.

The one that sticks in my mind was about an Australian prisoner who had escaped and been recaptured. The camp commandant ordered that he be strung up in the yard by his hands. He left him hanging there for two days before finally calling the whole camp out to watch the spectacle. One of the particularly cruel guards slit the man’s belly open, and tugged out a piece of his gut, before enticing one of the stray dogs that hung around the camp to grab it. The camp watched as the dog pulled the man’s entrails out all over the yard.

So dropping Nuclear Weapons on innocent women and children (and stray dogs) was a reasonable response?

There have been untold stabbings in London this year ... should we use tactical nukes on Ealing?

I'm taking the piss of course, but even if you accept that Hiroshima was justified and I don't, there is no excuse at all for the second 'test' on Nagasaki ... that's a war crime under any modern definition ... it's just lucky for the US that the winners write our history ...

Genghis Khan must have been a great family man, at least 16m of us are direct descendants of his today, that whole "Warlord mass rapist tag" that's just bad press coverage ...

When it's put into a context where 50,000,000 people have already died in the six or eight years of war leading up to it, and thousands more are dying during every week that goes by where Japan don't surrender, it's small potatoes.

And as I said earlier, it sent the sabre-rattling Russians scuttling back to Moscow.
Phil71
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Previous

Return to The Big Debate