The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Re: The bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Postby EliteKiller » Sun May 29, 2016 1:44 am

The UN Definition of War Crimes includes:

making the civilian population or individual civilians, not taking a direct part in hostilities, the object of attack;
• launching an attack in the knowledge that such attack will cause incidental loss of civilian life, injury to civilians or damage to civilian objects which would be clearly excessive in relation to the concrete and direct military advantage anticipated;
• making non-defended localities and demilitarized zones the object of attack;

Hard to argue that the dropping of a Nuclear Weapon on a civilian target does not breach all three of these 'rules' .... yes it was a different time, yes the Japanese had done terrible things, however if you accept that the killing of women and children to theoretically prevent the loss of soldier's lives is an acceptable act? where do you draw the line? Is rape OK if it will stop the next village from fighting? is beheading of children OK to stop parents fighting? is bombing civilian targets ever acceptable?

Only one Country has ever used Nuclear Weapons and they did so at very the first opportunity they got .... did their action save soldiers lives, quite probably. Does that make this act of mass murder justifiable? probably not ....

So should the USA apologise for murdering 10's of 1000's of civilians .... well why not? They can couch the apology to say "what we did we deemed necessary"and yet still say "we're terribly sorry for the death and suffering we caused" .... no loss of face to anyone .... it's just a shame political arrogance prevents it ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Sun May 29, 2016 2:08 am

^^ There is one aspect you must bare in mind and that is that WWII was fought mainly by conscipts, including in Japan. Therefore the line between a soldier and a civilian was damn near non-existent.
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014

Postby VCC » Sun May 29, 2016 2:27 am

WW2 does not exist in Japanese history what are we discussing
VCC
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Tue May 31, 2016 1:08 pm

I think people just need to understand it's War, and nothing good happens at war. The trick is to learn from it and try not to repeat history. I can see apologizing for mistakes, but this was war. As horrible as it was, we meant to do it. Maybe it was needed, maybe it wasn't, but it worked!

I have seen various US soldiers and politicians apologize to some of the remaining victims, but I don't think we've ever had a ceremonial type of apology.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue May 31, 2016 2:08 pm

Couple of examples of the responses I got on facebook about this subject -

'Your onto a loser defending the use of a nuclear weapon and its deployment in a city full of innocent people.'

'Err no. Do you research - start with the oil embargo, then go back to Commodore Perry.
The US forced Japan to open its borders - sold them the idea and weapons for empire building - then starved the Japanese people when the US got worried that Japan was growing too quickly.
If you think Japan just bombed Pearl Harbour as a first act of aggression, you're sadly mistaken.'

'Japan did some pretty awful things - before and during the war. But the claim the dropping the atomic bombs _saved_ lives is reaching...
Also, claiming 300,000 deaths at Nanking isn't likely to be accurate - other sources quote not more than 15% of that. You'll see the same disparity between the quoted civilian casualties America inflicted on Japan. Unsurprisingly, the victims tally is always much higher than the perpetrators reckoning.'
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Jedi » Tue May 31, 2016 2:33 pm

UFGN wrote:^^ There is one aspect you must bare in mind and that is that WWII was fought mainly by conscipts, including in Japan. Therefore the line between a soldier and a civilian was damn near non-existent.

Yes, it's especially hard to tell if the women and children were civillians... Very bad argument, not even an argument, it's an excuse.
Jedi
Poster Of The Month
Poster Of The Month

Postby VCC » Tue May 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Wrong or right first what has happened needs to be accepted as history, and for Japan part the do not acknowledge the atrocities performed by them selves or even the war happened.I think that would be a good starting point.
VCC
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Well this is all very cosy.

Look America is no better than any other tyrant you can think of, they systematically target people in the Middle East like the Crusades are still on or something.

They are the only country in History to have dropped not one but two Atomic bombs on civilians, they have enslaved and tortured black people and this was acceptable under law of Government so it counts as a National act of aggression, they have wiped out the indigenous population of American Indians etc etc etc.

So that's correcting the "The Japanese are evil" vs the heroic Americans line.

That being said, I'd say this, fk em, they stared a fight and they got one, what the hell is there to complain about?

People really need to man up in today's society, lefty pandering has mean't politicians trying to score brownie points from social opinion (i.e those who shout the loudest) has mean't we're now all subject to this type of crap on a daily barrage basis.

I'm not anti left but I am anti extremist left, same way I'm against extremist Right, both are as tyrannical as each other, Donald Trump is karma's answer to all this PC brigade nonsense.

Life has a way of balancing itself out.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Its a bit like when Argentina started a fight with Britain then everyone was "oh, no way, so sad" when the General Belgrano got f***ked up and loads of them died

What the f**k did they think would happen? They started a naval battle with the United (second biggest navy in the world at the time) Kingdom

f**k off!
Oh he is awful..... but I like him!
UFGN
Member of the Year 2014
Member of the Year 2014

Previous

Return to The Big Debate