Air strikes on Syria

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Air strikes on Syria

Postby Trina » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 pm

I thought this needed a thread of it's own rather than going down the religion route.

It's been a day dominated by David Cameron's plans for air strikes on Syria, targeting the extremists of so-called Islamic State. The PM set out his case in the morning, arguing the intervention was needed in order to keep people in the UK safe. A mammoth Commons debate followed, with Mr Cameron fielding questions from 103 MPs. Scroll to the bottom of today's coverage to read how the debate unfolded.

Later, a row erupted in Labour ranks as party leader Jeremy Corbyn wrote to MPs setting out his opposition to air strikes. Some in his shadow cabinet reacted angrily, saying they had not been consulted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-34930632

Prime Minister David Cameron has presented his case to the Commons for the UK to bomb Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria. He hopes to win MPs' support in a parliamentary vote next week.

Agree or disagree?

I still don't understand why troops can not go on foot and do something. I read earlier Cameron said its a no for that, but didn't explain why.
Also, bombing Syria, surely there will be innocent people?
And finally, that would mean a massive attack on us wouldn't it? They may get rid of some of the IS in Syria, but they are obviously not just in Syria.

As I've said before, Im not really clued up on things like this. But I like reading peoples views on it.

A decision on this could be made next week.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Air strikes on Syria

Postby Callum » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:47 pm

The whole situation is completely f***ked so I don't really know what we should be doing, but a bombing campaign with no real strategy or end-game that will leave plenty more innocent Syrian people dead seems foolhardy to say the least. It also makes a terrorist attack in Britain seem far more likely than it already is.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gunpowder » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:21 am

Trina wrote:I thought this needed a thread of it's own rather than going down the religion route.

It's been a day dominated by David Cameron's plans for air strikes on Syria, targeting the extremists of so-called Islamic State. The PM set out his case in the morning, arguing the intervention was needed in order to keep people in the UK safe. A mammoth Commons debate followed, with Mr Cameron fielding questions from 103 MPs. Scroll to the bottom of today's coverage to read how the debate unfolded.

Later, a row erupted in Labour ranks as party leader Jeremy Corbyn wrote to MPs setting out his opposition to air strikes. Some in his shadow cabinet reacted angrily, saying they had not been consulted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-34930632

Prime Minister David Cameron has presented his case to the Commons for the UK to bomb Islamic State (IS) militants in Syria. He hopes to win MPs' support in a parliamentary vote next week.

Agree or disagree?

I still don't understand why troops can not go on foot and do something. I read earlier Cameron said its a no for that, but didn't explain why.
Also, bombing Syria, surely there will be innocent people?
And finally, that would mean a massive attack on us wouldn't it? They may get rid of some of the IS in Syria, but they are obviously not just in Syria.

As I've said before, Im not really clued up on things like this. But I like reading peoples views on it.

A decision on this could be made next week.

Didn't he try to get a permission for military action (don't know what you guys call it) couple of years ago and failed?
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 am

I don't see how bouncing rubble with £1/2 Million bombs is going to make me any safer.

Great way for the Arms industry to make a few quid though.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Cripps » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:33 am

Just get world war three over and done with.

As an Arsenal fan, I'm looking forward to the fourth.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:36 am

UFGN wrote:I don't see how bouncing rubble with £1/2 Million bombs is going to make me any safer.

Great way for the Arms industry to make a few quid though.

Which is exactly why there's going to be more levels of action in the coming months
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Banquo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:58 am

This just seems to be a bit rushed and Cameron was evasive yesterday in the Commons. The whole thing smacks of Knee-Jerk reaction and reminds me of Blair's determination to be seen doing something to appease his friends. We're still waiting for The Chilcot Report even now.
Banquo
Liam Brady

Postby Dubs4Sam » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:35 am

Boys with their Big Toys - The only way you will put a dent in ISIS is by delicate brain surgery - small insurgence operations heavly backed up with good intel.

Instead of delicate brain surgery they want to just try to cut everything open in one big bang.

I change my signature away from Wenger and to the Worlds Leading Powers.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:02 am

Cripps wrote:Just get world war three over and done with.

As an Arsenal fan, I'm looking forward to the fourth.

We are amidst World War 3. Except this time, it won't be apparent. It's all softcore war.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Should just stay the f out of it and protect ourselves inside our own borders. Why should we waste our money and resources to just destroy their land in such crude fashion? Obviously they (big boy DC and Obama) want a 'quick win' rather than what happened last time but we don't even need to be involved, let those who were attacked directly fight back if they want.

Another group will be born out of this mess and the tragedy will never end.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:04 pm

Mesüt wrote:Should just stay the f out of it and protect ourselves inside our own borders. Why should we waste our money and resources to just destroy their land in such crude fashion? Obviously they (big boy DC and Obama) want a 'quick win' rather than what happened last time but we don't even need to be involved, let those who were attacked directly fight back if they want.

Lots of oil in Syria man :thumbsup: bet they can't wait to share the spoils :sneaky:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Nuggets » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

Mesüt wrote:Should just stay the f out of it and protect ourselves inside our own borders. Why should we waste our money and resources to just destroy their land in such crude fashion? Obviously they (big boy DC and Obama) want a 'quick win' rather than what happened last time but we don't even need to be involved, let those who were attacked directly fight back if they want.

The trouble is they are coming to the UK in droves pretending to be fleeing violence when the bastards will be bringing it. We will not be able to cope with the influx of immigrants so get it level it then they can go back.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:18 am

The reason people can't make any sense of this is because people in general don't know what the end game is or why it started.

This is the business of people in power so unless you understand what they want all of this is just needless chatter.

Example, ask yourself this question, why in the fk did we care who was in charge of Syria? Al-Assad was placid compared to Saddam Hussein, never started a war with anyone.
When you know the answer to that then the rest of it falls into place.

All of this trouble / knock on effect has been caused because our Gov don't give a sh*t if we die, get blown up or have thousands of war torn immigrants here because of Britain's actions.

We're causing all of this and its our Gov who are responsible (obviously partnered with America).
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:38 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34950778

The shadow Chancellor says he thinks decisions regarding going to war should be "free votes"

This means that MPs could vote according to their personal choice instead of along party lines.

He is right imo but is he sincere? What I mean is, it raises a bigger question for me..... do MPs make decisions which genuinely reflect the wishes of their constituents? Surely as MPs, that should be their number one concern?

If not, where does democracy stand in all this?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Callum » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:The reason people can't make any sense of this is because people in general don't know what the end game is or why it started.

This is the business of people in power so unless you understand what they want all of this is just needless chatter.

Example, ask yourself this question, why in the fk did we care who was in charge of Syria? Al-Assad was placid compared to Saddam Hussein, never started a war with anyone.
When you know the answer to that then the rest of it falls into place.

All of this trouble / knock on effect has been caused because our Gov don't give a sh*t if we die, get blown up or have thousands of war torn immigrants here because of Britain's actions.

We're causing all of this and its our Gov who are responsible (obviously partnered with America).

Assad didn't start a war but he has done some pretty horrific things, and since the civil war started around 100,000 Syrians have died at the hands of pro-Assad forces. I'm not making a case for or against intervention but Assad wasn't just some chill guy who we decided we didn't like with no good reason.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Next

Return to The Big Debate