Media stirring racism.

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Media stirring racism.

Postby Apollo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:51 pm

Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:In fact I'm 100% sure that's what's happening.

Lets start at the beginning.

What your definition of racism?

my definition is quite simple. Any preference or discrimination of a group or an individual based on their race.

Let's specify preference or discrimination?

it doesnt need specification those words at their root definition is what i mean.

preference

The selecting of someone or something over another or others:

to discriminate

to treat a group or person differently to another

if you're giving preference to asian women over white women yes i'd call that racism

This is where you strike out, I'll get back to this later.

What are, or Who are the racial groups?

Pick any theory or conceptualization of race, so we can keep expanding this conversation.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:07 am

Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

my definition is quite simple. Any preference or discrimination of a group or an individual based on their race.

it doesnt need specification those words at their root definition is what i mean.

preference

to discriminate

if you're giving preference to asian women over white women yes i'd call that racism

Pick any theory or conceptualization of race, so we can keep expanding this conversation.

racial gropus are just labels and they're very pointless also. Its dependent on every person but i'll start by saying that it is based on your family. So anyone that shares very easily observable genetic similarities with you and your family members. Whilst someone with very observable genetic differences isnt in your race.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:14 am

Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

preference

to discriminate

racial gropus are just labels and they're very pointless also. Its dependent on every person but i'll start by saying that it is based on your family. So anyone that shares very easily observable genetic similarities with you and your family members. Whilst someone with very observable genetic differences isnt in your race.

We can't have a discussion about racism being inherent if we cant get definition of race or some outline.

I understand that there are different classifications, like with any human construct but whats your criteria, even general racial criteria. "Someone who shares similarities" isnt very exact, for an argument that seems awfully specific.
Last edited by Apollo on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:15 am

Hector speaking hard truths.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 am

Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

preference

to discriminate

We cant have a discussion about racism being inherent if we cant get definition of race.

I understand that there are different classification, like with any human construct but whats your criteria, even general racicial crteria. "Someone who shares similarities" isnt very exact, for an argument that seems awfully specific.

it's hard for me to put words to my definition that's all so let me kind of describe it.

The best way of describing i can think is someone who looks like they originate from the same region as you. It's meant to be subjective and based on the individual so there cant be an exact definition seeing as each individuals perceptions are slightly different.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:21 am

Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

preference

to discriminate

We cant have a discussion about racism being inherent if we cant get definition of race.

I understand that there are different classification, like with any human construct but whats your criteria, even general racicial crteria. "Someone who shares similarities" isnt very exact, for an argument that seems awfully specific.

it's hard for me to put words to my definition that's all so let me kind of describe it.

The best way of describing i can think is someone who looks like they originate from the same region as you.

Perfect.

Next, to your mind would the grouping of people in East Asia be classed as a race or not?

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby NorthBank » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 am

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:Hector speaking hard truths.
Actually he's talking prime bollox.
NorthBank
Michael Thomas

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:31 am

Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

preference

to discriminate

The best way of describing i can think is someone who looks like they originate from the same region as you.

Perfect.

Next, to your mind would the grouping of people in East Asia be classed as a race or not?

i dont really know too much about east asia to be honest ask me about a continent i'm more familiar with, say afria or europe.

I would say people of west africa for the most part are of the same race however some people that may share a lot of similar characteristics racially may be categorized as different because they genetics may not translate to thier looks.

ie albinos wouldnt be considered as being part of the west african race.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:36 am

Africa is too easy, well for the question i want to ask.

By East Asia, im referring to mainly the grouping of Chinese,Japanese,Korean. Would you consider these to be of the same race.

Chinese,Korean,Japanese. For reference.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 am

Apollo wrote:Africa is too easy, well for the question i want to ask.

By East Asia, im referring to mainly the grouping of Chinese,Japanese,Korean. Would you consider these to be of the same race.

i dont know any koreans but in terms of japanese vs chinese from my perspective yes but they are the same race. But then from my own point of view the only relevant thing is all of those groups are a different race to me.

From the point of view of a korean/chinese/ japanese they could see differences between all three that would make them think that they're from different regions. Hence what i said it's subjective.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:54 am

Héctor24 wrote:

i dont know any koreans but in terms of japanese vs chinese from my perspective yes but they are the same race. But then from my own point of view the only relevant thing is all of those groups are a different race to me.

From the point of view of a korean/chinese/ japanese they could see differences between all three that would make them think that they're from different regions. Hence what i said it's subjective.

im going to answer but you need to clarify that first, you said to you they're the same race,then in the next line,to you they are a different race.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zenith » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:58 am

Women: Japanese - Chinese - Korean

Men: Korean - Chinese - Japanese

Double/single eyelids, larger eyes, skin tone, face shape.

I could be totally wrong going by stereotypes but i'm relatively sure I have at least half of them right.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:00 am

Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

im going to answer but you need to clarify that first, you said to you they're the same race,then in the next line,to you they are a different race.

i said they are all different to my own race. Thats the only relevant thing. So if i had never seen any other race other than my own and i say those people i would see them all as just different and i would group them together.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby UFGN » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:04 am

People always set aside their differences when they have a shared foe.

A Manc and a Scoucer will give each other stick until a Cockney comes along, then its North Vs South.

Until of course a Scot gets involved then its all three Englishmen versus the Haggis-fucking tartan molester.

Until they all see a Frenchman of course.....

The human race might someday find peace with itself when the Martians rise up and start kicking our arses
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Apollo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:10 am

Héctor24 wrote:
Apollo wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:

i said they are all different to my own race. Thats the only relevant thing. So if i had never seen any other race other than my own and i say those people i would see them all as just different and i would group them together.

Got it.

So we admit that race is subjective
Individuals may differ in their view of race
But you would group then together, fair enough.

In the beginning I asked if being more attracted to an Asian women than a White women was racist, to which you responded Yes it is racist.

Is being more attracted to Japanese women than to Chinese women racist?

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate