Do Gods and Religion Have a Place in Modern Society?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Do Gods and Religion Have a Place in Modern Society?

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm

The Church's are f***ing con artist.

It takes a special kind of con artist to get rich without paying taxes by selling people an invisible product for 10% of their income that they can't see until after they die, or never really.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:43 pm

StLGooner wrote:The Church's are f***ing con artist.

It takes a special kind of con artist to get rich without paying taxes by selling people an invisible product for 10% of their income that they can't see until after they die, or never really.

Basically a really shit, really expensive life coach
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:32 pm

It takes a special kind of re tard to give away 10% of their income.

Churches only get rich because plebs are willing to give them money.

P.S.

Why is r***rd now censored?

GW going full PC mode like everyone else.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Phil71 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 pm

If there is such a thing as sin, surely the biggest has to be telling people that if they live their only life in a certain way, there’ll be a prize at the end of it.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 am

I've honestly considered moving to Texas to start a megachurch and become a millionaire televangelist. So much easy money to be made from gullible idiots.

But I can't actually go through with it because I hate liars and hypocrites.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Nicely put.

And never, btw.

I do think there is something beyond what we know - an entity we don't understand, but that thing surely isn't a conscious one like God has been presented by these people. The fascinating question for me is - what is the big bang and what was there, if anything, before the big bang?

LMAO wrote:

I've honestly considered moving to Texas to start a megachurch and become a millionaire televangelist. So much easy money to be made from gullible idiots.

But I can't actually go through with it because I hate liars and hypocrites.

Let me know when you do so that I could come and scream, "God loves you," on national TV. "Yes, you. Yes, you too. You, there on the left. You, on the right. You, with the mustache. Everyone."

Hail, Rosemary's Baby!
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm

[quote="Angelito"]The fascinating question for me is - what is the big bang and what was there, if anything, before the big bang?

Not an astrophysicist, but I like the idea that there was a universe(s) before the Big Bang expanding and contracting all the same—we're simply in the most recent incarnation. If we assume the universe to be an isolated system (i.e., no multiverse where each universe can influence others), then it has to adhere to the first law of thermodynamics. It's not the most far out idea, but it falls apart if there is a multiverse, unless the multiverse is an isolated system.

At the end of the day, who knows? :dontknow: It'd be nice to solve the problem of what came before the Big Bang, but I don't think we'll be around long enough for that discovery.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

When thinking about the universe, life, and our consciousness and how it all started or became into existence, if we all would just take the approach of "I don't know", (because after all that is the absolute truth), then I honestly believe the world could be/would be a better place right now. Because knowing and understanding that you don't know, is actually the basis for knowing and understanding. When you pretend or believe you already know these answers to the big questions about life, then you can subconsciously develop an apathetic/ignorant attitude toward those types of questions and therefore to life in general.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Phil71 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:14 pm

It's possible there may be something after death. I think the topic of out of body experiences is very interesting.

One thing I read recently that also made me think, is the topic of a rare phenomenon called Terminal Lucidity. It's the appearance in patients with terminal brain conditions, of a complete return to normality in the days or hours before death. Some people with later stage dementia for example, where physical brain damage is so advanced that even organ failure has begun, have been observed to hold lucid conversations with those around them, with absolutely no signs of the impairments that had been there with the condition. A temporary return of full functionality of the mind.

The theory in some quarters is that this may indicate that the mind is somehow separate from the brain, and functions through the brain, rather than from it. Possibly an indication that we are not just living tissue. That maybe we have a soul, but not in the sense that it is generally spoken of mainstream religions. Maybe some form of perpetual energy that moves on somewhere else when the physical body dies.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Phil71 wrote:It's possible there may be something after death. I think the topic of out of body experiences is very interesting.

One thing I read recently that also made me think, is the topic of a rare phenomenon called Terminal Lucidity. It's the appearance in patients with terminal brain conditions, of a complete return to normality in the days or hours before death. Some people with later stage dementia for example, where physical brain damage is so advanced that even organ failure has begun, have been observed to hold lucid conversations with those around them, with absolutely no signs of the impairments that had been there with the condition. A temporary return of full functionality of the mind.

The theory in some quarters is that this may indicate that the mind is somehow separate from the brain, and functions through the brain, rather than from it. Possibly an indication that we are not just living tissue. That maybe we have a soul, but not in the sense that it is generally spoken of mainstream religions. Maybe some form of perpetual energy that moves on somewhere else when the physical body dies.

Moments of clarity are part and parcel of dementia. It's got nothing to do with death. My nan flirted between batshit bonkers and sober as a judge daily.

Sometimes with hilarious results
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 pm

I wonder if maybe dementia is always with us and simply becomes more pronounced. When you're being unreasonable or paranoid about something..... or when you lose your train of thought and struggle to finish a sentence..... when you have a "blonde moment"

I think it's there already and in some people it simply becomes stronger.

When you're healthy the blonde moments are few and far between. But if it kicks off big-time they become the norm and your normal personality becomes the exception. Hence "moments of clarity"

UFGN

Postby Phil71 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 pm

UFGN wrote:
Phil71 wrote:It's possible there may be something after death. I think the topic of out of body experiences is very interesting.

Moments of clarity are part and parcel of dementia. It's got nothing to do with death. My nan flirted between batshit bonkers and sober as a judge daily.

There are varying degrees to dementia.

With the sort to which I’m referring there is no going back, and people do nothing but deteriorate.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Phil71 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

There are varying degrees to dementia.

With the sort to which I’m referring there is no going back, and people do nothing but deteriorate.

Doesn't exist mate

It's the same gig, just manifests itself in different ways in different people

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:38 am

looooooool

Cue the pearl clutching of Evangelicals. Not a Satanist myself, but I'm all for them pushing the debate on religion in America.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:45 pm

After all, wasn't Satan the one that wanted equality for everyone? Not that any of it is true, but as the story goes right? Or am I wrong on that?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate