Do Gods and Religion Have a Place in Modern Society?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Do Gods and Religion Have a Place in Modern Society?

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:45 am

Héctor24 wrote:I think you're being to optimistic DG.

As Stl said the worthlessness of life is a hard pill for most people to swallow. Most people aren't willing to accept that their life has no more worth than say a moths. People would rather have something to live for instead of believing that they're only living to die.

Part of religion also acts as an incentive for people to behave well because of the prospect of heaven (not always but again i'm talking about people who are seriously religious not the only god can judge me types). This incentive of heaven/ fear of hell is unfortunately so powerful in some people that they are willing to actually die early as martyrs so they can get to heaven/ avoid hell. Heaven gives some people real comfort even if they're life is absolute shit because they believe in the consolationary prize of heaven. Without this a lot of people really struggle.

Again I say this is babying, what do you think people used to live for? caring for and looking after each others family and friends and enjoying life together has always been the worthiness of living, when you have children that increases even more, life is an adventure people should be bloody grateful their getting the experience at all.

Héctor24 wrote:Being athiestic is only a relatively recent phenomenon

This is incorrect, there were atheist types even as far back as Ancient Greece.

Héctor24 wrote:There was religion even in Rome and Greece, religion dates back much further then you're giving credit for. Even Pagans believed in some kind of religion.

I'm talking about the big main religions that have made people into brainwashed idiots,
Believe me I've studied history I know exactly how far back religion goes but it was never so restrictive to life that woman had to wear blankets with eye holes and you couldn't have sex till marriage etc etc, religion used to be tribal / cultural, now its an institution.
Vikings didn't not steal because they were afraid of Odin, they didn't steal (from each other) because you'd get your hand chopped off.

I just look forward to the day when we base our lives on being human beings and not with the paranoid imaginings and bias of invisible Gods.
At least the Pagans had the excuse of needing religion to explain the unexplainable, we don't.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Héctor24 wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I agree with a lot of that Hector. But maybe the question in the title is misleading. Does it have a place or is it needed are two kind of different questions, which could generate two entirely different answers.

We could say it does have a place (and should), because SOME people actually still need it. Is it the majority that need it? Hard to say really.

Or we could say that it doesn't have a place and isn't needed once the majority realize it's probably a false hope.

But just because something has existed so long doesn't mean we still need it, definitely not as a whole.

So maybe that begs the question, if the majority of the world are believers, would society break down if all of the sudden all the believers realized it was all fake and made up?

i dont think it's needed your right but something doesnt have to be needed for it to have a place that's my point. You could argue that things like electricity aren't needed for example and the world wouldnt fall apart if it dissappeared tomorrow but it still has a place.

In response to Jackson it still serves a purpose or else it wouldnt still be so popular

I think we already really kind of know that, and that's just stating the obvious really.

So let me ask you this. Do you think within the next 50-100 years, that the majority of humans will still believe in god? Or if that isn't long enough, can you see anytime in the future where most of us (humans in general) will look back on these times and laugh at all the silly gods/religions we believed in?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Héctor24 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:51 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I agree with a lot of that Hector. But maybe the question in the title is misleading. Does it have a place or is it needed are two kind of different questions, which could generate two entirely different answers.

We could say it does have a place (and should), because SOME people actually still need it. Is it the majority that need it? Hard to say really.

Or we could say that it doesn't have a place and isn't needed once the majority realize it's probably a false hope.

But just because something has existed so long doesn't mean we still need it, definitely not as a whole.

So maybe that begs the question, if the majority of the world are believers, would society break down if all of the sudden all the believers realized it was all fake and made up?

i dont think it's needed your right but something doesnt have to be needed for it to have a place that's my point. You could argue that things like electricity aren't needed for example and the world wouldnt fall apart if it dissappeared tomorrow but it still has a place.

In response to Jackson it still serves a purpose or else it wouldnt still be so popular

I think we already really kind of know that, and that's just stating the obvious really.

So let me ask you this. Do you think within the next 50-100 years, that the majority of humans will still believe in god? Or if that isn't long enough, can you see anytime in the future where most of us (humans in general) will look back on these times and laugh at all the silly gods/religions we believed in?

In the next 50-100 years people will still believe in God, that kind of time frame is way to short imo. You have people being born now that are still taught it and even if 50% of religious people's children of today renounced religion there would still be a significant amount of religious people. 50% sounds not enough in the western world i would guess upwards of 50% of people in the Western World will probably renounce their religion if they have been brought up religious.

However in South America, Africa, Certain parts of Europe and Asia that percentage is too generous. The majority of the World today is still religious in some way so i think 50 years is far too short and even 100 is. Also another thing we need to acknowledge is that there are still people who begin without religion and then turn to it. I've met a lot of these kinds in my lifetime which makes me believe that the debate isnt as simple as 'kids getting indoctrinated from birth).

Maybe in 1000-2000 years religion may die out but i believe it will be replaced by something else.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Well I was indoctrinated at birth, and I made it out of that silliness! :)

Also, in the US alone, the number of people leaving their religion is already soaring, although there are still way more people who still believe. I can see that trend continuing for a while honestly. Kids have access to more information these days, so I think it's harder to keep that lie of religion going, when so much information opposing/contradicting it is out there now.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maradonna » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:33 pm

love how someone can think that is a free thinker.
its lovely, really.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jackson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Héctor24 wrote:As i said as long as it still has a purpose then it still has a place. Whether you want that purpose served is really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Individuals or even groups shouldnt dictate what purposes others should and shouldnt wanted served. If it serves you no purpose then that's completely fine religion should have no place in yout life but if it serves others then who are you to tell them that they shouldnt want these purposes fufilled. Wouldnt that be the social control that you're so vehemently against?
I don't want to force people not to believe, I want to convince them that it's an empty illusion. I think it's tragic that people focus on a load of old pony and trap rather than the beauty and horror of real life. I also have a problem with organised religion deciding how things are run, Vatican power and influence, Sharia law etc etc.
Jackson
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Angelito » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:51 pm

"The whole problem with the world is that fools
and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts."
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby whee » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Do "Gods and Religion" have a place in modern society?

Let's step back just a few years to 2010, staying in modern times.

A population of between 6.9 & 7bn people.

2.2bn Christians (32%)
1.6bn Muslims (23%)
1bn Hindus (15%)
500m Buddhists (7%)
14m Jews (0.2%)

400m (6%) people practice various folk or traditional religions...
Around 58 (1%) million people belong to other religions.

84.2% of the population identify themselves with a religious group. I'd say that's a pretty big f***ing place in modern society.

Honestly, it's a ridiculous question. You've got churches all over the place, places of worship all over the world draw tourists in regardless of their religion or beliefs. Mosques being built at a significant rate in Europe to cater for the requirement.

Of course religion has it's place, how disrespectful to suggest otherwise.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:06 pm

Angelito wrote:"The whole problem with the world is that fools
and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts."

Love that one!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun May 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Atheists now outnumber the good, religious people of Britain [Guardian]
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sun May 29, 2016 12:18 pm

NOTE - i'm certainly not one of Obama's biggest fans - but this statement is spot on
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Sun May 29, 2016 2:34 pm

The implications of that quote are nothing short of ignorant. To imply that religion is made lesser by how minorities use it is farcical reasoning.

The way that quote mixes up religious promises with the actions of man is almost as bad as how this thread talks about Gods and religion as if they're the same thing
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Obama hates religion, all part of being the anti-Christ
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby CukiZeGerman » Sun May 29, 2016 3:36 pm

Pudpop wrote:The implications of that quote are nothing short of ignorant. To imply that religion is made lesser by how minorities use it is farcical reasoning.

If said minorities follow their respective religions literally (they follow their books and prophets to the letter) rather than cherry picking what they like and what they don't like, than they do, in fact, represent their religion.

It is a completely different story that most religious people in Western democracies like to cherrypick from their religion - like Christians that like to cherry pick old testament quotes to bash gays - but when someone uses old testament quotes to make a counter argument - they say that it doesn't count because of the new testament.

It would be completely different if those people made stuff up - but it is writting right there in those "holy books".

Tho' I do agree with your notion that people wrongly associate gods with religions.
People need to learn the difference between deism, (a)theism (apatheism / monotheism / polytheism), (a)gnosticim, antitheism etc.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby VCC » Sun May 29, 2016 7:07 pm

the world would go broke with no religion...............................................no wars, no arms deals and no need for billions to be put into Arms development
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate