What's your take on marriages?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: What's your take on marriages?

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:28 pm

The gays can have it!

:hiding:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:31 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
I agree with the above posters, it's pointless and only makes it harder to get out of a relationship.

That is kinda the point.

And it shouldn't be hard to get out of a relationship.

It isn't difficult getting out of a relationship, which again is one of the major reasons why marriage exists.

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
I agree with the above posters, it's pointless and only makes it harder to get out of a relationship.

That is kinda the point.

It isn't difficult getting out of a relationship, which again is one of the major reasons why marriage exists.

It is difficult getting out of a marriage It literally can cost thousands, and why some just end up staying together, which isn't a good thing.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:46 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

That is kinda the point.

It is difficult getting out of a marriage It literally can cost thousands, and why some just end up staying together, which isn't a good thing.

Precisely

Im not talking about how anybody personally chooses to deal with their relationships, and what couples do and don't do, or how couples should choose to live their lives, or what reasons people should or shouldn't stay together. That's non of my business.

But Marriage definitely can't be called pointless, that's a pretty big point you touched on.

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

That is kinda the point.

Precisely

Im not talking about how anybody personally chooses to deal with their relationships, and what couples do and don't do, or how couples should choose to live their lives, or what reasons people should or shouldn't stay together. That's non of my business.

But Marriage definitely can't be called pointless, that's a pretty big point you touched on.

I think it can, because it isn't needed. It serves no purpose. You can live just as good of a life and have just as good of a relationship and family without ever getting married. There are certain things you are allowed to do that you can't without being married, but imo it's pretty pointless.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Apollo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:10 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

That is kinda the point.

Precisely

I think it can, because it isn't needed. It serves no purpose. You can live just as good of a life and have just as good of a relationship and family without ever getting married. There are certain things you are allowed to do that you can't without being married, but imo it's pretty pointless.

I do understand what you're saying.

You see no value in it, as you can live a good life without it etc. I don't disagree with this.

Its has its points, you just don't share those values, but those points do still exist though, agreeing or not agreeing with the "purpose" doesn't change the existence of the purpose..

Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Apollo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

That is kinda the point.

Precisely

I understand.

You see no value in it, as you can live a good life without it etc. I don't disagree with this.

Its has its points, you just don't share those values, but those points do still exist though, agreeing or not agreeing with the "purpose" doesn't change the existence of the purpose..

Right! It has a purpose from a Govt/society stand point, looking at it like that I get it. And of course everyone is different and can give it it's on purpose/meaning if they choose.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:31 pm

marriages aren't pointless the whole point of marriage is a commitment to stay together that is stronger than 'i promise' and that incurs more penalties than less official relationships. The main issue now however is that only the man gets punished when either party wants to end a marriage. Hence why it's pretty much irrational for a man to even get married nowadays.

Men that get married have to accept that a large portion of any money they will ever make could be taken from them by force and this could depend entirely on the womans feelings. Using a womans feelings as the foundation of anything isnt likely to promote any kind of stability and it's no surprise that ever since laws moved towards that direction marriages have lost a lot of meaning,
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CukiZeGerman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Héctor24 wrote:marriages aren't pointless the whole point of marriage is a commitment to stay together that is stronger than 'i promise' and that incurs more penalties than less official relationships.

First part of this statement is bullshit.
I've seen people in healthy stable relationships that were more comitted to each other than some married couples.

2nd part of the statement is actually true.
And this was the point Apollo was talking about - the whole point of marriage compared to a live-in relationship nowadays is that it's not as simple to get out of a marriage as is to get out of a "normal" relationship.

Héctor24 wrote:The main issue now however is that only the man gets punished when either party wants to end a marriage.

Bullshit.

Héctor24 wrote:Men that get married have to accept that a large portion of any money they will ever make could be taken from them by force and this could depend entirely on the womans feelings.

Same point could be made from a different POV?

Héctor24 wrote:Using a womans feelings as the foundation of anything isnt likely to promote any kind of stability and it's no surprise that ever since laws moved towards that direction marriages have lost a lot of meaning,

Marriage has lost a lot of meaning because people realised that a piece of paper won't change anything.
If I love my girlfriend, getting married with her will change absolutely ZILCH of my feelings for her. It could actually just cause more trouble.
Hold the doooooor
CukiZeGerman
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Héctor24 wrote:marriages aren't pointless the whole point of marriage is a commitment to stay together that is stronger than 'i promise' and that incurs more penalties than less official relationships. The main issue now however is that only the man gets punished when either party wants to end a marriage. Hence why it's pretty much irrational for a man to even get married nowadays.

Men that get married have to accept that a large portion of any money they will ever make could be taken from them by force and this could depend entirely on the womans feelings. Using a womans feelings as the foundation of anything isnt likely to promote any kind of stability and it's no surprise that ever since laws moved towards that direction marriages have lost a lot of meaning,

You just kind of contradicted yourself.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:49 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:marriages aren't pointless the whole point of marriage is a commitment to stay together that is stronger than 'i promise' and that incurs more penalties than less official relationships.

First part of this statement is bullshit.
I've seen people in healthy stable relationships that were more comitted to each other than some married couples.

2nd part of the statement is actually true.
And this was the point Apollo was talking about - the whole point of marriage compared to a live-in relationship nowadays is that it's not as simple to get out of a marriage as is to get out of a "normal" relationship.

Héctor24 wrote:The main issue now however is that only the man gets punished when either party wants to end a marriage.

Bullshit.

Héctor24 wrote:Men that get married have to accept that a large portion of any money they will ever make could be taken from them by force and this could depend entirely on the womans feelings.

Same point could be made from a different POV?

Héctor24 wrote:Using a womans feelings as the foundation of anything isnt likely to promote any kind of stability and it's no surprise that ever since laws moved towards that direction marriages have lost a lot of meaning,

Marriage has lost a lot of meaning because people realised that a piece of paper won't change anything.
If I love my girlfriend, getting married with her will change absolutely ZILCH of my feelings for her. It could actually just cause more trouble.

Agreed!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:33 pm

CukiZeGerman wrote:First part of this statement is bullshit.

i dont care about people behaviour in relationships i'm talking about the legal aspect. You cant escape marriage without penalties but you can a pive in relationship.

CukiZeGerman wrote:2nd part of the statement is actually true.

CukiZeGerman wrote:Same point could be made from a different POV

it could do but generally it isnt made for that point of view because it's much less common.

CukiZeGerman wrote:Marriage has lost a lot of meaning because people realised that a piece of paper won't change anything.

Infatuation/love isnt the same as marriage. The reason why marriages are meaningless now is because of the introduction of no fault divorces. If the whole purpose of marriage is to show a strong legal commitment that really shouldnt be broken (as you have admitted) making it easier to get out of marriages goes completely against the whole principle. You'd be arrogant to believe it took people 1000s of years to realise what you've just said about love. People already knew this and it was never the main reasons for marriage.
Last edited by Héctor24 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Héctor24 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:35 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Héctor24 wrote:marriages aren't pointless the whole point of marriage is a commitment to stay together that is stronger than 'i promise' and that incurs more penalties than less official relationships. The main issue now however is that only the man gets punished when either party wants to end a marriage. Hence why it's pretty much irrational for a man to even get married nowadays.

where's the contadiction?

i didnt realise men were the only ones involved im marriages.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Héctor24 wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

where's the contadiction?

i didnt realise men were the only ones involved im marriages.

You're at least deeming it pointless for the man. I did say kind of.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby D23 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Wenger is a fool for leaving his wife for that young bird if he was a pe teacher or something she wouldn't look twice at him. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
D23
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate