MPs reject 'right to die' law

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: MPs reject 'right to die' law

Postby Est83 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:28 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Excellent decision by the MPs here.

What a surprise, Tory boy wants bureaucrats to feed him and wipe his arse, democracy is overrated right?

Two quotes stood out for me:

"against the views of the majority of the public who supported the bill."

"these are matters for parliament to decide."

Oh wise, great and Godly private school bullies, what will your infinite wisdom decide for us next? Because we surely aren't worthy of making such decisions.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Sims » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:32 pm

I don't understand how people can be against this
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Héctor24 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:05 pm

TOP wrote:What's this for bs. Most of the time people in that position aren't physically capable to do so. Let alone asking a relative to commit murder.[/b]

how can you not be in the physical condition to not eat food or drink water?? whatabout drowining yourself in a bath? i'm sure if it's their last hurrah they can find a way.

The problem i see with euthanasia is that people will rather euthanase a problem relative even if the relative wants to remain living. Also if you allow euthanasia as alexis said why cant you just allow sucicide. The same medical arguments for euthanasia can just be made for depression.
Héctor24
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:50 pm

^
Oh come on, man, have you ever not had food or water for even one or two whole days? That's no way to die
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:57 pm

Sims wrote:I don't understand how people can be against this

I felt the same about gay marriage, as in I just couldn't understand why there was even a debate. A complete no-brainer.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Est83 wrote:

What a surprise, Tory boy wants bureaucrats to feed him and wipe his arse, democracy is overrated right?

Oh wise, great and Godly private school bullies, what will your infinite wisdom decide for us next? Because we surely aren't worthy of making such decisions.

I'm not a Tory. My opposition to this bill came from the fact that all it would do is legalise murder in certain situations.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Trina » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:50 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Est83 wrote:

I'm not a Tory. My opposition to this bill came from the fact that all it would do is legalise murder in certain situations.

Under the proposals, people with fewer than six months to live could have been prescribed a lethal dose of drugs, which they had to be able to take themselves. Two doctors and a High Court judge would have needed to approve each case

I don't see it as murder. I see it as people who have months/weeks left to live and can't take it anymore, want to end it.

I can't even imagine being in that situation. I've seen 2 close friends terminally ill and the last few weeks were awful. They were well aware of everything. If they wanted to end it, they should of been allowed to.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby JordanTheGunner » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 am

This is a hard one, I can genuinely see both sides.

I wouldn't want people dying when there is a chance they could get better, those that are terminally ill need to be medically examined so that they are able to make a decision like this.

Would cost a lot of money for this to become apparent though.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:40 am

It is very hard, one of the main reasons why Im for rejecting this is that Ive read amazing recovery stories, like Charlotte Figi for example over in the states but I can understand the pain factor and wanting it to end.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Gooner_LK6 wrote:It is very hard, one of the main reasons why Im for rejecting this is that Ive read amazing recovery stories, like Charlotte Figi for example over in the states but I can understand the pain factor and wanting it to end.

What's the ration of miraculous recoveries compared to slow, painful, hopeless deaths?

Pro-choice, all the way!

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby Jackson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm

MPs out of step with what ordinary people think again. I can't see the point in simply prolonging suffering, particularly if the personality is largely degraded by dementia.
And here's to you Mathieu Flamini
Arsene loves you more than you will ever know (wo, wo, wo, wo)
Jackson
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Gooner_LK6 wrote:It is very hard, one of the main reasons why Im for rejecting this is that Ive read amazing recovery stories, like Charlotte Figi for example over in the states but I can understand the pain factor and wanting it to end.

This law was for people who were terminally ill and had less than six months to live.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Callum wrote:

This law was for people who were terminally ill and had less than six months to live.

Anything can happen, there are people who've recovered after being told that. Its a hard one to decide at the end of the day.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 pm

Est83 wrote:

What's the ration of miraculous recoveries compared to slow, painful, hopeless deaths?

Pro-choice, all the way!

Well yeh, there wont be many, but you will never know you are one of those recoveries if you kill yourself off.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Gooner_LK6 wrote:
Callum wrote:

Anything can happen, there are people who've recovered after being told that. Its a hard one to decide at the end of the day.

If somebody decides they want to hang on and hope for a miracle then that's their choice. If they decide to bow out at a time of their choosing instead of waiting to waste away then that should also be their choice.

Two doctors who are independent of each other, and a high court judge, would be the safety net to prevent inappropriate use of euthanasia laws.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate