The Big Bang Theory and God

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

The Big Bang Theory and God

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:24 am

So, UFGN and Mara's questions/statements regarding the Big Bang and God compelled me to start a new discussion altogether.

UFGN wrote:
Angelito wrote:Was God behind the Big Bang?

Not if you believe the bible.

If you're asking a broader question of, is god in fact real and all the science we observe actually his method of creation, then thats an idea thats worth exploring.... But it certainly doesn't tie in with any mainstream religion as currently taught.

Maradonaitis wrote:
Angelito wrote:Was God behind the Big Bang?

Is God the Big Bang is probably a more adequate question.

^ The quotes.

Well, where does that leave us now? A few questions worth answering/pondering upon:

a. Is God the Big Bang?
b. Was the void before the Big Bang God in its latent form?
c. Is the Universe, as it stands today, God manifest?
d. How would you correlate the theology of God to the science of Big Bang?
e. Could these polars be explained through mainstream religion, if one tried?
f. What are your views on this?

So, please - share your opinions on this. I'm really intrigued.

And, no - we're talking about THE Big Bang Theory, not the Big Bang Theory. ;)
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Big Bang Theory and God

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:10 am

A page on Wiki - short and not elaborative, but it's a preview:

Religious interpretations of the Big Bang theory
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maradonna » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 pm

the big bang theory is a love letter to god.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:18 pm

God does not exist and there is no proof that he does.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Callum wrote:God does not exist and there is no proof that he does.

how would you explain this then:

Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Maradonaitis wrote:
Callum wrote:God does not exist and there is no proof that he does.

how would you explain this then:

Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 pm

I believe in God. I can't prove he exists but no one else can prove he doesn't. In short I don't really give a shit what people think.

/thread
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Cripps wrote:I believe in God. I can't prove he exists but no one else can prove he doesn't. In short I don't really give a shit what people think.

/thread

Doesn't make it true though. And you can't prove a negative.

By that logic I believe in a giant spaghetti monster who lives in the sky, I can't prove he exists but you can't prove that he doesn't. It holds as much value as God.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Callum wrote:
Cripps wrote:I believe in God. I can't prove he exists but no one else can prove he doesn't. In short I don't really give a shit what people think.

/thread

By that logic I believe in a giant spaghetti monster who lives in the sky, I can't prove he exists but you can't prove that he doesn't. It holds as much value as God.

Like I said. I don't really give a shit what others think. I believe what I believe and others believe what they believe. Good luck to them.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Jackson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:30 pm

When I'm lush and on my run
and I feel just like Jesus' son
And here's to you Mathieu Flamini
Arsene loves you more than you will ever know (wo, wo, wo, wo)
Jackson
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Callum » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:34 pm

Cripps wrote:
Callum wrote:

/thread

Like I said. I don't really give a shit what others think. I believe what I believe and others believe what they believe. Good luck to them.

And I completely agree that people should be able to believe in whatever they think, but the idea that God is real because you can't prove that he isn't is terrible logic.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Cripps » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 pm

That's not what I said or not what I meant anyway. If people believing in God gives them peace then that's great. Obviously those c**** be them Muslim or otherwise who kill in the name of God are c**** and not representative at all of us. We are more like Ned Flanders.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 pm

The issue is that the big bang theory relies on an impossibility itself. The big bang theory says that nothing exploded and created everything. Of course that is impossible as nothing can come from nothing. However, if you take the theory as it was originally conceived it makes a lot more sense as it states the notion there being something before which caused the creation of the universe. That something before would be what we would know as God.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Callum » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:09 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:The issue is that the big bang theory relies on an impossibility itself. The big bang theory says that nothing exploded and created everything. Of course that is impossible as nothing can come from nothing. However, if you take the theory as it was originally conceived it makes a lot more sense as it states the notion there being something before which caused the creation of the universe. That something before would be what we would know as God.

The way I see it is that our concept of "time" and "nothing" is so primal and basic that it can't be extrapolated to something as crazy, vast and long as the universe. I just don't think humans are capable of understanding something that is so much bigger than us in the same way monkeys aren't capable of understanding what the f**k algebra is. They don't have the brain function for it. Humans think they're smart because the only things we can compare ourselves too are animals. I just think there's an arrogance to humans in thinking that the answers to life are something we can find out - hey, perhaps we can, but I think there's a greater probability that the truth behind it all is something we just cannot possibly comprehend.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Callum wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:The issue is that the big bang theory relies on an impossibility itself. The big bang theory says that nothing exploded and created everything. Of course that is impossible as nothing can come from nothing. However, if you take the theory as it was originally conceived it makes a lot more sense as it states the notion there being something before which caused the creation of the universe. That something before would be what we would know as God.

The way I see it is that our concept of "time" and "nothing" is so primal and basic that it can't be extrapolated to something as crazy, vast and long as the universe. I just don't think humans are capable of understanding something that is so much bigger than us in the same way monkeys aren't capable of understanding what the f**k algebra is. They don't have the brain function for it. Humans think they're smart because the only things we can compare ourselves too are animals. I just think there's an arrogance to humans in thinking that the answers to life are something we can find out - hey, perhaps we can, but I think there's a greater probability that the truth behind it all is something we just cannot possibly comprehend.

:clap:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Next

Return to The Big Debate