How old is too old ? for a come back

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

How old is too old ? for a come back

Postby VCC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 am

recently I have come back into contact with a lot of people who are currently racing on the sidecar circuit here. Two of which were in their rookie seasons when I raced my last, I have been asked to come out of retirement LOL the mind says yes and the body although being slow is still up for the job ( I think) the defining factor for me was the look on the families faces when I tested the waters around the dinner table.

are there any stories of comebacks or of far too early retirements for what ever reasons?
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: How old is too old ? for a come back

Postby 22-0 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:37 am

do what YOU wanna do what other people think shouldnt matter.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby VCC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:50 am

22-0 wrote:do what YOU wanna do what other people think shouldnt matter.

have been there done that, don't have anything to prove have won national champs raced internationaly ,other than a world championship which wasn't raced for when I raced and now is what would I achieve at my age and I would not be competitive which would break my heart. my boys look f**k dad will get hurt or killed my partners daughters look was REALLY! and my partner who has been around me and for over 20 odd years was you have to be joking she had experienced the lifestyle and knows its a whole lot more than get on a bike and ride.

I don't want to know about mine I want to know what you have all done.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Welsh Gunner » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:55 am

I've been contemplating returning to play rugby for my local team this season. I stopped playing competitively at 36 but have played the odd charity game etc since then. Haven't played at all for about 4 years.
I'm now an unfit 45 but recently have shed some weight (just over a stone- 8 kilos), which has given me the appetite to give it a go.
Pre-season training starting soon, so I may pop along just to see if the old legs can take it.
Welsh Gunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby VCC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:01 am

Welsh Gunner wrote:I've been contemplating returning to play rugby for my local team this season. I stopped playing competitively at 36 but have played the odd charity game etc since then. Haven't played at all for about 4 years.
I'm now an unfit 45 but recently have shed some weight (just over a stone- 8 kilos), which has given me the appetite to give it a go.
Pre-season training starting soon, so I may pop along just to see if the old legs can take it.

What possition WG did you play and are thinking of playing in that same possition
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Welsh Gunner » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:54 am

Played No8 for my last 3 or 4 seasons but it's only a small club without many players. So I think I played every position on the field during my time there at some point.
I'd probably like to play a similar position next season if my body allows me to make a comeback ! :)
Welsh Gunner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Return to The Big Debate