Employment for school leavers

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Employment for school leavers

Postby Trina » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:38 pm

My daughter has finished her exams now. She has been accepted into college onto a business course....

However, after arguments with her and her thinking she can find a part time job, then decide if she wants college or a full time job later this year (her words)....I finally made her understand she has 2 options.

Part time work and college

or

Full Time work (Work Apprenticeships included)

So I went to show her how easy it was to find a job...Which it was until I saw this perfect job for her (as she wants to do office/admin)

Apprentice Junior Administrator
Job description

This is a government funded apprenticeship working with Eco Green Deals in the WF2 area.

We are looking for a Junior Administrator to join our expanding business in Wakefield

Duties Include:

- Preparing and completing paperwork to our high company standards

- Creating photo templates

- Working on and updating spreadsheets
- Answering the phone and dealing with customer / business queries
- Maintaining the high office standards that we have
- General office duties as and when required

In our area and she has work experience doing this as she worked at an estate agent in her work experience.

Then I read in small text...

Fluency in Urdu or Hindu would be advantageous but not essential.

wtf?!

I have no doubt if someone can speak that language they would get the job!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Employment for school leavers

Postby Callum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 pm

I don't see any harm in applying. If she gets an interview and impresses they might be happy to go with her over someone who can speak Urdu, but obviously she'd be at a disadvantage. Worth trying though, at least.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:47 pm

interviews are always great trina, let her know what that proccess is.

And btw, my old job they requiered portuguese as a secondary lenguage, i cant speak shit yet i went there and got the job, so you never know.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:48 pm

Oh she will apply lol :)

I've tried explaining to her about jobs. She has applied for 2 and hasn't heard anything. You have to apply for about 10 to hear 2 or 3 responses back.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Callum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:50 pm

Trina wrote:You have to apply for about 10 to hear 2 or 3 responses back.

If you're lucky!
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Maradonna » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Trina wrote:Oh she will apply lol :)

I've tried explaining to her about jobs. She has applied for 2 and hasn't heard anything. You have to apply for about 10 to hear 2 or 3 responses back.

as callum said, if you are lucky.
I just love interviews, they are the best practice that you can get in selling yourself.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trina » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Callum wrote:

If you're lucky!

I know, Im just trying to make her realise the real world. She is in such a bubble at the minute.

It's weird too because right now at her age. I was in full time work (before I got my exam results) in accounts at Mount Charlotte and Thistle Hotels head office. Had my own place too (well shared bedsit). But I got off my backside and did it all myself.

When I said this to her earlier, she said to me times have changed........your not bloody kidding! Too damn lazy!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Trina wrote:
Callum wrote:

If you're lucky!

I know, Im just trying to make her realise the real world. She is in such a bubble at the minute.

It's weird too because right now at her age. I was in full time work (before I got my exam results) in accounts at Mount Charlotte and Thistle Hotels head office. Had my own place too (well shared bedsit). But I got off my backside and did it all myself.

When I said this to her earlier, she said to me times have changed........your not bloody kidding! Too damn lazy!

They bloody have, if I said that to my mum at that age I'd of caught a slap lol.

It's good practice for her like mara said. She has to learn about life and now is as good a time as any. It'll hit her when she starts the job and realises that the days of 6 weeks summer holidays, 3 weeks at Christmas and various other doss sessions are DONE.

Also how happy you thinking about your first months wages, then realise just how many hours you worked for the tax man.

or my personal favourite, the first time I realised I how old I was compared to my predicted retirement age and just how many years that means!

Does she have any idea what she wants to be? That's a good start to uncovering what she has to do to get there ie college or school leavers programmes etc.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Trina » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 pm

That was the big talk I had with her tonight about what she wants to do. And she said admin/office work.....eventually. Oh and Ive told her there is no big holidays now she has left school!

I just wish she would think for herself instead of relying on me. I will always be there for her. But she needs to learn the easy things in life like how to apply for a job. Which I have shown her!

I've set up a new email account, new cv for her, new covering letter and told her to copy whats in the sentbox, except change the job title.

I'm told by my mum and stepdad and our jon lol, me and her are so alike we clash. And we do, big time lol. The rolling eyes, attitude etc. I don't take it trust me!
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Cripps » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:31 pm

I can speak both urdu and Hindi. That job is mine
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Trina » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:32 pm

:lol:
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Zedie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Took me ages to work out what I wanted to do too.

She'll find her path in her own time. The important thing is to let her find it and be there along the way to give her advice when she needs it.

Ie you've helped her get her CV together now for the first time, but for the next job application, get her to think about stuff she's done that links to the kind of company she is going for.

Christ, this is bringing back memories!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 am

I'd advise any school leaver nowadays to think about how future-proof their chosen career is. Its something i didn't think through properly and as a result I might need to retrain at some point.

Police, emergency services, skilled tradesmen, teaching, physiotherapist, anything that can't be replaced by the Internet.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby jmiles10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:29 am

They dont really encourage you at school to establish what you want to do. It's like going uni is be all and end all these days.
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:41 am

jmiles10 wrote:They dont really encourage you at school to establish what you want to do. It's like going uni is be all and end all these days.

Well it shouldn't be! A degree is a tool to be used, not a goal in its own right. The job after the degree should be front and centre of decision making before someone even starts university.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Next

Return to The Big Debate