Employment for school leavers

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Employment for school leavers

Postby Sims » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:12 am

Anyone who goes to Uni simply to have a degree is stupid. My CV is wank, a couple of relevant weeks worth of work experience at a couple of places and that's it.

I think people my age are too obsessed by money and don't look at the bigger picture. I'm doing work experience for a month after I finish my exams with no pay apart from travel & lunch. Some students wouldn't be willing to do that.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Maradonna » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:24 am

if i have a kid, i would make him learn from a very early age at least 2 extra lenguages, it is so important in todays world to know how to comunicate, you miss so much because of lenguage. It is an incredible advantage to speak a couple of lenguages when it comes to job opportunities.
probably English Spanish (of course) and Mandarin.
Maradonna
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jmiles10 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:56 am

Maradonaitis wrote:if i have a kid, i would make him learn from a very early age at least 2 extra lenguages, it is so important in todays world to know how to comunicate, you miss so much because of lenguage. It is an incredible advantage to speak a couple of lenguages when it comes to job opportunities.
probably English Spanish (of course) and Mandarin.

True, in England they only introduce 2nd languages at 11+ its already quite difficult to learn by that age and its not even taken that seriously anyway, the only people that tend to truly grasp it know multiple languages already. Also I am positive Wayne Rooneys English would be better if he learnt Spanish at five.
jmiles10
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:55 am

Yep, as other have said, just apply and see how it works. Extra language proficiency is a very important asset these days. But it's not the be-all and end all.

Most international organizations, even for national staff members, expect language proficiency in one or two of Hindi, Chinese, Spanish, French, Arabic, etc., depending on the location, type of job, and customers/clients involved.

As Mara stated, interviews are the best way of selling yourself. Even if you "fail" in the interview, you learn a lot of thing that you can't learn otherwise. It helps built confidence and builds an attitude.

The market is very competitive these days, but I feel nothing beats skills. Experience helps foster skills, yet if you're damn good at what you do, which the Uni is supposed to ensure apart from your own personal desire to learn, you'll be in pretty good hands.

Though, as you said, you need to apply for many, MANY before you hear from them. The sad part is the hiring managers themselves aren't overtly qualified these days, so it all comes down to a perfect match or chance.

UFGN wrote:I'd advise any school leaver nowadays to think about how future-proof their chosen career is. Its something i didn't think through properly and as a result I might need to retrain at some point.

Police, emergency services, skilled tradesmen, teaching, physiotherapist, anything that can't be replaced by the Internet.

That's very true. The shell life of many jobs these days fluctuate and decline ultimately. To use films as an example, Tarantino started off working in video rentals. But he learned his trade there and went on to become a fine filmmaker, so even after the decline of video tape rentals, he managed to carve something for himself.

jmiles10 wrote:They dont really encourage you at school to establish what you want to do. It's like going uni is be all and end all these days.

That's a major argument doing rounds in the education sector. Formal education teaches you the laws of gravity, but does it teach you to be practical and become street smart, which is as essential as knowledge these days? That's why many say that the education system needs an overhaul. We're still stuck with the same system, albeit a different mechanism, as we were in the 1800s and early 1900s. Not much has changed after the advent of Campus Universities.

Back then, people were practical and you had to go out to learn. You could learn the less refined aspects through your community. It was essential for a child to be double-edged: street smart and prudently refined. The lifestyle was such. These days, you can stay at home and learn almost anything, yet you lose out on the practical aspects of life that experience teaches you, which is why a 20-year-old of twenty years ago would be a lot more practical and equipped than a 20-year-old of today.

For example, I dislike talking on phone. It's in-built because I grew up in a internet/smartphone/laptop centric generation. For somebody before me, it's a surprise that I prefer text over talk. This generation is just horrible at public relations and physical networking because everything is done behind the screen.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to The Big Debate