American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world.
Please remember everyone has their own opinion

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:53 pm

StockGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Jedi wrote:CBS hires full time security for Lesley Stahl, the 60 minutes correspondent, because Trumpists are sending her death threats because she asked Trump questions during their interview.

This is a 78 year old woman who tried to do her job of keeping the US President acccountable and now she can't leave the house without armed security.

This isn't the first case of something like this happening either. Anthony Fauci and his daughters also can't leave the house without full armed security after Trump and his supporters went for him because he told people how they're supposed to act during a pandemic.


You reap what you sew.
This was inevitable and the driver is not Trump.


What did she sow?

Why are you blaming her?


I am not blaming her specifically - but she IS part of the problem.

For 4 years there have been death threats against Trump and his family, actual assassination attempts, physical attacks on people wearing Trump hats, running Trump staff out of restaurants, turning up at Republicans houses in the middle of the night, shootings of Republican Congressmen and Senators attacks on Republican Senators putting them in hospital. The behaviour has been disgraceful and the media have fomented hatred day in day out.

At some stage, the retaliation was always going to come. You can only push people so far.

As I said, you reap what you sew.


So she reaped what she sewed by how exactly? You're saying here she can't leave the house because of the behaviour of others?


She, along with many like her in the media, have fomented hatred for 4 years. She is living with the consequences of her own actions. You create the monster, don't be surprised if it turns on you.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: American Politics

Postby Yago » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 pm

Yeah, victim Vlaming when the president uses his office to advocate hate for 4 years. A real good look.
Yago
WC Prediction League winner
WC Prediction League winner
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: American Politics

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Yago wrote:Yeah, victim Vlaming when the president uses his office to advocate hate for 4 years. A real good look.


It's jokes.

Talking about fomenting hate when Donald "there are good people on both sides" Trump is at the helm.

Elite banter.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21686
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: American Politics

Postby Jedi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:She, along with many like her in the media, have fomented hatred for 4 years. She is living with the consequences of her own actions. You create the monster, don't be surprised if it turns on you.

You don't think it has anything to do with Trump attacking the media at every rally for the past 5 years and ripping a page out of Goebbels book by branding them "the enemy of the people"?

Also, what about Fauci and his daughters? What did he do wrong to be attacked by Trump and receive death threats from his cultists?
User avatar
Jedi
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6210
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Jedi wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:She, along with many like her in the media, have fomented hatred for 4 years. She is living with the consequences of her own actions. You create the monster, don't be surprised if it turns on you.

You don't think it has anything to do with Trump attacking the media at every rally for the past 5 years and ripping a page out of Goebbels book by branding them "the enemy of the people"?

Also, what about Fauci and his daughters? What did he do wrong to be attacked by Trump and receive death threats from his cultists?


Like I said - you reap what you sew.
The 'enemy of the people' tag was earned. The media have been a disgrace.
They have fomented hatred and divided for years.

There is now hatred spewing from both the extremes of the political spectrum.
I am afraid you can't put the lid on it now, it's too far gone.

The underlying cause of it all are the media - and not just recently.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Yago wrote:Yeah, victim Vlaming when the president uses his office to advocate hate for 4 years. A real good look.


It's jokes.

Talking about fomenting hate when Donald "there are good people on both sides" Trump is at the helm.

Elite banter.


^
Good example of how the media drives division and hatred.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: American Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:08 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Jedi wrote:CBS hires full time security for Lesley Stahl, the 60 minutes correspondent, because Trumpists are sending her death threats because she asked Trump questions during their interview.

This is a 78 year old woman who tried to do her job of keeping the US President acccountable and now she can't leave the house without armed security.

This isn't the first case of something like this happening either. Anthony Fauci and his daughters also can't leave the house without full armed security after Trump and his supporters went for him because he told people how they're supposed to act during a pandemic.


The BBC's chief political editor Laura Kuenssberg also has a bodyguard

The Right in the UK are used to the press sucking their dicks and dont like critical journalism..... they call the BBC biased when Kuenssberg has actually had abuse from Corbyn supporters as well..... so work that out


The BBC is bias, there's no two ways about it.

........... if it wasn't people wouldn't be complaining about them would they.

Its common sense, I'm not sure why this notion escapes people these days.


By your logic, considering Corbyn supporters hate her as well, the BBC is bias against the left and the right

Einstein aint got nothing on you


The Left complain about everything anyway, that comes as standard.

.......... and I'm not talking about this woman you idiot, I said "BBC" as a whole, man has the cheek to talk to me about Einstein when he can't even comprehend a fkin post written in english ffs.

Fix up man, I don't have time to correct you every post.


Oh I see.... If the right complain about the BBC that is "common sense" because they wouldnt complain for no reason

..... but if the left complain about the BBC they "complain about everything" so it doesnt count

Final nail in your "centrist" coffin

Never seen so much bs come from one person in my life


That's because you don't walk around holding up a mirror?
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23530
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: American Politics

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:13 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Yago wrote:Yeah, victim Vlaming when the president uses his office to advocate hate for 4 years. A real good look.


It's jokes.

Talking about fomenting hate when Donald "there are good people on both sides" Trump is at the helm.

Elite banter.


^
Good example of how the media drives division and hatred.


Yes clearly a media agenda, not like those are Trump's words or anything.
User avatar
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015
 
Posts: 21686
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:01 am

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:07 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Yago wrote:Yeah, victim Vlaming when the president uses his office to advocate hate for 4 years. A real good look.


It's jokes.

Talking about fomenting hate when Donald "there are good people on both sides" Trump is at the helm.

Elite banter.


^
Good example of how the media drives division and hatred.


Yes clearly a media agenda, not like those are Trump's words or anything.


You fell for propaganda.
You are part of the problem.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: American Politics

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:45 am

Here's a big and bold electoral map prediction a few days ahead of the election:

Image

- Biden wins the Presidency primarily by taking back the Rust Belt, with MI and WI comfortably going to the Democrats. He wins PA by a few percentage points but Trump is shown to be in the lead on election night and there's some potential for shenanigans there before all mail-in ballots are counted.

- Regardless of PA's eventual result, Biden is able to hit 270 by taking AZ and NE-2 along with MI/ WI, meaning PA isn't actually required to win him the Electoral College. If the votes are counted here accurately he still ends up winning PA by a greater margin.

- A win in one or more of NC, FL or GA basically confirms on the late hours of November 3rd that Biden will be the next President of the USA. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of those ended up going for Trump, hence them being highlighted in the lightest shade of blue, but I think Biden will take at least one. If I had to bet, I'd say he wins GA and it's the call of that state that all but confirms Biden's victory.

- Trump holds on narrowly in TX, IA and OH, likely within 2-3 percentage points. This confirms TX to be a true purple state and a key target for Democrats in 2024 and beyond.

- NV is the Clinton state Trump comes closest to winning, but still goes to Biden by 4-5 points. Trump wins AK by a similar margin.

- Dems retake the Senate and expand on their House majority, giving them both the Presidency and both houses of Congress.

Obviously there's an absolute ton of uncertainty there—I nearly left FL as a tossup—but I predict a comfortable win for Biden, with him almost certainly taking MI and WI, likely taking PA, AZ, and NE-2, and in an ideal world at least one of NC, GA or FL to confirm victory on election night. If he doesn't take one of those three, then it could will be a closer night for Biden or potentially even a contested election, where it real does boil down to PA just as it did with FL in 2000.
Last edited by Callum on Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36635
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: American Politics

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:52 am

It does look as though Biden is going to win.

If anything this consistent declaration of victory by the Dems could even drop voter turn out for Trump and I'm surprised he hasn't fought it more marketing wise.

I watched a programme recently that said this is a form of voter supression, by advertising that the opposition is going to lose, you actually put off some voter turnout because people can't get motivated if they think they're backing a losing horse.

It is actually true, not for your ardent die hard Republicans, they'll vote no matter what, but a lot of the inbetweeners or people who don't make politics their whole life, they may want Trump to win but if you tell a half hearted voter that Trump is a dead duck then those people will think ........... whats the point in even bothering?

Clever, but it does actually have an effect.

To prove it .......... If I made you believe only 10 people in America are going to vote for Biden, and you even half believed it, would you bother to even vote? you wouldn't if you knew it was completely pointless and that's how the tactic works, its a lot milder than that, its not going to put off millions of people, but it will deter just enough thousands in each state that could actually win an election.
Image
User avatar
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 23530
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am
Location: At the Gucci store

Re: American Politics

Postby Callum » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:57 am

DiamondGooner wrote:It does look as though Biden is going to win.

If anything this consistent declaration of victory by the Dems could even drop voter turn out for Trump and I'm surprised he hasn't fought it more marketing wise.

I watched a programme recently that said this is a form of voter supression, by advertising that the opposition is going to lose, you actually put off some voter turnout because people can't get motivated if they think they're backing a losing horse.

It is actually true, not for your ardent die hard Republicans, they'll vote no matter what, but a lot of the inbetweeners or people who don't make politics their whole life, they may want Trump to win but if you tell a half hearted voter that Trump is a dead duck then those people will think ........... whats the point in even bothering?

Clever, but it does actually have an effect.

Well, it works two ways—if Dems or independents who lean Democratic see that Biden has a decent lead in their state, they may not bother voting because they see it as a clear thing already. There's also been a slew of right-leaning polls this week that have given drastically different polling numbers from partisan pollsters, inflating Trump's performance, so there's lots going on this close to election day.

Turnout for this election will likely be the highest on record, and undecided voters are far less a part of the equation then they were in 2016, so I don't think polling will have much of an impact on either the national or state level.
User avatar
Callum
SE13
SE13
 
Posts: 36635
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 pm
Location: Kieran Tierney's back pocket

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:33 am

Really hard to say who is going to win.
If the polls are correct, clearly Biden is going to win, but there are some wildly different polls floating around.

There will be a lot of legal challenges in all the close States and it may come down to Congress choosing the President. In that scenario the House would choose the President and the Senate would choose the VP.
No matter how bad it gets, at least we don't have to put up with Wenger anymore
User avatar
jayramfootball
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 7081
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:58 pm
Location: Midlands UK

Re: American Politics

Postby Jedi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:It does look as though Biden is going to win.

If anything this consistent declaration of victory by the Dems could even drop voter turn out for Trump and I'm surprised he hasn't fought it more marketing wise.

I watched a programme recently that said this is a form of voter supression, by advertising that the opposition is going to lose, you actually put off some voter turnout because people can't get motivated if they think they're backing a losing horse.

It is actually true, not for your ardent die hard Republicans, they'll vote no matter what, but a lot of the inbetweeners or people who don't make politics their whole life, they may want Trump to win but if you tell a half hearted voter that Trump is a dead duck then those people will think ........... whats the point in even bothering?

Clever, but it does actually have an effect.

To prove it .......... If I made you believe only 10 people in America are going to vote for Biden, and you even half believed it, would you bother to even vote? you wouldn't if you knew it was completely pointless and that's how the tactic works, its a lot milder than that, its not going to put off millions of people, but it will deter just enough thousands in each state that could actually win an election.

Confidence that a candidate is winning can also hurt turnout.

But after the 2016 fiasco nobody will be confident in anything so i doubt it has any bearing on the turnout of either candidate.

And nobody is saying Trump has no chance. 538 put it best:
Remember, Trump has a meaningful chance of winning the election, per our forecast — a little worse than the chances of rolling a 1 on a six-sided die and a little better than the chances that it’s raining in downtown Los Angeles. And remember, it does rain there. (Downtown L.A. has about 36 rainy days per year, or about a 1-in-10 shot of a rainy day.)


It's not likely but it can still happen. And this isn't taking into account the possibility of a contested election favoring Republicans if it's a tight race.
User avatar
Jedi
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp
 
Posts: 6210
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 pm

Re: American Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:25 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Really hard to say who is going to win.
If the polls are correct, clearly Biden is going to win, but there are some wildly different polls floating around.

There will be a lot of legal challenges in all the close States and it may come down to Congress choosing the President. In that scenario the House would choose the President and the Senate would choose the VP.


And in that situation, the Republicans will have control over it. I do think that Biden may win the most votes overall but in some of the key states, I think Trump will win in enough of the battles that matter to take it. I suspect it will eventually go to Congress because Trump has made it pretty clear he has suspicions of wrongdoing and has put out calls for pollwatchers.
User avatar
Royal Gooner
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee
 
Posts: 9237
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron