American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:04 pm

Rockape wrote:If you think the Guardian is more 'balanced'....than any other source, I am sitting here with my jaw on the floor!

The only major unbiased news sources (at least for those publicized in English) are the AP and Reuters. No commentary, just a summation of what happened with relevant quotes when warranted.

Even your BBC is slanted to whichever party is in power. At least over here, we have C-SPAN for TV which falls into the same mold as the AP and Reuters: dry, boring news but just the facts.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Rockape wrote:If you think the Guardian is more 'balanced'....than any other source, I am sitting here with my jaw on the floor!

Sorry I left out "as a kid". I meant to convey news sources in the 60's and 70's.

I agree 100% that the Guardian is a political tool as are many if not most outlets. I still read the Guardian but through a very skeptical filter. Reuters and the AP are nearly as biased but in more subtle ways especially via headlines. Most local newspapers in the US get their national and international stories from these sources and the bias is quite evident especially political stories...which is now everything sadly.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:28 am

LMAO wrote:

The only major unbiased news sources (at least for those publicized in English) are the AP and Reuters. No commentary, just a summation of what happened with relevant quotes when warranted.

Even your BBC is slanted to whichever party is in power. At least over here, we have C-SPAN for TV which falls into the same mold as the AP and Reuters: dry, boring news but just the facts.

Al Jazeera is a surprisingly good source, because most of it's journalists are based outside the western media bubble they tend to report on facts rather than opinions simply because they're not that bothered ... not saying their isn't bias, that's inevitable when you're partly state sponsored (Qatari) and indeed for anyone with a working brain ... but they provide surprisingly good coverage and are now reaching 310m people in 100 countries that makes it the 6th largest news channel in the world ... well worth a look
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:57 am

EliteKiller wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Al Jazeera is a surprisingly good source, because most of it's journalists are based outside the western media bubble they tend to report on facts rather than opinions simply because they're not that bothered ... not saying their isn't bias, that's inevitable when you're partly state sponsored (Qatari) and indeed for anyone with a working brain ... but they provide surprisingly good coverage and are now reaching 310m people in 100 countries that makes it the 6th largest news channel in the world ... well worth a look

Good call. Yes they are biased to an extent but their international coverage is good. I worked with someone who was their Nepal correspondent and she was incredibly knowledgeable and realistic about the reality of our planet. When Egypt detained their journalist in Cairo a few years back they did not hold back in their coverage.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yago » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:17 am

Not sure if right thread but Iran just admitted they ("accidently") shot down the Ukrainian plane.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:19 am

EliteKiller wrote:Looks like Iran are going to accept "accidental" missile hit story ... they've called Boeing in to look at the data ... no doubt some poor conscript has already lost his head ... the West were all in quickly with 'accident' 'mistake' 'error' quotes giving Iran the easy get out ... been told by a guy who is way more informed about this stuff than me that the US, the UK and provably a few more countries would have know this was a missile strike before the missile even got there ... you can't fire a beany gun in Iran without a dozen satellites picking it up.

Giving Iran some time to get their accident story lined up was a smart move ... maybe Trump is learning to keep that huge trap shut ... but probably not

Took them an extra couple of days but Iran now admitting they shot down that passenger plane ... wonder how the Dems will attempt to pin this on Trump? you can bet your arse they will ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yago » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:53 am

No they won't.
Yago

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:55 am

Yago wrote:No they won't.

Oh yes they will .... still panto season right?

“If what is being projected is true, this is yet another example of collateral damage from the actions that have been taken in a provocative way by the president of the United States,” Speier told CNN.

“Innocent civilians are now dead because they were caught in the middle of an unnecessary and unwanted military tit for tat,” Buttigieg tweeted.

“I think this is a very, very unfortunate incident that has affected so many people and so many families, and this is one of these consequences of this escalation and this state of war that we are in,” Gabbard said

and this from the Associated Press “What began with a drone attack on a top Iranian general rippled outward until dozens of Iranian-Canadians, and dozens of Iranian students studying in Canada, were dead.”

Yup - “Blame America First” the new slogan for the left, catchy don't you think
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yago » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 am

I'd call that sketching the situation. None of those are diverting the blame for Iran. And yes, some may, but it certainly won't be a belief shared by the party as a whole. Call me when Pelosi says it.
Yago

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 am

Yago wrote:I'd call that sketching the situation. None of those are diverting the blame for Iran. And yes, some may, but it certainly won't be a belief shared by the party as a whole. Call me when Pelosi says it.

If only the wise heads like Pelosi (although she got herself suckered into impeachment by the squad) still ran the party ... Pelosi gave an excellent statement two days ago, sadly it got buried by the radical wailing of the talking heads who are now the face off the party. You never run down your own country, or it's military, or it's working class - Clinton started the rot with her "Basket of Deplorables" we can expect that huge mistake to still figure prominently in the 2020 campaign even though Hillary is long gone ... you simply can't get away with attacking the silent majority or the fundamentals that they stand for.

Pelosi gets that she's been around the block a few times, not sure this years potential nominees do ...
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Yago » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:18 am

Taking out Soleimani was still a f***ing moronic move. It does not mean taking down this plane isn't 100% on Iran.

And making that comment wasn't smart, but it was very, very true. Clinton would've been a good president. I'd also point out that this silent majority actually isn't a majority. Clinton won the popular vote.

Be that as it may, it has nothing at all to do with this.
1) The people blaming Trump for this are very different from Clinton. They're the hard left/tankie overlap that make defending dictators a hobby as long as they can blame US imperialism. Shitheads like Glenn Greenwald.
2) This has nothing to do with blaming the working class or the military, but only Trump and his admin.
Yago

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 am

Yago wrote:Taking out Soleimani was still a f***ing moronic move. It does not mean taking down this plane isn't 100% on Iran.

And making that comment wasn't smart, but it was very, very true. Clinton would've been a good president. I'd also point out that this silent majority actually isn't a majority. Clinton won the popular vote.

Be that as it may, it has nothing at all to do with this.
1) The people blaming Trump for this are very different from Clinton. They're the hard left/tankie overlap that make defending dictators a hobby as long as they can blame US imperialism. Shitheads like Glenn Greenwald.
2) This has nothing to do with blaming the working class or the military, but only Trump and his admin.

No argument Clinton won the popular vote - but the 'silent majority' are the ones who don't necessarily vote, the ones who couldn't care less about Clinton, Trump or any of this year's Candidates ... the ones who hold strong views and beliefs and only ever stand up when those views are challenged. Not necessarily left or right they might stand for the abolition of slavery, women's' rights, keeping their guns, or big mac and fries ... who knows, but you cross them at your peril.

Taking out Soleimani was a very good move, it puts Iran on the back foot and solidifies the support of all the regions US allies, don't for one second think a show of strength harms your reputation in the Middle East, you couldn't be more wrong. The US in the Middle East has been looking weak for years, this one small action reversed that opinion in a noisy second.

As for shooting down a commercial airliner? how many did the US shoot down after the twin towers? how many did Israel shoot down in the six day war, the fact some scared, trigger happy Iranian managed it has nothing to do with the US ... that's just 1+1=3 it doesn't work. If you make that argument then any atrocity accidentally carried out by any country is excusable if another country had killed one of it's citizens first, is that your position? Don't forget Iran killed a US citizen first ... ergo even by your logic they must still be to blame ...

My opinion doesn't count for a hill of beans, it's the voters that matter and so far every poll I've seen backs Trump ... the Dems would be wise to let this one go.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:51 am

Yago wrote:Taking out Soleimani was still a f***ing moronic move. It does not mean taking down this plane isn't 100% on Iran.

I'd also point out that this silent majority actually isn't a majority. Clinton won the popular vote.

The 'popular vote' nonsense is just a meaningless talking point.
1) No President in modern times has ever recieved the majority of votes from the voting age population. Turnout in 2016 was the lowest for 20 years. People stayed at home because they couldn't stomach either candidate. Clinton won 28% of the eligible voters and Trump 27%. 45% of people didn't bother voting.
2) The US doesn't actually have a National vote - The country is a union of 50 states and has 52 electoral races (or first past the post votes) - 2 States, Maine and Nebraska split their state by region for electoral purposes - in order to determine who becomes President and thus leads the Executive Branch.

As this is a football forum, lets use a football analogy:
2 teams play 10 games.
Team 1 wins 3 games and loses 7. They win their 3 games with a goal difference of +20 and lose their 7 games with a goal difference of -10. GD is +10 overall and they achieve 9 points.
Team 2 wins 7 games and loses 3. They win their 7 games with a goal difference of +10 and lose their 3 games with a goal difference of -20. GD is -10 overall and they achieve 21 points.

Which team did better? Team 2, obviously.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:49 pm

Booker drops out.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm

I'm glad Apple has continued to take a stand against breaking encryption by refusing to implement a backdoor exploit into their devices. Once that cat is out of the bag, no one's privacy will be safe.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate