American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby Jedi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:42 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:It actually doesn't matter who or what the VP is, even Biden ......... because your effectively voting for the DNC, not the faces they put forward to carrale votes.

The election system is a sham.

You do get some guys slip by like Trump, guys who the party would prefer not to win, Bernie Sanders for example.

But you saw exactly how the DNC inserted their own candidates and tried to publically trash their opposition like Sanders, Gabbard etc.

They even had that tw*t millionaire ushered in late in the game just to try to take Bernie down.

The DNC are a joke.

The DNC did not "insert" anyone. Bernie didn't lose because the DNC didn't prefer him to win, he lost because the electorate once again rejected him and opted for the moderate candidate.

Face it, while he does have huge grassroots support and has a very energetic base, Sanders simply isn't popular with the wider American public and lost because he failed to build a broader coalition.

Also it's laughable how you mentioned Bloomberg considering he undoubtedly helped Sanders by splitting the Biden vote before Super Tuesday. But Biden was so strong that even with that he steamrolled Bernie, a very weak candidate.

The only place Bernie will ever win a primary is on a Twitter poll.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:19 pm

Angelito wrote:

Here we go. Round 2.

That'll get thrown out by the courts just like the Obama birther one. It's clear the law is being interpreted by the election officials as either born on American soil with birthright citizenship or born to American parents overseas makes you eligible. The only real way she wouldn't be eligible would be if she was a naturalised citizen like Arnie.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:02 pm

EliteKiller wrote:The whole idea of "the best candidate" is laughable ... there are almost certainly millions of people better qualified to govern a country than Trump, Biden, Pence or Harris ... people with legitimate backgrounds in politics, economics, finance and a dozen other skills a good leader should possess ... but firstly they don't apply for the jobs and secondly they won't have spent years playing in 'the swamp' so as to be nominated by their chums.

When Trump v Biden is the best you can come up with the system isn't just broken it's been smashed into little pieces and then ground into dust ... god help us all

You missed out the money bit.

Nobody gets anywhere near being POTUS without either personal wealth or personal backers to get them there.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:It actually doesn't matter who or what the VP is, even Biden ......... because your effectively voting for the DNC, not the faces they put forward to carrale votes.

You do get some guys slip by like Trump, guys who the party would prefer not to win, Bernie Sanders for example.

But you saw exactly how the DNC inserted their own candidates and tried to publically trash their opposition like Sanders, Gabbard etc.

They even had that tw*t millionaire ushered in late in the game just to try to take Bernie down.

The DNC are a joke.

The DNC did not "insert" anyone. Bernie didn't lose because the DNC didn't prefer him to win, he lost because the electorate once again rejected him and opted for the moderate candidate.

Face it, while he does have huge grassroots support and has a very energetic base, Sanders simply isn't popular with the wider American public and lost because he failed to build a broader coalition.

Also it's laughable how you mentioned Bloomberg considering he undoubtedly helped Sanders by splitting the Biden vote before Super Tuesday. But Biden was so strong that even with that he steamrolled Bernie, a very weak candidate.

The only place Bernie will ever win a primary is on a Twitter poll.

The DNC don't insert anyone no?

That's exactly what they did with Bloomberg because at that time Biden wasn't doing well, his campaign only took off after the first rounds of votes and then all the DNC's favs jumped off the ticket to back Biden.

If you can't see the DNC smearing Gabbard and Bernie every chance they get or attacking them in the media and trying to get their candidates in then there's no helping you whatsoever.

What you stated was one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen.

Hillary Clinton called Gabbard a "Russian asset and a friend of Assad in Syria".

That's not the DNC attacking one of their own Democrat nominees no?

Yes Bernie lost and may not have won regardless, but do you think the DNC's hatchet jobs on him in the press don't have an effect? if they knew he'd lose why didn't they just leave him alone? .......... the truth is they were worried, Bernie was winning votes and they got scared.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:09 pm

Once again, our so called "democracy" has presented us with only 2 horrible options.

And Harris is barely black, she identifies as Indian American, and is someone who sends people to prison for marijuana offenses. If the black community did their homework they would realize she isn't that great of an option, but she has a percentage of African in her, so I guess that matters for some reason. IDK!!

Also, her dad claims to be a direct descendant of an Irish slave owner, so I'm not sure how the cancel culture kids are going to work that one out. Good luck!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:24 pm

Trump blocking funding for the postal service, openly trying to hinder opposition votes

If that happened in Africa we'd call him a despot and send in election observers.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby StLGooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:43 pm

UFGN wrote:Trump blocking funding for the postal service, openly trying to hinder opposition votes

If that happened in Africa we'd call him a despot and send in election observers.

Word is he's trying to bring back the Pony Express. :P
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LMAO » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:17 pm

The DNC are a joke.

Let me get this straight: You're claiming people were incapable for actually voting for their preferred candidate still in the race, and instead, the DNC literally forced people to vote against Sanders?

Trump only slipped by and secured the Republican nomination because Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich were too proud. Had 2/3 dropped out before Super Tuesday, then Trump never becomes the GOP nominee, and it's Cruz, Rubio, or Kasich running against Hillary instead.

The moderate Democrats in 2020 learned from the Republicans' mistake in 2016. If they didn't drop out, we'd likely be looking at a contested convention right now. Instead, the majority of voters coalesced around Biden, and he won going away. The DNC didn't compel Democratic primary voters to fill in the circle next to Biden's (or anyone's) name. You'd have a case if it was a close race, but to insinuate the DNC changed the minds and political leanings of millions of voters is an insult to the voters' intelligence.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 pm

StLGooner wrote:Once again, our so called "democracy" has presented us with only 2 horrible options.

And Harris is barely black, she identifies as Indian American, and is someone who sends people to prison for marijuana offenses. If the black community did their homework they would realize she isn't that great of an option, but she has a percentage of African in her, so I guess that matters for some reason. IDK!!

Also, her dad claims to be a direct descendant of an Irish slave owner, so I'm not sure how the cancel culture kids are going to work that one out. Good luck!

I usually like your posts and think you're level-headed, but there's so much wrong with this bs bOtH sIdEs. Are Joe Biden and Kamala Harris perfect? f**k no, but they're a lot better than the alternative. At least I can say they're not anti-science or anti-democracy.

Harris also identifies as black. She's said multiple times that her Indian mom raised her as a black daughter.

Are you suggesting black people aren't already informed? They—black women especially—might be the most pragmatic of all the racial groups we have in America.

45 people went to state prison during her 7 years as SF DA. And from her first year as California AG, prison sentences for marijuana possession or distribution dropped from over 800 to 130-something. All that happened while non-medical marijuana was illegal in California.

As for slave owner ancestors, black Americans have an average of around 25% of European DNA, and many are descended from slave owners. And as someone who hangs out with black people, you should know the racism/joking that exists within the black community itself ("ha your darkass would've been ploughing the fields while I would've been working in the house" is one), so you might get the dumbass woke white kids—who don't vote anyway so they're irrelevant—crying about it, but black voters aren't going to care about her being descended from a slave owner.

(Harris was one of my favorites back in 2019 before she dropped out and I'm over the moon that Biden picked her as his running mate, so sorry if I came across as sore. Tried to keep it as unemotional as I could.)
Last edited by LMAO on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 pm

LMAO wrote:Let me get this straight: You're claiming people were incapable for actually voting for their preferred candidate still in the race, and instead, the DNC literally forced people to vote against Sanders?

I made it clear in the other post that I didn't say Bernie was going to win, but your also completely discounting media pressure, opposition campaigns, false information, hack jobs.
This is not done for fun LMAO, its done to influence opinion.

........... I mean in this day and age I really shouldn't have to explain that.

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Once again, our so called "democracy" has presented us with only 2 horrible options.

I usually like your posts and think you're level-headed, but there's so much wrong with this bs bOtH sIdEs. Are Joe Biden and Kamala Harris perfect? f**k no, but they're a lot better than the alternative.

LMAO, StLGooner is absolutely right, no matter how you slice it Joe Biden is a shower of sh*t.

The man is literally losing his marbles in front of your nation, he's unfit to be President, literally and is obviously a well funded DNC stooge.

Just because Trump is a clown doesn't mean Biden gets a pass, StL is right, America can and should be doing better.

I like Tulsi Gabbard.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Wild generalisation here but you have 100 senators and 50 state governors.

That's ~150 people straight off the bat, accepting there will be a few anomalies, who could be a candidate to be president.

But here you are with a horrible scumbag Vs a washed up has been.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 pm

On a day when an historical Middle East peace deal was signed, something that has rightly been given headline news around the world, the US Media leads with CDC warning - CNN anchor stunned - Trump election meddling - Russian ''fake' Covid cure - UFO sightings ... no wonder the US population have become such insular, racially divided fools ... fed on a diet of gossip, hatred, and intolerance what else would you expect?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:07 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:The DNC don't insert anyone no?

That's exactly what they did with Bloomberg because at that time Biden wasn't doing well, his campaign only took off after the first rounds of votes and then all the DNC's favs jumped off the ticket to back Biden.

If you can't see the DNC smearing Gabbard and Bernie every chance they get or attacking them in the media and trying to get their candidates in then there's no helping you whatsoever.

Hillary Clinton called Gabbard a "Russian asset and a friend of Assad in Syria".

Yes Bernie lost and may not have won regardless, but do you think the DNC's hatchet jobs on him in the press don't have an effect? if they knew he'd lose why didn't they just leave him alone? .......... the truth is they were worried, Bernie was winning votes and they got scared.

I'm sorry, i forget from time to time that you have the worldview of a literal 10 year old when it comes to politics.

"If they knew he'd lose why didn't they just leave him alone" Loooooooooool
Because they're running a f***ing campaign? Why wouldn't they criticze Bernie? Is everyone supposed to jerk off Bernie like Van Jones and call him amazing and handle him with kid gloves for him to have a "fair chance"? CNN is a moderate, center-left news outlet. Why would they suck off Bernie if they disagree with his politics? They don't want a commie running the country. If you want a more progressive outlet you're welcome to watch one. Let's not forget pro-Bernie media on YouTube and even Bernie staffers constantly attacked Biden calling him senile, creepy... etc... It's a campaign, people are allowed to criticize and attack candidates, even the ones you liked.

Bloomberg did come in when he saw an opportunity (Biden tanking in the polls). But to suggest the DNC instructed him to do so... What did they do, pay him? He's a powerful billionaire, he doesn't need the DNC to dictate his actions. He has more money then everyone in politics combined.

Regardless, him entering the race only ever hurt Biden and increased Bernie's chances. The only reason Bernie ever lead in the polls was because the moderate vote was split between three candidates (Biden, Bloomberg, Buttigieg). He could never consistently break 30% nationally. The moment the other two dropped out the race Biden completely obliterated him.

You're really struggling to make it sound like the DNC conspired to ruin Bernie and somehow subverted democracy. The reality is much simpler. The moderate block is much, much more popular with the American people, and therefore much stronger than the progressive block and that is the the reason they're winning elections. The progressive candidates are not entitled to having their ideas promoted and defended by CNN.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 am

Jedi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:The DNC don't insert anyone no?

I'm sorry, i forget from time to time that you have the worldview of a literal 10 year old when it comes to politics.

"If they knew he'd lose why didn't they just leave him alone" Loooooooooool
Because they're running a f***ing campaign? Why wouldn't they criticze Bernie? Is everyone supposed to jerk off Bernie like Van Jones and call him amazing and handle him with kid gloves for him to have a "fair chance"? CNN is a moderate, center-left news outlet. Why would they suck off Bernie if they disagree with his politics? They don't want a commie running the country. If you want a more progressive outlet you're welcome to watch one. Let's not forget pro-Bernie media on YouTube and even Bernie staffers constantly attacked Biden calling him senile, creepy... etc... It's a campaign, people are allowed to criticize and attack candidates, even the ones you liked.

Bloomberg did come in when he saw an opportunity (Biden tanking in the polls). But to suggest the DNC instructed him to do so... What did they do, pay him? He's a powerful billionaire, he doesn't need the DNC to dictate his actions. He has more money then everyone in politics combined.

Regardless, him entering the race only ever hurt Biden and increased Bernie's chances. The only reason Bernie ever lead in the polls was because the moderate vote was split between three candidates (Biden, Bloomberg, Buttigieg). He could never consistently break 30% nationally. The moment the other two dropped out the race Biden completely obliterated him.

You're really struggling to make it sound like the DNC conspired to ruin Bernie and somehow subverted democracy. The reality is much simpler. The moderate block is much, much more popular with the American people, and therefore much stronger than the progressive block and that is the the reason they're winning elections. The progressive candidates are not entitled to having their ideas promoted and defended by CNN.

Again, another post I literally can't respond to, read what you said and see how many times you've contradicted yourself, its a joke.

The DNC did not want Bernie to win, the DNC works with the lobbiests, the same ones funding their picks which Biden is one of them.

I did not say Bernie lost only because of the DNC, you made that up so I don't need to defend a point I never made.

I said they fed into the campaigns against him, helping influence people against him, that's what campaignings for, or do you think the DNC just sit there and don't do anything when they prefer a candidate over another?

They did the same to Gabbard, Hillary Clinton made entirely unchecked and false slander against her and no one pulled her up on it.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:Let me get this straight: You're claiming people were incapable for actually voting for their preferred candidate still in the race, and instead, the DNC literally forced people to vote against Sanders?

I made it clear in the other post that I didn't say Bernie was going to win, but your also completely discounting media pressure, opposition campaigns, false information, hack jobs.
This is not done for fun LMAO, its done to influence opinion.

........... I mean in this day and age I really shouldn't have to explain that.

I'm just saying we had a huge back and forth with this before regarding Russian interference/disinformation in the 2016 presidential election where you said it wasn't a big deal and didn't change anything, and I said it was one of the major reasons Hillary lost. That was a close race (Trump won by ~77,000 votes), so it's definitely plausible that it worked. But any DNC opposition to Bernie during the 2020 Democratic primaries didn't matter because media pressure, party opposition, sniping at Bernie, whatever you want to call it isn't going to change the minds of millions of voters.

As much as I didn't want Biden because he was so meh, it would be stupid of me to deny he's the candidate voters overwhelming chose, especially when Biden was leading in the polls for most of the race (including a lot of 2019 before any primaries happened) outside of a few weeks for Sanders.

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

I usually like your posts and think you're level-headed, but there's so much wrong with this bs bOtH sIdEs. Are Joe Biden and Kamala Harris perfect? f**k no, but they're a lot better than the alternative.

LMAO, StLGooner is absolutely right, no matter how you slice it Joe Biden is a shower of sh*t.

The man is literally losing his marbles in front of your nation, he's unfit to be President, literally and is obviously a well funded DNC stooge.

Just because Trump is a clown doesn't mean Biden gets a pass, StL is right, America can and should be doing better.

I like Tulsi Gabbard.

I don't have a problem with StL not liking Biden, he has a right to his own preferences just like everyone else. What I did take issue with was the false balance (if you don't think they're equally horrible StL, my bad, and I've just gotten into all this for nothing lol). After seeing Trump f**k shit up by being generally incompetent, it's annoying to continue hearing variations of 'both sides bad' when one side is clearly much worse than the other, such as Biden not being anti-science or anti-democracy like Trump.

And I don't disagree that we shouldn't do better, but Biden and Trump are who we've got for 2020. Unless one of them croaks, that ain't changing, and one of them will be president come noon EST on January 20, 2021, so nut up and compromise like an adult. After this election, focus on 2024 and work toward getting a better candidate for president because that's something that can still change.

As for Gabbard, I can't stand her and am glad she's out of politics.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate