American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby LMAO » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:52 am

StLGooner wrote:The judge and jury are going to feel the pressure in this case. It isn't as cut and dry as people think, but if he isn't charged with murder then all hell is gonna break loose here, and probably in multiple cities across the US. I doubt he even gets a fair trial.

I wasn't alive for the Rodney King riots, but this will top them if Chauvin walks.

a lot of people out of work + little to no unemployment + evictions + social media spreading shit like wildfire = pissed off people with nothing better to do

It's a perfect storm for massive civil unrest.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

If the Police have trained this officer to apply that restraint technique then he may have a good case for defence.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:24 am

Nobody will ever convince me that kneeling on a man's neck is the right thing to do, ever

And bare in mind that I have worked in situations where I used restraint procedures with colleagues, or positive handling as its known, on average maybe 3-4 times a week. You are trained to handle people assertively but safely..... and one thing you never ever do is restrict the airway ffs
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 am

DiamondGooner wrote:^ In America depending on the state there are different levels of murder.

Murder 1, Murder in the 2nd degree and even 3rd.

3rd is almost identical to manslaughter but with a bit more intent / aggression to do harm.

8mins is not manslaughter.

There was enough bold negligence there to be more than accidental.

Manslaughter is like punching someone once and they died, not doing the action repeatedly even after clear distress has been demonstrated.

If Floyd had died after 2mins you could claim manslaughter, warnings were given, pleas were made and the c*nt didn't even look down to see if it was true .......... that is more than manslaughter.

I agree the 8 minutes was excessive and might be the determining factor, but the pleas were way before that... the extended footage, in my view, shows enough for the defence team to argue that it is reasonable that the officers thought that they were being played by someone simply resisting arrest.

Also, the Minneapolis PD specifically trains it's officers to do what Chauvin did - knee to the side of the neck. I am not even convinced that was the cause of hos breathing difficulty, given that Floyd was saying he couldn't breathe prior to being restrained and he had underlying heart conditions. He died of a heart attack because of the restraint according to the autopsy, not because the restraint stopped his ability to breath.

The trial of Chauvin has to be handled very carefully, because as it stands the threat of more violence could easily taint the trial and take away Chauvins right to a fair trial.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Phil71 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:03 am

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:^ In America depending on the state there are different levels of murder.

3rd is almost identical to manslaughter but with a bit more intent / aggression to do harm.

Manslaughter is like punching someone once and they died, not doing the action repeatedly even after clear distress has been demonstrated.

If Floyd had died after 2mins you could claim manslaughter, warnings were given, pleas were made and the c*nt didn't even look down to see if it was true .......... that is more than manslaughter.

I agree the 8 minutes was excessive and might be the determining factor, but the pleas were way before that... the extended footage, in my view, shows enough for the defence team to argue that it is reasonable that the officers thought that they were being played by someone simply resisting arrest.

Also, the Minneapolis PD specifically trains it's officers to do what Chauvin did - knee to the side of the neck. I am not even convinced that was the cause of hos breathing difficulty, given that Floyd was saying he couldn't breathe prior to being restrained and he had underlying heart conditions. He died of a heart attack because of the restraint according to the autopsy, not because the restraint stopped his ability to breath.

The trial of Chauvin has to be handled very carefully, because as it stands the threat of more violence could easily taint the trial and take away Chauvins right to a fair trial.

Years of drug abuse led to his weak heart no doubt.

In my view the use of force is excessive, but as you say, they are trained to do that by their employer.

That's what needs to change.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:04 am

UFGN wrote:Nobody will ever convince me that kneeling on a man's neck is the right thing to do, ever

And bare in mind that I have worked in situations where I used restraint procedures with colleagues, or positive handling as its known, on average maybe 3-4 times a week. You are trained to handle people assertively but safely..... and one thing you never ever do is restrict the airway ffs

I had a look at the training manual that the Minneapolis police use - the airway is not restricted with a knee on the neck as long as it is on the side of the neck...I don't think Floyd died from a lack of air. It looks from the video he was having problems before that and eventually died from a heart attack.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:08 am

Phil71 wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Years of drug abuse led to his weak heart no doubt.

In my view the use of force is excessive, but as you say, they are trained to do that by their employer.

That's what needs to change.

Agree.
I am not sure Chauvin can be found guilty of murder as the result of what he was trained to do, but the whole idea of a knee on the neck for restraint seems excessive. There must be a better way to ensure the safety of the officer when dealing with dangerous situations.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:The judge and jury are going to feel the pressure in this case. It isn't as cut and dry as people think, but if he isn't charged with murder then all hell is gonna break loose here, and probably in multiple cities across the US. I doubt he even gets a fair trial.

I wasn't alive for the Rodney King riots, but this will top them if Chauvin walks.

a lot of people out of work + little to no unemployment + evictions + social media spreading shit like wildfire = pissed off people with nothing better to do

It's a perfect storm for massive civil unrest.

Look what some people did just for a cop shooting someone in Chicago, which sounds like it was justified btw. If he doesn't get murder it's going to be bananas unfortunately.

After watching the body came footage, he definitely deserves something. Manslaughter at the very least. The issue will be if what he was doing directly related to his death and I don't think they'll be able to prove that. I'm sure it's probably a bad combination of his prior health issues, and whatever he was on at the time. It's unfortunate, but that cop had no reason to keep kneeling on his neck like that. Everything else they did was fine imo.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:44 pm

Anyone who thinks kneeling into a mans neck with your body weight with your knee on one side and concrete on the other won't effect both airways and blood supply don't know what the fk their talking about.

People like myself who've trained Ju-Jitsu know how it feels.

Joe Rogan a UFC commentator who's practiced BJJ for years said it would absolutely do all of the above.

As for the "Its a police approved technique" so is shooting a man, or hitting someone with a baton, or tazing someone ............ but your not supposed to extensively use them or even do them to the point where you kill someone.

Hitting someone with a baton is one thing, handcuffing them then smacking them over the head till their skull cracks is another thing entirely and is the example of excessivness that Chauvin did with the knee to the neck.

How can a "restraint technique" be argued when the guy was in hand cuffs, being held down by two other cops and you do it for 8mins even after the guys passed out / died.

No mate, manslaughter at the absolute minimum and I'd argue its more like 3rd degree murder.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 pm

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:25 pm

Biden just won the election
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Yago » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:34 pm

Least surprising pick ever, but for a reason. It just made too much sense not to pick her.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Jedi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 pm

I wanted Warren ffs
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Jedi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:49 pm

What the f**k is this dude doing? Kamala Harris isn't even close to anything resembling the "radical-left" lmao.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:30 pm

Santi wrote:Biden just won the election

With his token black woman.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate