American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: 2016 American Presidential Election

Postby LMAO » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Jeb Bush (R) announced his intention to run yesterday. Donald Trump (R) did so today. I just can't see a strong Republican candidate right now that can challenge Hillary.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:25 pm

Which republican is most likely to win the nomination?
Last edited by UFGN on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Donald Trump you know. :rofll:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:02 am

UFGN wrote:Which republican is most likely to win the nomination?

I honestly have no idea. There are like 5 candidates tied at 10% of party support. But tbh, it doesn't matter: there could be the second coming of Dwight D. Eisenhower, but I don't think he would stop Hillary at this point. The Republican candidate will be there to make up the numbers. With Americans becoming ever more liberal, I can't see the antiquated Republican party getting a candidate voted into the Presidency for the foreseeable future unless it drastically changes its policies to better mirror the times we find ourselves in.

From my experiences, my generation (Millennials) and the majority of my parents' generation (Generation X) believe the Democrats are the modern party and the Republicans are the party of our grandparents/great-grandparents.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 am

Brandon wrote:

I honestly have no idea. There are like 5 candidates tied at 10% of party support. But tbh, it doesn't matter: there could be the second coming of Dwight D. Eisenhower, but I don't think he would stop Hillary at this point. The Republican candidate will be there to make up the numbers. With Americans becoming ever more liberal, I can't see the antiquated Republican party getting a candidate voted into the Presidency for the foreseeable future unless it drastically changes its policies to better mirror the times we find ourselves in.

From my experiences, my generation (Millennials) and the majority of my parents' generation (Generation X) believe the Democrats are the modern party and the Republicans are the party of our grandparents/great-grandparents.

A quick look on wiki suggests that the democratic party haven't had three consecutive presidential terms since the 1840s
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:42 pm

^^ Bout to change though. Would be surprised if anyone other than Hilary Clinton won in 2016.

Then again I was surprised by the British election as well, so maybe learning about politics via reddit isn't the greatest source of information :hiding:
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Callum » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Pudpop wrote:^^ Bout to change though. Would be surprised if anyone other than Hilary Clinton won in 2016.

Then again I was surprised by the British election as well, so maybe learning about politics via reddit isn't the greatest source of information :hiding:

If your political education comes from /r/ukpolitics then you'd think Farage is God.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

UFGN wrote:
Brandon wrote:

A quick look on wiki suggests that the democratic party haven't had three consecutive presidential terms since the 1840s

There's a first time for everything. Records are meant to be broken. Past performance does not equal future success or failure. And all that jazz.

However, the Democrats were the Republicans back then, and the Republicans were the Democrats then. The parties reversed roles to their current leanings sometime between Lincoln and FDR—the Democrats became the party of big government and liberal views while the Republicans became the party of small government and conservative views.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Pudpop » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought that happened because of Republican domination pre-great depression. Democrats took on more liberal views and this helped them win the election after the depression, and since then its been Republicans are conservative and democrats are liberal, for the most part.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Bush vs Clinton II on the way.

Though The Simpsons did predict President Trump.....
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm

We have some absolute clowns trying to run this time.............but then I guess that's nothing new really.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:25 pm

StLGooner wrote:We have some absolute clowns trying to run this time.............but then I guess that's nothing new really.

No it isn't. We still remember seeing Palin and Santorum on TV. Pair of window lickers

UFGN

Postby Zenith » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:26 pm

UFGN wrote:
StLGooner wrote:We have some absolute clowns trying to run this time.............but then I guess that's nothing new really.

No it isn't. We still remember seeing Palin and Santorum on TV. Pair of window lickers

This.

Honorable mention: Mitt Romney
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Zenith wrote:
UFGN wrote:

This.

Honorable mention: Mitt Romney

What's shocking about him is he looks moderate next to the other two.

UFGN

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 pm

UFGN wrote:

Wait until you see this new set of peeps putting their name in the hat. One actually believes in exorcisms, and says he performed one on his friend and that it worked. One believes that natural disasters happen because God is made at the US for allowing gay marriage. You laugh, but I'm f***ing dead serious! It's sad!!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate