American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby UFGN » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Zedie wrote:RIP DG gone but not forgotten.

I can't comment on the level of stupidity here.

RIP but you guys can't even understand what I'm even saying when I spelled it out quite clearly, it was nothing deep, nothing complicated just one statement of truth.

I'll leave you guys to finish circle jerking each other off while you celebrate "putting me to rights". :rolleyes:

Brendan didn't get all the details right but overall I'm afraid he's got your number

On this occasion you first said I'd made a silly comment by bringing up Trumps failure to drain the swamp. It's not a silly comment. It's crucial. Why? Because a lot of people who've backed him or sympathised with his supporters, INCLUDING YOU, have used such reasoning as "people are sick of the elites" etc

Well here we have a billionaire property developer surrounding himself with the same old same old.... including John f***ing Bolton!!!!

It's an important issue. It highlights the scale of his fraud. But no, you dismiss it as a silly comment and double down by saying comments like it annoy you

You then triple down by using, of all things, whataboutism to defend this prick who has been so associated with the tactic that there is can entry for him on the relevant wiki page. (The other entries refer to Soviet era propaganda and the Northern Ireland Troubles)

You f***ked up.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Fked up by saying ...............

"Trump didn't keep his word? news flash what politician ever does?"

Congrats then on a Roman triumph, what a victory, what a fk up on my part for uttering such a comment, I can't find a corner narrow enough to hide the shame on my face.

Can you give me a full paragraph with at least 600 words like LMAO did so I can truly learn my lesson?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 am

"Draining the Swamp" .... an interesting turn of phrase ....

During the election campaign all politicians use such throw-away lines, Trump however made it a big thing ... so what does it mean?

Draining the swamp refers to 'removing the water so the mosquitoes can't thrive' .... it's often used when talking about Washington as indeed much of Washington is built on reclaimed swampland ..... so is this new political speak?

In 2006, newly elected Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi pledged to “drain the swamp” in Congress after 10 years of Republican control. After 9/11, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld committed to “drain the swamp” of terrorism; the phrase was a favorite of Bush administration officials during the ensuing wars they launched in the Middle East. Earlier, in 1983, President Reagan described his chief mission as “draining the swamp” of big government.

so in political terms I guess draining the swamp means removing the environment that allows certain behaviors - lobbying, backhanders, double-standards, pocket filling, etc. - to take place ....

Has Trump achieved this? .... it would be impossible to claim that he has .... but has his presidency shone a light on 'the swamp'? ... The answer to that is probably yes.

If you wrote a stupid comment in your schoolwork as a teenager, forget any political or judicial career, if you made a daft post on facebook/twitter forget any political or judicial career, if you ever innocently spoke to a foreign agent at a bar/club/function then forget any political or judicial career ....

So the 'environment' or the 'swamp' is certainly under more focus ..... not drained, not even lowered but under attack ....

Is this a good thing? the trial by media for any future leaders of the USA? I'm not so sure, some of the World's greatest leaders had very dubious histories - Abe Lincoln, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Mandela, none would pass the 'media test' and none would have any chance of even getting on the ballot today ....

So has Trump drained the swamp? nope .... has the 'swamp' come under more scrutiny than ever before? yes .... is that necessarily a good thing?

Last time round the only two people left to stand for the biggest job on the planet were Trump and Clinton that's a disaster, when neither party has a hope in hell of getting a 'proper' candidate to stand in 2020 then the answer to 'trial by media' being a good thing is probably no ..... nobody can survive 'trial by media' not even Mother Teresa, when you end up with a 'crook' or an'egotist' as your only options something has gone wrong .... but the media genie is out of the bottle and we're never putting it back .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:50 am

EliteKiller wrote:If you wrote a stupid comment in your schoolwork as a teenager, forget any political or judicial career, if you made a daft post on facebook/twitter forget any political or judicial career, if you ever innocently spoke to a foreign agent at a bar/club/function then forget any political or judicial career ....

Idk about other people, but idgaf about this part. Everyone has made a stupid comment or two and/or done foolish things in their youth, so whatever someone said/did before 25, I couldn't care less about. Ultimately, as long as the person has changed, then it's gravy.

For example, say Bubba from Alabama was in the KKK during his youth and fought for segregation back in the '50-'60s, but now has biracial grandchildren and great-grandchildren whom he loves dearly and actively volunteers for a racial unity organization. Yes, his previous views are deplorable, but should his past views be held against him now after proving he's grown and changed?

Politicians—and all public figures for that matter—should be held accountable for their actions, but it should also be within reason.

And that's how the media should conduct its business imo: If the candidate or politician has changed their ways and repented, then move on to more important topics. Yes, definitely focus on the corruption in the here and now (and in the past if it hasn't been rectified), but don't bring up John Smith doing an Asian eye gesture during his college days if he's obviously changed since then or Jane Doe unwittingly sharing an airport van with an Iranian ambassador's personal secretary.

But ultimately, the swamp won't begin to be drained until Citizens United is overturned, and even then, shady people will try to find their way into all levels of government.

nobody can survive 'trial by media' not even Mother Teresa

tbf she was a c*** though. Refused to give people proper medical care, yet had the audacity to be doped up on morphine on her deathbed.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I'm seeing lots of Trump supporters starting to realize they were wrong. Even had a super conservative uncle announce that he no longer supports Trump on Facebook. Fair play to him.

He'll probably still win re-election as the Democrats don't appear to have anyone who could seriously challenge him. The only way I can see that Trump would lose would be if the Democrats picked The Rock as their candidate. It would work as he's charismatic, likable, the right skin colour to get back all those Obama voters and he's from Florida so he'll have that state locked down and without Florida, Trump will fall.

I like this.

Trump could then accuse the Rock of being born in Uganda.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
StLGooner wrote:I'm seeing lots of Trump supporters starting to realize they were wrong. Even had a super conservative uncle announce that he no longer supports Trump on Facebook. Fair play to him.

He'll probably still win re-election as the Democrats don't appear to have anyone who could seriously challenge him. The only way I can see that Trump would lose would be if the Democrats picked The Rock as their candidate. It would work as he's charismatic, likable, the right skin colour to get back all those Obama voters and he's from Florida so he'll have that state locked down and without Florida, Trump will fall.

I like this.

After Trump, and now other celebrities seriously talking about running for President, it kind of makes me wonder if this will be the norm in the future. We had Ronald Regan in the 80's (who CR7 is named after btw), who was previously an actor, but none other since then before Trump came. Wonder if career politicians should be worried.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:16 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

I like this.

After Trump, and now other celebrities seriously talking about running for President, it kind of makes me wonder if this will be the norm in the future. We had Ronald Regan in the 80's (who CR7 is named after btw), who was previously an actor, but none other since then before Trump came. Wonder if career politicians should be worried.

I don't like the trend.

When Hollywood and the media were cheering Oprah for 2020, I just wondered whether these people really understand that you need to be a strategist and a competent politician to run a country. It's all cool for celebrities stepping in for charitable causes, but they're not qualified for the job. And Trump, for sure in hell, was not qualified. He's only qualified to inherit a fortune from his father. You don't repeat the same mistakes.

These days, thanks to social media—or the alleged Age of Information—politics has become ubiquitous. It's everywhere. We, as a community, really do need to draw the line and leave politics to people who have dedicated their lives to it, rightly or wrongly.

I could go out there and charge a crowd with electricity with my dazzling speech - with my views and philosophy. But that doesn't mean I'd make a good mayor, minister, senator, or a governor.

Equally important to a country's political health is the civil society. That's another avenue to put pressure on the government and raise issues. Running for president shouldn't be relegated to a mere popularity contest, although - in some ways, it does feel that it's always about who's more popular.

Nonetheless, this trend only signifies that shift to populism. Tomorrow, any Tom, Dick, or Harry could come and whoever was more popular, catered to mass sentiments—even if s/he doesn't mean it—and had more money would end up winning it.

America's two-party system in itself is ridiculous if you think about it.

Hypothetically, if a third major party existed in 2016 and, say for example, it was Bernie vs Trump vs Hillary; there's no way Trump would have won the electoral college votes.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Angelito wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

I like this.

I don't like the trend.

When Hollywood and the media were cheering Oprah for 2020, I just wondered whether these people really understand that you need to be a strategist and a competent politician to run a country. It's all cool for celebrities stepping in for charitable causes, but they're not qualified for the job. And Trump, for sure in hell, was not qualified. He's only qualified to inherit a fortune from his father. You don't repeat the same mistakes.

These days, thanks to social media—or the alleged Age of Information—politics has become ubiquitous. It's everywhere. We, as a community, really do need to draw the line and leave politics to people who have dedicated their lives to it, rightly or wrongly.

I could go out there and charge a crowd with electricity with my dazzling speech - with my views and philosophy. But that doesn't mean I'd make a good mayor, minister, senator, or a governor.

Equally important to a country's political health is the civil society. That's another avenue to put pressure on the government and raise issues. Running for president shouldn't be relegated to a mere popularity contest, although - in some ways, it does feel that it's always about who's more popular.

Nonetheless, this trend only signifies that shift to populism. Tomorrow, any Tom, Dick, or Harry could come and whoever was more popular, catered to mass sentiments—even if s/he doesn't mean it—and had more money would end up winning it.

Hypothetically, if a third major party existed in 2016 and, say for example, it was Bernie vs Trump vs Hillary; there's no way Trump would have won the electoral college votes.

Its the age we live in.

You don't need to be qualified or capable you need to be able to skate your way through the online Twitterati and be generally popular.

I see another one bit the dust with James Gunn the Director of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy being fired for his ridiculous Tweets.

I like James Gunn and his films but when I saw those Tweets I thought who the fk puts stuff like that out there for the world to see and record? idiocy of that level deserves to be punished.

When I first heard it I was like "What, there goes Disney being overly stuffy again" then I saw the tweets and was like "Oh ........ urhhm, yeahhh, probably best for everyone"
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Angelito wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

I like this.

I don't like the trend.

Yep, agree on everything.

I'm sure there may be a few celebrities out there that could make good politicians someday, but let the politicians be politicians. Everyone these days is a keyboard politician, thinking they know whats best for the country/world. Myself included.

And yes it definitely is in every sense of the meaning, a popularity contest. Who can get the richest friends to finance their campaign. It's all about who you know and how much you can get from them to create your popularity. Then as you say, the two party system is flawed, the electoral system is flawed. Our whole political system is antiquated. I think everyone knows this, but nobody does anything about it cause they know they could possibly get elected due to many of those flaws, and then even re-elected. We have an illusion of choice here, an illusion of democracy and freedom. And all the sheep just keep drinking the Kool-Aid! :BangHead:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

I like this.

Technically he's Samoan (American Samoan!)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Zedie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:22 am

So not American if you go by trumps definition of Puerto Ricans...
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:35 am

Zedie wrote:So not American if you go by trumps definition of Puerto Ricans...

Well that's where his grandfather's from, he's born in California (so again, maybe not considered American by Trump!)
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

I like this.

Technically he's Samoan (American Samoan!)

No. Acc to Trump, the Rock is definitely from Ugandiana.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 am

Frankie Boyle on Trump:

"He looks like someone playing the US President in a porno"
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 am

oh f**k off - thanks for that mental image lol

Gonna have to look at images of puppies now.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate