American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby Phil71 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Looks like Biden is gonna be the Democrat candidate.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:45 pm

So Democrats nominate someone whose key policy position is 'decency', despite firsthand experience of Republican obstruction in Congress and Senate.

Running against a Republican incumbent who despite needing memos to have pictures to go with the words, has already appointed 2 supreme court judges and clearly has plans to replace Ginsberg when she croaks.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 pm

Not over yet.

2016 Democratic primary by pledged delegates:
Gold = Clinton
Green = Sanders
Gray = Tie

2020 by pledged delegates (so far):
Blue = Biden
Green = Sanders
Yellow = Buttigieg
Purple = Bloomberg

Bernie lost Minnesota and Oklahoma, split New Hampshire and Maine, but won California and Nevada this time around.

2016 Democratic primary by popular vote:

2020 by popular vote (so far):

Bernie lost Maine, Minnesota, and Oklahoma, but won California, Iowa, and Nevada this time around.

For Bernie to have a shot at the convention, he's going to need to hold Michigan and Wisconsin, and flip Illinois, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Yeah...say hello to Democratic nominee Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Biden and his declining mental faculty will probably shoot himself in the foot between now and March 15th inclusive (next debate), but idk if it'll be enough to sink him unless Bernie really hammers Biden's record home (especially about his history of advocating for cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid).
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:50 pm

If Bernie gets shafted which is currently in full swing with EVERY Dem getting behind Biden then I'd rather Trump win again, for the lolz tbf.

I mean why not? wtf is Biden going to do for the people, same old same old, nothing!

Shooting in schools will continue due to lacks gun control, people will still be not covered by Universal medical help, debt will still rise in every sector.

So if they want to shaft Bernie (again), then fk the Dems, I honestly have no interest in another plain jane Dem.

Why? because the Dems are the biggest hypocrites of all, Wolf in Sheeps clothing.

They suck up to the poor, suck up to the minorities but deliver sweet fk all, at least the Republicans are more straight forward about what they're going to give you and what they stand for.

Rather see Trump troll the establishement for another 4 years and leave corporate Dems out in the cold .......... which they seem happy to do to keep control of their party.

Dems are literally good for nothing if they're not going to have a change mentality.

Voting for Dems to "Just get Trump out" is not good enough imo, it just props up the waste of space politics their offering.

This is why I'm glad Brexit happened, our politicians took us for granted for many years especially in the David Cameron era and they didn't just get a black eye, they got their jaw broken.

So again I'm neither here nor there on leaving the EU, I'm just proud our democracy still actually works.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:14 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:If Bernie gets shafted which is currently in full swing with EVERY Dem getting behind Biden then I'd rather Trump win again, for the lolz tbf.

I mean why not? wtf is Biden going to do for the people, same old same old, nothing!

Shooting in schools will continue due to lacks gun control, people will still be not covered by Universal medical help, debt will still rise in every sector.

So if they want to shaft Bernie (again), then fk the Dems, I honestly have no interest in another plain jane Dem.

Why? because the Dems are the biggest hypocrites of all, Wolf in Sheeps clothing.

They suck up to the poor, suck up to the minorities but deliver sweet fk all, at least the Republicans are more straight forward about what they're going to give you and what they stand for.

Rather see Trump troll the establishement for another 4 years and leave corporate Dems out in the cold .......... which they seem happy to do to keep control of their party.

Dems are literally good for nothing if they're not going to have a change mentality.

Voting for Dems to "Just get Trump out" is not good enough imo, it just props up the waste of space politics their offering.

This is why I'm glad Brexit happened, our politicians took us for granted for many years especially in the David Cameron era and they didn't just get a black eye, they got their jaw broken.

So again I'm neither here nor there on leaving the EU, I'm just proud our democracy still actually works.

What is amazing to me is how intransigent many on the left are towards Trump given he does what he says and gets things done despite having the press against him 95% of the time (and being proven wrong time and time again), all of the miss quotes that are always taken at face value and become urban mythology. I mean that takes actually fooling yourself to not even be mature and responsible enough to be able to evaluate and understand policy...fully understanding that they are pretty f***ing close to what the Dems were pushing just a few years ago under Obama except that Trump is actually solving issues. That comes with being closed minded and treating politics like a sport, and to be clear people on both sides tend to fall into that trap and it really befuddles me.

Then we have the issue of all the lies, demonetization and corruption that emanated from the Clinton/Obama wing of the party in regards to Russia, spying on Americans, weaponizing the IRS and FBI, tapping foreign "intel" sources during an election and actually paying for that nine millions dollar dossier that was utterly false. Bernie Bros have to see that the same forces are aligned against them and using the exact same play book as they tried with Trump, yet they will presumably back Biden simply because he is running another vacant anti Trump campaign. Yes DG you are right about the fact that they have no agenda to offer. I see all of these young liberals on TV being interviewed and their only care is to beat Trump be it Bernie or some old corrupt idiot like Biden who last night introduced his sister as his wife. Hardly the right way to run a democracy much less a country.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 pm

aniym wrote:So Democrats nominate someone whose key policy position is 'decency', despite firsthand experience of Republican obstruction in Congress and Senate.

Running against a Republican incumbent who despite needing memos to have pictures to go with the words, has already appointed 2 supreme court judges and [b]clearly has plans to replace Ginsberg when she croaks[/b].

This nonsense of claiming a guy like Trump is a dumbshit is really quite intellectually lazy just as many of the claims about Obama by the far right were as well. Trump is not exactly articulate, but if he is as stupid as you might think then he sure is a lucky SOB as he seems to win on a very consistent basis.

Obstruction...that is pretty much the role of any party not power. WTF do you think the "resistance" of the past 3 1/2 years was about?

Clearly has plans to replace Ginsberg when she croaks

You think???!!!!! Don't tell anyone! :lipssealed:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yago » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:50 am

couple things

1) Yes, this primary is done.
2) Nothing "being shafted", or rigged here. Endorsements are very normal in elections.
3) It turns out that constantly antagonising your own party is maybe not the greatest idea when you want to be the leader of that party. Bernie's whole strategy was to coast to the convention with his base of 30% in a crowded field. That sounds good until people drop out/ support coalesces behind a candidate. He needed to try to appeal to voters beyond his own loyal base. He didn't.
4) This looks very good for Biden's GE chances. Bernie is ofc still strong with the youth vote, but the youth vote is down/even compared to 2016. Turnout as a whole increased massively, though. Not among the white working class Trump voters Bernie said he'd appeal to, but among the same voters that brought democrats 40+ house seats in 2018: middle class voters from the suburbs, especially women. Another strong sign for Biden is that he is actually beating Bernie among working class/ non college educated voters - a strong contrast with Hillary in the 2016 race. Bernie's only strong bases left are latino voters and voters in very progressive areas (+ young people, but as mentioned, they didn't turn up). Which is also why this primary is over. Biden has big appeal in the rust belt, and Sanders is not looking like he'll win any of the remaining big haul states.

In summary, Biden looking good. He pierced the myth of Sanders "revolution", and had a very big surge of voters turning out for him. He wouldn't have been my pick (Warren :/), but he's looking good against Trump and as long as he gets the senate, that would still be a very good result.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby LMAO » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:05 am

The Warren campaign is reassessing. I hope she drops out so we stop the vote splitting between progressives and moderates.

Meanwhile, it is the heat death of the universe and Tulsi Gabbard is still running for the 2020 Democratic nomination with her single delegate :rofll:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 am

LMAO wrote:The Warren campaign is reassessing. I hope she drops out so we stop the vote splitting between progressives and moderates.

Meanwhile, it is the heat death of the universe and Tulsi Gabbard is still running for the 2020 Democratic nomination with her single delegate :rofll:

You never know, still states to grab. I always do wonder why people drop out after not winning the first or second primary? If you seriously want to be President, you shouldn't be dropping out after a little bloody nose. You should keep going, especially if there's 40+ states on offer. Likewise, I don't get why the South Bender Mayor gave up when he had already won states.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:23 pm

Pocahontas is out. She'd never have won anyway, she was always tainted by those Trump jibes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51759386
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:54 pm

Yago wrote:couple things

2) Nothing "being shafted", or rigged here. Endorsements are very normal in elections.
3) It turns out that constantly antagonising your own party is maybe not the greatest idea when you want to be the leader of that party. Bernie's whole strategy was to coast to the convention with his base of 30% in a crowded field. That sounds good until people drop out/ support coalesces behind a candidate. He needed to try to appeal to voters beyond his own loyal base. He didn't.
4) This looks very good for Biden's GE chances. Bernie is ofc still strong with the youth vote, but the youth vote is down/even compared to 2016. Turnout as a whole increased massively, though. Not among the white working class Trump voters Bernie said he'd appeal to, but among the same voters that brought democrats 40+ house seats in 2018: middle class voters from the suburbs, especially women. Another strong sign for Biden is that he is actually beating Bernie among working class/ non college educated voters - a strong contrast with Hillary in the 2016 race. Bernie's only strong bases left are latino voters and voters in very progressive areas (+ young people, but as mentioned, they didn't turn up). Which is also why this primary is over. Biden has big appeal in the rust belt, and Sanders is not looking like he'll win any of the remaining big haul states.

In summary, Biden looking good. He pierced the myth of Sanders "revolution", and had a very big surge of voters turning out for him. He wouldn't have been my pick (Warren :/), but he's looking good against Trump and as long as he gets the senate, that would still be a very good result.

The nomination system within the DNC and party is not only rigged but controlled through the Superdelegate system which is a backstop in case the voters cross the party elites. The DNC also dictates the media coverage and spin through daily or even hourly talking point memos. This is why if you channel surf all of the news channels the exact same verbiage is used by pundits.

Does anyone really know what Biden's policies are? So far it is only beat Trump and expand Obamacare, along with the obligatory open borders and provide illegal immigrants with free healthcare.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:05 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:The Warren campaign is reassessing. I hope she drops out so we stop the vote splitting between progressives and moderates.

You never know, still states to grab. I always do wonder why people drop out after not winning the first or second primary? If you seriously want to be President, you shouldn't be dropping out after a little bloody nose. You should keep going, especially if there's 40+ states on offer. Likewise, I don't get why the South Bender Mayor gave up when he had already won states.

In this case it was pressure from the 'man" as in the DNC. Remember that the DNC is still run by and its finances controlled by Hillary/Obama installed people and Sanders threatened not just the power base but a whole economic system within DC. Trump poses the same threat to the established GOP power brokers.

Likewise, I don't get why the South Bender Mayor gave up when he had already won states.

Naughty.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:Pocahontas is out. She'd never have won anyway, she was always tainted by those Trump jibes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51759386

Cunsters last stand as it were.

Now the question is who does she support.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yago » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

The nomination system within the DNC and party is not only rigged but controlled through the Superdelegate system which is a backstop in case the voters cross the party elites. The DNC also dictates the media coverage and spin through daily or even hourly talking point memos. This is why if you channel surf all of the news channels the exact same verbiage is used by pundits.

Does anyone really know what Biden's policies are? So far it is only beat Trump and expand Obamacare, along with the obligatory open borders and provide illegal immigrants with free healthcare.

There we go again with your conspiracy shit. Tiresome.

And Bernie basically wrote the rules of the primary this time.
Yago

Postby LMAO » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 pm

Yago wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

There we go again with your conspiracy shit. Tiresome.

And Bernie basically wrote the rules of the primary this time.

This. The reason superdelegates aren't on the first ballot is precisely down to Bernie pushing for that change after 2016.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate