American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:57 pm

UFGN wrote:Bill Clinton was a widely popular president, yet he was impeached for lying about getting a blowie. He was heavily criticised at the time, rightly, for using his power to garner sexual favours from a low-powered assistant. It arguably defined his presidency.

Trump on the other hand has bragged about such behaviour. Bragged about it with no shame. If Trump was impeached for what Clinton was impeached for, imagine the indignation from his supporters...... not for him the high standards expected of a president.

So spare me the witch-hunt bollocks. Trump is a disgrace and this is the very least he deserves.

What kind of comparison is this?

It's not an impeachable offense to lie about getting a BJ or brag about it. What are you talking about????

Bill Clinton was impeached for lying under oath

Now, he should never have been hauled in front of Congress in the first place. I do not believe that was a proper use of their powers. But, when you get a bunch of hateful, spiteful (and frankly, power drunk crazies) in Congress that is what happens. Then it was the Republicans. Now it is the Democrats - they seem to be even worse. The impeachment standard is so low now that whoever controls the House and Senate effectively controls the President - totally at odds with separation of power amongst the 3 branches.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Rockape » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:09 pm

The impeachment standard is so low

I don't think inciting people to violent insurrection is a low standard for impeachment. The whole world has viewed those events open mouthed and now the Democrats have to pick up the pieces. Trump has been entertaining to us Brits for a while, but this latest bit of behavior is beyond incredible.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Rockape wrote:

I don't think inciting people to violent insurrection is a low standard for impeachment. The whole world has viewed those events open mouthed and now the Democrats have to pick up the pieces. Trump has been entertaining to us Brits for a while, but this latest bit of behavior is beyond incredible.

When did that happen?
Can you point to specifics?
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Phil71 wrote:You'd think with everything going on like COVID, a struggling economy and the impending inauguration of a new President, Pelosi and her cohorts would have put their childish persecution of Trump aside and focused on those things.

Instead they're just throwing fuel on the fire and continuing the division and unrest.

Uh, Pelosi and the House Democrats passed a massive $3 trillion COVID relief bill in May that McConnell refused to take up or even negotiate on in the Senate until the last minute, and even then, that was a severely neutered $900 billion bill. And now that Democrats will also control the Senate, we'll start to see movement instead of McConnell's obstructionism.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Rockape wrote:

Except he didn't order people to storm the building. All he said was march down there to make their voices heard and used the term "peacefully" in his speech, a clip most media outlets omit.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:52 pm

LMAO wrote:
Phil71 wrote:You'd think with everything going on like COVID, a struggling economy and the impending inauguration of a new President, Pelosi and her cohorts would have put their childish persecution of Trump aside and focused on those things.

Instead they're just throwing fuel on the fire and continuing the division and unrest.

Uh, Pelosi and the House Democrats passed a massive $3 trillion COVID relief bill in May that McConnell refused to take up or even negotiate on in the Senate until the last minute, and even then, that was a severely neutered $900 billion bill. And now that Democrats will also control the Senate, we'll start to see movement instead of McConnell's obstructionism.

Lol, more gaslighting.
Democrats continually tried to stuff all sorts of unrelated crap into the relief bills - that could never be passed.
Then they pretend it's someone else's fault for the slow down.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:01 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Except he didn't order people to storm the building. All he said was march down there to make their voices heard and used the term "peacefully" in his speech, a clip most media outlets omit.

Prosecutors are likely going to go all the way back to Trump's "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by" comment from his first debate with Biden.

And at the January 6 rally, Trump also said:
-"If you don’t fight like Hell, you’re not going to have a country any more."
-"When you catch somebody in a fraud, you’re allowed to go by very different rules."
-"You’ll never take back our country with weakness."
which is a little harder to defend.

All the prosecutors need is a few of the insurrectionists saying they did what they did because of Trump, but ultimately, it's up to the prosecutors to make the case.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 pm

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Prosecutors are likely going to go all the way back to Trump's "Proud Boys, stand back and stand by" comment from his first debate with Biden.

-"When you catch somebody in a fraud, you’re allowed to go by very different rules."

All the prosecutors need is a few of the insurrectionists saying they did what they did because of Trump, but ultimately, it's up to the prosecutors to make the case.

Wow - an insight into the mind of a radical. Accuse, impeach and then parse language to fit the narrative, then find some people to say "i did it because of him".

Crazy times we live in when this is the process and case for impeaching a President. You could likely make a case on those criteria to go after anyone you wanted... but then , that's the point, I guess.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

None of which actually call for, endorse or encourage the attack on Congress.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:24 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Wow - an insight into the mind of a radical. Accuse, impeach and then parse language to fit the narrative, then find some people to say "i did it because of him".

Crazy times we live in when this is the process and case for impeaching a President. You could likely make a case on those criteria to go after anyone you wanted... but then , that's the point, I guess.

Not surprised to read this from a terrorist sympathizer.

So even if the insurrectionists believed they got the green light from Trump, that still doesn't matter to you?

Also, stop being so obsessed with me. It's getting weird with you following me around this topic like a lost puppy and especially more so when you keep getting your replies wrong.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Doesn't matter these days.
I am actually surprised anyone would have the nerve to post that as a case.
I would at least think these people would have the common decency to not try and justify an obvious political impeachment (again) with that kind of BS, although I guess they have to tell themselves some kind of story.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby LMAO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

As I said, that's up to the prosecutors. If they can make the case that it did encourage imminent violence, then Trump will be convicted. If not, then he'll be found not guilty.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:28 pm

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

As I said, that's up to the prosecutors. If they can make the case that it did encourage imminent violence, then Trump will be convicted. If not, then he'll be found not guilty.

Unlikely. They need 2/3 and Republicans still control half the seats.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:29 pm

LMAO wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

Not surprised to read this from a terrorist sympathizer.

So even if the insurrectionists believed they got the green light from Trump, that still doesn't matter to you?

Also, stop being so obsessed with me. It's getting weird with you following me around this topic like a lost puppy and especially more so when you keep getting your replies wrong.

You keep posting radical BS.
Terrorist sympathiser - see - we're discussing your BS case justification against Trump and when your case is challenged for the nonsense that it is - you slip into the radical BS again.

..and no, someone saying 'he made me do it' does not in any way justify a case against a 3rd party... at least not in the eyes of any normal human being.

Can you even see straight through your haze of ideology?

The precedent that has been set here is a disaster.
All it takes now is for any statement not 'cookies and cream'.. anything controversial at all... and all one would need to do to get a President impeached is organise a riot and claim the President's words influenced them.

It's a nonsense...and only flies with radicals. Don't try and push that radicalism onto the rest of us.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 pm

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:
Rockape wrote:

That's not how the law works - "I did it because the voices told me to" - is neither a defence or proof that the voices are guilty - the bible tells you "And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman" but the church isn't guilty of incitement even when a religious nut-job goes postal ... there are hundreds of other examples both Democrat and Republican where followers have been called to the streets, yet zero incidents of previous impeachments ... why is that?

Whilst this may stand up as a political show trial legally it's a joke ... Trump's actions don't come even close to reaching the legal threshold of proof, the he did, or intended to, cause a riot ... it's pure politics and nothing more.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate