American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby Rockape » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm

This political thread is so polite.....nothing like the UK one. Is this what politics is like in the States....all friendly and respectful?
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:31 pm

Has anyone else noticed that over time, the Republican leaders have become incrementally horrible?

Who wouldn't have Dubya back now? Id snap your hand off for the chance!

Romney a few years ago was a laughing stock, now he looks like the adult in the room

Trump is fuckin awful but who would be next up if he had been impeached? Mike actual f***ing Pence :shock:

It just gets worse and worse
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:39 pm

UFGN wrote:Has anyone else noticed that over time, the Republican leaders have become incrementally horrible?

Romney a few years ago was a laughing stock, now he looks like the adult in the room

Trump is fuckin awful but who would be next up if he had been impeached? Mike actual f***ing Pence :shock:

Not really.
Much of the pure hatred and vitriol I see is in the Democrat party. Their faces are even contorted with rage and hate most of time.
Their behaviour over the last 4 years has been utterly disgusting.
It does get worse and worse - but mainly for leftist kooks.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:49 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
UFGN wrote:Has anyone else noticed that over time, the Republican leaders have become incrementally horrible?

Not really.
Much of the pure hatred and vitriol I see is in the Democrat party. Their faces are even contorted with rage and hate most of time.

But what policies are they angry about? What behavior is making them so angry? You have a president who tweets like a teenage girl, advocated imprisoning their candidate, and as far as I can see, undid Obamas health reforms simply out of spite. And a lot more besides.

I think Id be angry if I were them
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:00 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Not really.

But what policies are they angry about? What behavior is making them so angry? You have a president who tweets like a teenage girl

Not really. Some of his posts are quite funny, others plain weird, others plain wrong. He's more of a troll, really.
If that makes you angry, then it's really your problem.
As for policies, from what I can see he's implementing policies he ran on, which might make political opponents angry, but so what?

, advocated imprisoning their candidate,

Which one? I assume you are talking about Clinton? She did break the law. Biden? Advocating for the implementation of law is the President's job, no? He is the top law enforcement official in the land. I'd actually like it if he ordered his DoJ to investigate every single member of Congress - Democrat and Republican. It would not surprise me to find that most of them are corrupt.
Also, it's a little off to raise this as an issue considering multiple Democrats, including senior leaders, have advocated for Trump and members of his family to be jailed. What's the score here - get angry only when someone on the other side of the argument says something? Too much of a double standard there.

and as far as I can see, undid Obamas health reforms simply out of spite. And a lot more besides.

I'd say that the people who voted for Trump don't like Obama's policies, so undoing them seems like serving the people who elected him. I do agree he probably gets a lot of pleasure out of it and he's too focused on hisown base - but it's quite hard to do anything for people who utterly despise you and want you destroyed.

I get it, but that anger in the Democrat party has led them down a really bad path where they focus entirely on attacking and completely ignore any work for the actual people they represent. From what I can see about Trump, he rarely initiates a fight, but is happy to get involved in one. Perhaps the best approach is to be a bit more civil and objective and for the Democrats to work with him. For example of infrastructure. The toxic atmosphere in American politics (and society) seems to be being driven by Democrats unable to control their hatred and rage.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:10 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Not really.

But what policies are they angry about? What behavior is making them so angry? You have a president who tweets like a teenage girl, advocated imprisoning their candidate, and as far as I can see, undid Obamas health reforms simply out of spite. And a lot more besides.

Firstly they were angry that Trump actually won. Then they were angry when he started implementing the policies he was voted in on, that he is installing constitutional minded judges. They became even more angry when it became clear he is going to win again will have two more SC picks plus a couple hundred more Federal judges. And no, Obamacare was not repealed thanks to McCain...who did act out of spite. The only thing changed is that the individual mandate/fine was ruled to be unconstitutional. Trump was elected to great extent because of Obamacare which has been devastating to the premiums of working voters and employers, and that America does not want a NHS nightmare here.

Hillary Clinton is much more than a political rival. She is demonstrably corrupt, she paid for the Steele nonsense which was indeed foreign interference, Her foundation stole millions from citizens in places like Haiti and Nigeria through corrupt dealings with corrupt leaders. (Ever get the memo about her brother and Haitian gold mining?) She commited specific crimes by deleting her emails, by using unsecured communications and multiple unsecure devices for conducting government business. You can condone such corruption but it pretty much undercuts all of your morality preening efforts.

As for the "a lot" more...dare to expand on that? That would include an annual $5000 more in the accounts of the average worker in the past two years after a decade plus of stagnant wages, more jobs than can be filled currently, university grads getting great job offers rather than moving back in with dad. The stock market at historic highs week after week which greatly helps all of us especially those with pension plans and 401k and IRA retirements. 78% of Americans believe the economy is the best in decades which it is, minorities are becoming Trump voters, the NEED for welfare is down by something like 30 million households which is massive for many reasons. Illegal immigration is down 68%. Twenty odd terror leaders killed, ISIS caliphate gone along with the weekly beheadings of journalists and hostages. Trade deals getting done, NAFTA finally replaced. No new wars. No civil rights reversed, rather rights have been restored via prison reform.

Good luck offering a rational reason for all the hate.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Jedi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Seeing as Biden is tanking and Buttigieg doesn't have any realistic way forward past NH It's looking like Bernie is going to be the clear frontrunner. I hope he wins.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:38 pm

Pat Rice

I'll address that later if i have time, but your bias is clear when you refer to "constitutional minded judges". You clearly mean conservative judges so please be honest about that because if you need to spin what youre saying, you know you have a weak argument

The partisan selection of Judges in the US is a travesty of justice which compounds a system that stifles progress. Dems are at fault for the system as well but Jesus, any reasonable person can see that Trump selecting more SC judges will be very bad for the US

Also, your mad hatred of the NHS is well documented on this forum, so I'll take all that shnizzle with a grain of salt, however I doubt you can demonstrate, in any way that our other US based members will back, that the majority of Americans dont want significant health reforms

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:34 pm

UFGN wrote:Pat Rice
...any reasonable person can see that Trump selecting more SC judges will be very bad for the US

Really poor debating tactic - assuming the only reasonable people are the ones that agree with you.
What is bad about Kavanaugh or Gorsuch - in comparison to say, Ginsburg or Sotamayor?
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Jedi wrote:Seeing as Biden is tanking and Buttigieg doesn't have any realistic way forward past NH It's looking like Bernie is going to be the clear frontrunner. I hope he wins.

It does look like Bernie is going to be in the lead heading into Super Tuesday - but keep in mind Bloomberg is spending a huge amount in the states that go to the polls on Super Tuesday.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I'll address that later if i have time, but your bias is clear when you refer to "constitutional minded judges". You clearly mean conservative judges so please be honest about that because if you need to spin what youre saying, you know you have a weak argument

The partisan selection of Judges in the US is a travesty of justice which compounds a system that stifles progress. Dems are at fault for the system as well but Jesus, any reasonable person can see that Trump selecting more SC judges will be very bad for the US

Also, your mad hatred of the NHS is well documented on this forum, so I'll take all that shnizzle with a grain of salt, however I doubt you can demonstrate, in any way that our other US based members will back, that the majority of Americans dont want significant health reforms

No, I mean constitutional minded judges as opposed to activist judges. What I write is what I mean, not meant to fit what you think is reality.

Funny how you seem to know better what is better for Americans than actual Americans. Americans elected Trump in great part because of the trend towards government controlled healthcare. I don't know where you get your information from but what you read in the Guardian is pretty much the polar opposite of what most of mid America thinks. My point to you which you usually miss is that Americans are more than capable of deciding issues for themselves which is what elections and democracy is all about.

I have no hate for the NHS, but I also understand that handing over one's healthcare to a bureaucracy is not going to to work here. If you think the only problem with the NHS and every other problem is throwing money at it then perhaps you need to have a deep think?
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
...any reasonable person can see that Trump selecting more SC judges will be very bad for the US

Really poor debating tactic - assuming the only reasonable people are the ones that agree with you.
What is bad about Kavanaugh or Gorsuch - in comparison to say, Ginsburg or Sotamayor?

The next two that need to be replaced are in their 80s and both Clinton era

I reiterate, with the caveat that both sides are responsible for the system, that replacing those two with Trump choices, in addition to him already having had two, and having blocked Obama from replacing Scalia, is clearly bad for America and that any reasonable person should agree with that

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

No, I mean constitutional minded judges as opposed to activist judges. What I write is what I mean, not meant to fit what you think is reality.

Funny how you seem to know better what is better for Americans than actual Americans. Americans elected Trump in great part because of the trend towards government controlled healthcare. I don't know where you get your information from but what you read in the Guardian is pretty much the polar opposite of what most of mid America thinks. My point to you which you usually miss is that Americans are more than capable of deciding issues for themselves which is what elections and democracy is all about.

I have no hate for the NHS, but I also understand that handing over one's healthcare to a bureaucracy is not going to to work here. If you think the only problem with the NHS and every other problem is throwing money at it then perhaps you need to have a deep think?

I invite our other American members to support PRISS’s assertions re healthcare in the US. I note that I made that point already, that I was leaving it to other US members, but youve conveniently overlooked that. More spin

What Trump was elected (without the authority of the popular vote of course) to do, is highly subjective.

Massive broadbrushing of my politics there re chucking money (yawn) and reading the guardian (double yawn) which really isn't worthy of a response

And I reiterate.... you absolutely do mean conservative judges.

UFGN

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:25 pm

UFGN wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

The next two that need to be replaced are in their 80s and both Clinton era

I reiterate, with the caveat that both sides are responsible for the system, that replacing those two with Trump choices, in addition to him already having had two, and having blocked Obama from replacing Scalia, is clearly bad for America and that any reasonable person should agree with that

There is no requirement to balance the court along ideological grounds and no determination can be made that it is 'bad for America' if one ideology is not equally represented. It could be equally be argued that it will be good for America when Sotamayor and Ginsburg are gone and replaced by Conservative chosen justices.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:28 pm

UFGN wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:

What Trump was elected (without the authority of the popular vote of course) to do, is highly subjective.

There is ZERO authority that comes from winning a nationwide popular vote. It's irrelevant.
The US Presidential election is actually 52 popular votes that DO actually count, the results of which determine who is elected President and thus carries the sole authority of the Executive Branch.

I am not sure if you are American, but if you are, you are not an informed citizen.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate