American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby LMAO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:As commander in chief Trump's word is final, all his military personnel can do is advise against it but at the end of the day if Trump wants China nuked tomorrow they're getting nuked tomorrow.

Not necessarily. If an order from an officer is illegal, then underlings have a duty to disobey it.

Trump can't just wake up and be like, "Let's glass China today," without any reason and that actually work.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:55 pm

LMAO wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:As commander in chief Trump's word is final, all his military personnel can do is advise against it but at the end of the day if Trump wants China nuked tomorrow they're getting nuked tomorrow.

Not necessarily. If an order from an officer is illegal, then underlings have a duty to disobey it.

Trump can't just wake up and be like, "Let's glass China today," without any reason and that actually work.

What makes a nuclear strike "legal"?

Who decides what reasons are valid for a strike?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Jedi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:01 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:We "morons" understand pretty well.

"The United States has a two-man rule in place at nuclear launch facilities, and while only the president can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be verified by the secretary of defense to be an authentic order given by the president"

Like I said, its not as "easy" as your making out, others have to be involved, I'm not saying he's not the Executive, but again, he still has to go through protocol and the two man process.

There's a process? I thought he simply bends over and shoots out nukes out of his ass.

Unlike you, I was perfectly aware of the process. Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I said in my original post. You're arguing for the sake of arguing and you're moving those goalposts as hard as you can. Everything I said was correct and I'm done with this topic.
Last edited by Jedi on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby LMAO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:

The same as any military action. Like, say Xi didn't gift Ivanka those patents, Trump couldn't nuke China for that in retaliation. However, if China were gearing up to invade Taiwan? A nuclear strike wouldn't be off the table.

The commanders of the military. They'd be more well-versed in the legality of military actions than any of us on here.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Outside of the President, Secretary of Defense, Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Council?

Its supposed to be a joint decision, discussed among the above and planned / approved, again, the President is the Executive and gets the final say, but as I showed, the President NEED's the Secretary of Defense to approve a launch which divs like Jedi didn't realise but is quick to call others morons who know better.

This idea of the President with his hand on the button next to his bed, is just not reality.

Targets need to be set, this means you need co-ordinates, Trump doesn't do any of this, Jedi thinks its like a video game because he wants to pedal the idea of the "Big bad evil Trump could doom us all" scenario.

Making himself look foolish.

Launching a nuke is a strategic, military planned operation.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:17 pm

Jedi wrote:

"The United States has a two-man rule in place at nuclear launch facilities, and while only the president can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be verified by the secretary of defense to be an authentic order given by the president"

Like I said, its not as "easy" as your making out, others have to be involved, I'm not saying he's not the Executive, but again, he still has to go through protocol and the two man process.

There's a process? I thought he simply bends over and shoots out nukes out of his ass.

Unlike you, I was perfectly aware of the process. Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I said in my original post. You're arguing for the sake of arguing and you're moving those goalposts as hard as you can. Everything I said was correct and I'm done with this topic.

No ....... I'm not, I simply stated that Trump needs more people than just himself to launch a Nuke, you made out like it was in the movies because that's the "High alert" agenda you want to pedal and you called me / us a moron even though I then proved you wrong with a quote.

But, at least now you know better, that is my gift to you for today.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:31 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Jedi wrote:

No ....... I'm not, I simply stated that Trump needs more people than just himself to launch a Nuke, you made out like it was in the movies because that's the "High alert" agenda you want to pedal and you called me / us a moron even though I then proved you wrong with a quote.

But, at least now you know better, that is my gift to you for today.

My post had absolutely nothing to do with being alarmist about Trump sending out nukes.

I was making an analogy to illustrate my point which was "just because you have the authority to do something, doesn't mean you should". I never suggested that Trump might actually use nukes.

Also, your dishonest quoting is hilarious. The next sentence, which you decided to omit shits on your entire point:
The United States has a two-man rule in place at nuclear launch facilities, and while only the president can order the release of nuclear weapons, the order must be verified by the secretary of defense to be an authentic order given by the president. This verification process deals solely with verifying that the order came from the actual president. The secretary of defense has no veto power and must comply with the president's order.

Trump has the sole authority. Someone would have to ignore the chain of command and disobey orders if they were to stop the process.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Nice try but it doesn't, it actually sh*ts on your point.

I've said numerous times above in posts "The President is the Executive and has the final say" my entire original point was this isn't something he can do willy nilly on his own and he does need other people to authorise, which is exactly what I highlighted to you in my original reply to you because I know how thick you are you need it sign posted.

I repeat, he needs the Secretary of Defense to approve the launch, he can't do it on his own.

That statement is just implying that the S.o.D would "never" refuse to comply, but if he did there would be no launch so actually you've just busted your own point of Trump not needing anyone but himself to authorise.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Nice try but it doesn't, it actually sh*ts on your point.

I've said numerous times above in posts "The President is the Executive and has the final say" my entire original point was this isn't something he can do willy nilly on his own and he does need other people to authorise, which is exactly what I highlighted to you in my original reply to you because I know how thick you are you need it sign posted.

I repeat, he needs the Secretary of Defense to approve the launch, he can't do it on his own.

That statement is just implying that the S.o.D would "never" refuse to comply, but if he did there would be no launch so actually you've just busted your own point of Trump not needing anyone but himself to authorise.

And what the f**k does any of this have to do with my original post?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby UFGN » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:32 pm

John Oliver's team did an investigation into America's nukes and the only question I was really left with after watching that was, do they actually even work? The launch process involves an LP sized floppy disk from pre internet computer technology
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:39 pm

LMAO wrote:

Not true in that any order to nuke anyone is not reviewable as illegal or legal because no underling in a missile launch facility, on sub or as back in my day on alert at an airbase could possibly make that judgement. If the order is go they go as per the EWO plans. That all said in real life there would undoubtedly be a drastic change in the DEFCON stage. The highest I saw was in 1992 when we were at 2 and which point the even tactical nukes in Europe and Korea were at the ready. As such it the folks with the keys would know something could kick off.

That all said this thread has taken an idiotic turn. Trump would not simply nuke China, nor would anyone else. Armchair warriors! :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 pm

UFGN wrote:John Oliver's team did an investigation into America's nukes and the only question I was really left with after watching that was, do they actually even work? The launch process involves an LP sized floppy disk from pre internet computer technology

Utter bullshit.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:42 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote: Trump would not simply nuke China, nor would anyone else.

:hiding:
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby LMAO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:51 pm

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:Armchair warriors!

Kind of like Trump? ;)

But, who here is being an armchair warrior? I haven't seen anyone calling for war. Weird comment.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:53 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote: Trump would not simply nuke China, nor would anyone else.

:hiding:

A good thing about Kim is he's predictable. Do a little saber-rattling here and there, but nothing ever comes of it because he knows that the second he does something stupid, his regime and North Korea are donezo.

From a global security standpoint, better him than some unhinged lunatic.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate