American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby LMAO » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:there are just too many Good Ol' Boys in 'Murica that will not let a "communist" into the White House.

tbf we were never going to have a black* president either.

*even though Obama is half-white but one-drop rule y'know

Why does it even matter what colour someone is?

How did that become the mark of whether a President would be good or not? that's just diversity check box ticking and its low brow politics, wheeling out the attraction for the crowd to cheer for.

You got Obama and he was as corrupt as the rest of them, surely that's the mark you should be interested in, is a bad black president better than a good white one and vice versa?

If you did get a full black President he'd be bought and paid for as much as the rest of them, at this moment I din't think it much matters who you get in, their all fked and the ones that aren't like Bernie Sanders won't be allowed through the door, that's your real issue.

What does this have to do with what I said?

What Obama did(n't do) in office is irrelevant to my counterpoint to RG. My point ends with Obama getting elected, not what came after. Obama wouldn't have become president if our Good Ol' Boys club membership was huge—disproportionately powerful, yes, but not huge.

And just like Obama, "Comrade" Sanders stands a chance to win a presidential election because the amount of Good Ol' Boys is outweighed by the rest of us.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm

LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:there are just too many Good Ol' Boys in 'Murica that will not let a "communist" into the White House.

How did that become the mark of whether a President would be good or not? that's just diversity check box ticking and its low brow politics, wheeling out the attraction for the crowd to cheer for.

You got Obama and he was as corrupt as the rest of them, surely that's the mark you should be interested in, is a bad black president better than a good white one and vice versa?

If you did get a full black President he'd be bought and paid for as much as the rest of them, at this moment I din't think it much matters who you get in, their all fked and the ones that aren't like Bernie Sanders won't be allowed through the door, that's your real issue.

What Obama did(n't do) in office is irrelevant to my counterpoint to RG. My point ends with Obama getting elected, not what came after. Obama wouldn't have become president if our Good Ol' Boys club membership was huge—disproportionately powerful, yes, but not huge.

And just like Obama, "Comrade" Sanders stands a chance to win a presidential election because the amount of Good Ol' Boys is outweighed by the rest of us.

Because your saying Obama wasn't "black" enough for you, my point is you should be worrying less about race and more about the quality and morals of the candidate.

Blackness doesn't = a good President.

In fact you can bet he / she would be ultra carefully vetted and prepped even more so than a white candidate.

JFK slipped through the net because they took for granted that he'd do the usual and play the game, when he started trying to implement changes from a moral standpoint they blew his fkin head off.

............. again, that's the real issue of your politics, until you fix that, race means fk all, its just a distraction for the crowds.

Vote for them because their black, vote for them because she's a woman etc etc

A much more pressing problem is that your political landscape won't allow a decent candidate to get through at all, and when one slips through they get murdered, I think that's a lot more pressing don't you?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:46 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:

Because your saying Obama wasn't "black" enough for you, my point is you should be worrying less about race and more about the quality and morals of the candidate.

Blackness doesn't = a good President.

In fact you can bet he / she would be ultra carefully vetted and prepped even more so than a white candidate.

JFK slipped through the net because they took for granted that he'd do the usual and play the game, when he started trying to implement changes from a moral standpoint they blew his fkin head off.

............. again, that's the real issue of your politics, until you fix that, race means fk all, its just a distraction for the crowds.

Vote for them because their black, vote for them because she's a woman etc etc

A much more pressing problem is that your political landscape won't allow a decent candidate to get through at all, and when one slips through they get murdered, I think that's a lot more pressing don't you?

Because even if America as a whole considers Obama black, he’s not. He’s mixed. Calling him a black president makes as much sense as calling him a white president.

And not once did I imply that someone's skin color is a good indicator of their character. I agree with you on that. We shouldn't vote for someone for anything other than their platform, but most of society doesn't see it that way.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:18 am

This dumbfuck just can't help himself. It's like he didn't learn from 2018.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/congressional-republicans-rattled-by-trumps-pivot-to-obamacare-fight-after-mueller-summary

Congrats in advance to the Dems for winning a trifecta in 2020 that'll come with Medicare for All.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:29 am

LMAO wrote:This dumbfuck just can't help himself. It's like he didn't learn from 2018.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/congressional-republicans-rattled-by-trumps-pivot-to-obamacare-fight-after-mueller-summary

Congrats in advance to the Dems for winning a trifecta in 2020 that'll come with Medicare for All.

You just don't grasp how he works ... it's so simple there's even a feckin' book ... the art of the deal for dummies

In simple terms ... make everything look as bad as possible - Border, Iran, N. Korea, Trade, Medicare - shout and scream and drive the conversations to the lowest possible level .... then when all looks utterly fecked .... BINGO ride in as the hero ...

All you need to do is present an idea that before you screwed it up would have been unthinkable, but now you've made the position ten times worse your fix looks like a great solution ... that's the art of the deal

Border - Not 200 billion for a wall just a 5 billion fence ... same bullshit but it feeds the masses, that one has already started.
Iran - Cancel agreements stir the shit, embargo, sanction ... then at some point make an arrangement ... that one probably 2020
N. Korea - Start by name calling exaggerating a bankrupt tiny country as the 'biggest threat to the planet' threaten, sanction, drive a tough deal, win a Nobel Prize ... that one is well under way
Trade - Play the tough guy, rip up deals left and right, drive down world trade, then sign up to new deals not that different from before ... that one USMCA done, probably saving China for 2020
Medicare - threaten the health cover of 20m people, tear up the Affordable Care Act ... but in reality no 20m people will ever lose their cover because just before they do introduce a bill that stops that happening ... maybe 2019 for that one as it's a tougher sell

So as you can see the five issues Trump is being an utter bell-end dealing with are all easily fixable ... he just doesn't care about screwing the ordinary folks to make himself look good - the art of the deal - and I'm afraid the US voters are just to dumb to see through him, and the media just to rabid to see past the next click-bait headline.

Not sure if he is this smart - but I half suspect he played up Russiagate to the max knowing full well nothing was going to come out ... a good conman doesn't get caught that easily.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:23 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
LMAO wrote:This dumbfuck just can't help himself. It's like he didn't learn from 2018.

You just don't grasp how he works ... it's so simple there's even a feckin' book ... the art of the deal for dummies

In simple terms ... make everything look as bad as possible - Border, Iran, N. Korea, Trade, Medicare - shout and scream and drive the conversations to the lowest possible level .... then when all looks utterly fecked .... BINGO ride in as the hero ...

All you need to do is present an idea that before you screwed it up would have been unthinkable, but now you've made the position ten times worse your fix looks like a great solution ... that's the art of the deal

Border - Not 200 billion for a wall just a 5 billion fence ... same bullshit but it feeds the masses, that one has already started.
Iran - Cancel agreements stir the shit, embargo, sanction ... then at some point make an arrangement ... that one probably 2020
N. Korea - Start by name calling exaggerating a bankrupt tiny country as the 'biggest threat to the planet' threaten, sanction, drive a tough deal, win a Nobel Prize ... that one is well under way
Trade - Play the tough guy, rip up deals left and right, drive down world trade, then sign up to new deals not that different from before ... that one USMCA done, probably saving China for 2020
Medicare - threaten the health cover of 20m people, tear up the Affordable Care Act ... but in reality no 20m people will ever lose their cover because just before they do introduce a bill that stops that happening ... maybe 2019 for that one as it's a tougher sell

So as you can see the five issues Trump is being an utter bell-end dealing with are all easily fixable ... he just doesn't care about screwing the ordinary folks to make himself look good - the art of the deal - and I'm afraid the US voters are just to dumb to see through him, and the media just to rabid to see past the next click-bait headline.

Not sure if he is this smart - but I half suspect he played up Russiagate to the max knowing full well nothing was going to come out ... a good conman doesn't get caught that easily.

Yes we have some idiots here, but to be fair to my fellow countrymen, the majority didn't vote for Trump. Just want to remind people of that. :frogwink:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 pm

StLGooner wrote:Yes we have some idiots here, but to be fair to my fellow countrymen, the majority didn't vote for Trump. Just want to remind people of that. :frogwink:

It's a massively important point ... we are watching our government elected with just 10.6m votes, that's a mere 22% of the UK voter population, making a complete feck up of running Brexit ... that's modern day democracy at work ...

So bad as your side of the pond has become it still can't beat us, the alleged people's choice Trump got 63m votes, which means Trump 'won' with a massive 26% of the voter population ... yeah
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:08 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Yes we have some idiots here, but to be fair to my fellow countrymen, the majority didn't vote for Trump. Just want to remind people of that. :frogwink:

It's a massively important point ... we are watching our government elected with just 10.6m votes, that's a mere 22% of the UK voter population, making a complete feck up of running Brexit ... that's modern day democracy at work ...

So bad as your side of the pond has become it still can't beat us, the alleged people's choice Trump got 63m votes, which means Trump 'won' with a massive 26% of the voter population ... yeah

There was an opportunity about eight years ago to bring in PR

Seems I was the only person who voted for it
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Phil71 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:21 pm

UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

I voted for it.

But having seen in this brexit process how our Parliament handles any sort of trying to rule by consensus, I fear it would result in just about everything taking years to implement.

However, I'd still take it over the undemocratic process we currently have - where 2% of the overall vote gets you more seats than 15% would.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:14 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47860012

Turns out this South Bender is planning on running for President. I can't imagine he'll get very far.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:19 pm

UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Wasn't the reason they kept it as "First past the post" is to not have all the power in the Cities?

I understand peoples objection to it but a part of me thinks the rural's and towns shouldn't be completely over powered by the City population.

Each borough should have a say and on counting by the numbers they would get completely drowned out.

Basically London, Manchester, Liverpool etc would effectively decide our Government's and then that means that all the parties will do is cater and market themselves to the Cities.

I'm sure this approach goes back to the original agreements of representation of the States in America and the same in England when Parliament didn't want all the power to be consolidated in London, basically what I'm saying is when they first set it up, there was some wisdom to it and I believe it was to stop uprisings or issues with the rural's, towns and states which were smaller than lets say New York so everyone had a say in how the country was run.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:10 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Wasn't the reason they kept it as "First past the post" is to not have all the power in the Cities?

I understand peoples objection to it but a part of me thinks the rural's and towns shouldn't be completely over powered by the City population.

Each borough should have a say and on counting by the numbers they would get completely drowned out.

Basically London, Manchester, Liverpool etc would effectively decide our Government's and then that means that all the parties will do is cater and market themselves to the Cities.

I'm sure this approach goes back to the original agreements of representation of the States in America and the same in England when Parliament didn't want all the power to be consolidated in London, basically what I'm saying is when they first set it up, there was some wisdom to it and I believe it was to stop uprisings or issues with the rural's, towns and states which were smaller than lets say New York so everyone had a say in how the country was run.

No the reason they campagned to keep it is because it benefits the established parties

One person one equal vote. Anything else is a compromise on democracy. Either you support democracy or you don't. FPTP is a poor representatton of it.

In the weighted vote system I favour, local communities would still be represented by the MP they elect and that MP can still be a spokesperson in Parliament for that constituency

However, the power of an MP's vote in Parliament would depend on how many overall votes his party received nationally. A mathmatical formula would be devised to work out whether an MP's vote on legislation is worth one vote, or 1.3, or 1.8, or more maybe

If a party gets lots of votes but not many MPs then the MPs they do have would be more powerful to compensate.

Its not perfect but its much better than FPTP
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LMAO » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 am

Gonna throw a party when Bolton kicks the bucket.

Pompeo and him are trying their hardest to push for a hot war with Iran. f**k them. After Afghanistan and Iraq, the majority of Americans are sick of war. Bolton should've been one of the main war hawks tried after 2008 for fabricating evidence/misleading Congress (and the US), but wasn't, and now the cockroach is trying to double dip.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby UFGN » Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 am

LMAO wrote:Gonna throw a party when Bolton kicks the bucket.

Pompeo and him are trying their hardest to push for a hot war with Iran. f**k them. After Afghanistan and Iraq, the majority of Americans are sick of war. Bolton should've been one of the main war hawks tried after 2008 for fabricating evidence/misleading Congress (and the US), but wasn't, and now the cockroach is trying to double dip.

He really is an evil scumbag. Sometimes when I feel sad I watch the video of him being dismantled by Tony Benn and it cheers me up

Oh and you can throw that party round at my place

UFGN

Postby Jedi » Sun May 26, 2019 12:12 am

One of those where you have to double-check if it's a parody account. Should be used to it by now but it never ceases to amaze me that this is the real world now. Daily reminder that this guy is the most powerful man on the planet. He could cause a nuclear genocide and end all human life on Earth if he wanted to. This guy.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate