American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 am

LMAO wrote:Still don't know who I'm going to vote for in the primaries. It's maddening.

I really wanna pull the trigger on Yang, but I also don't want to contribute to Biden winning.

Are you in a winner takes all state?
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:01 pm

LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:In fact they can pick their favorite average run of the mill 41 y/o male citizen, that is the same weight and height as me (6'1 195 lbs), and I'll fight him. Winner gets Melania Trump and a free stay at the white house.

Hard pass. Ivanka is a better incentive tbh

Whichever one pisses off Don more. He probably doesn't care about either though.

Oh man, you haven't seen the photos. Trump totally fantasizes about smashing Ivanka (or at least, he did. Dunno about currently).

Barf.

Yeah I don't give in easy to slander or obvious smearing campaigns but you can't get away from the fact that those poses in the photo's are the sort of poses a man would have with his wife or GF, not his child.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Royal Gooner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:
StLGooner wrote:In fact they can pick their favorite average run of the mill 41 y/o male citizen, that is the same weight and height as me (6'1 195 lbs), and I'll fight him. Winner gets Melania Trump and a free stay at the white house.

Hard pass. Ivanka is a better incentive tbh

Whichever one pisses off Don more. He probably doesn't care about either though.

Oh man, you haven't seen the photos. Trump totally fantasizes about smashing Ivanka (or at least, he did. Dunno about currently).

Barf.

Yeah I don't give in easy to slander or obvious smearing campaigns but you can't get away from the fact that those poses in the photo's are the sort of poses a man would have with his wife or GF, not his child.

And the fact he said it actually takes the sting out of any attempts to use it against him. So actually quite a clever move there from Trump in that one throwaway line, he has taken a big weapon out of their arsenal.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am

Royal Gooner wrote:
LMAO wrote:Still don't know who I'm going to vote for in the primaries. It's maddening.

I really wanna pull the trigger on Yang, but I also don't want to contribute to Biden winning.

To my knowledge, the pledged delegates for the Democratic primaries are proportional representation for candidates who receive at least 15% of a state's votes. I think it's the Republican primaries which are more of a winner-take-all system.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:25 am

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

To my knowledge, the pledged delegates for the Democratic primaries are proportional representation for candidates who receive at least 15% of a state's votes. I think it's the Republican primaries which are more of a winner-take-all system.

You you may as well vote for who you want then if theres still a chance they get something.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:46 pm

LMAO wrote:
Royal Gooner wrote:

It won't matter much for two reasons. Firstly the DNC will either make sure it is Biden rather than Bernie, and if Biden finally gets busted over his brother and kids (plural) enriching themselves while he was in office in Ukraine, Iraq, China etc for all these decades then I suspect they will have a cattle call convention and Hillary or Michelle will arrive on the scene.

Secondly, Trump will win by the same or larger margin. That's my take.

Yang is the best of rather poor lot. Gabi is second best.
He/His/Non-Menstruater/Postmenopausal/non-vaginal male. Yup all man!
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:40 am

AP source: Bolton says Trump tied Ukraine funds to probe

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said he wanted to maintain a freeze on military assistance to Ukraine until it aided political investigations into his Democratic rivals, former national security adviser John Bolton recounts in a draft of his forthcoming book.

The revelation challenges the defense offered up by Trump and his attorneys in his Senate impeachment trial and raises the stakes as the chamber decides this week whether to seek sworn testimony from Bolton and other witnesses.

Bolton’s account was first reported by The New York Times and confirmed to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the manuscript on the condition of anonymity to discuss the book, “The Room Where It Happened; A White House Memoir,” ahead of its release March 17.

Bolton, who acrimoniously left the White House a day before Trump ultimately released the Ukraine aid on Sept. 11, has already told lawmakers that he is willing to testify, despite the president’s order barring aides from cooperating in the probe.

The White House did not respond to a request for comment Sunday night. Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, who has played a prominent role in the Ukraine affair, replied to a request for comment with a text: “I used to like and respect John and tell people they were wrong about how irresponsible he was. I was wrong.”

Democrats need at least four Republicans to vote with them to seek witness testimony. Those prospects looked unlikely in recent days and it’s unclear if the new revelations about Bolton’s book will sway any GOP senators.

Democrats quickly sought to ramp up the pressure on their Republican counterparts. The House managers called the book’s revelation “explosive” in a joint statement and said, “Senators should insist that Mr. Bolton be called as a witness, and provide his notes and other relevant documents.” They added: “During our impeachment inquiry, the President blocked our request for Mr. Bolton’s testimony. Now we see why.”

“John Bolton has the evidence,” tweeted Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. “It’s up to four Senate Republicans to ensure that John Bolton, Mick Mulvaney, and the others with direct knowledge of President Trump’s actions testify in the Senate trial.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell had no immediate comment, according to his office.

The book’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, declined to comment.

Sarah Tinsley, an adviser to Bolton, said: “The ambassador’s manuscript was transmitted to the White House in hard copy several weeks ago for pre-publication review by the NSC. The ambassador has not passed the draft manuscript to anyone else. Period.”

The pre-publication review is standard for the work of former officials with security clearances.

Bolton attorney Charles J. Cooper sharply criticized the White House for allowing excerpts from the book to be made public, saying in a statement that the pre-publication review process had been “corrupted and that information has been disclosed by persons other than those properly involved in reviewing the manuscript.”

Democrats accuse Trump of abuse of power in withholding the military assistance to Ukraine to push that country to mount investigations into Democrats, including former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter, who served on the board of a Ukraine gas company, Burisma, while his father was in office.

On Saturday, the president’s attorneys said during their opening day of defense arguments that there was no evidence that Trump made the military aid contingent on the country announcing an investigation into Biden.

The Times also reported that Bolton says he told Attorney General William Barr that he was mentioned by Trump on his July 25 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy. A Justice Department official on Sunday disputed Bolton’s account that he had told Barr about the president’s call with Zelenskiy but did say that Bolton had called Barr to raise concerns about Giuliani’s shadow diplomacy efforts.

Trump on Wednesday told reporters in Davos, Switzerland, that he didn’t want Bolton to testify before the Senate.

“The problem with John is it’s a national security problem,” Trump said. “He knows some of my thoughts. He knows what I think about leaders. What happens if he reveals what I think about a certain leader and it’s not very positive and then I have to deal on behalf of the country?”

He added: “It’s going to be very hard. It’s going to make the job very hard.”

https://apnews.com/cd54bcd8a665c5de800120af57852679
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby LMAO » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm

44 - 48 percent of Americans want more additional witness testimony.

50 - 44 percent of Americans think Trump should be removed from office.
53 - 34 percent of Independents think Trump should be removed from office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... move-trump

66 - 27 percent of Americans want witnesses.

47 - 49 percent think Trump should be removed from office.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/66-call ... d=68509143

75 - 20 percent of Americans want witnesses.

47 - 48 percent think Trump should be removed from office.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=3654

I think the GOP is playing a dangerous game with the electorate if the Senators don't call witnesses.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm

LMAO wrote:
44 - 48 percent of Americans want more additional witness testimony.

50 - 44 percent of Americans think Trump should be removed from office.
53 - 34 percent of Independents think Trump should be removed from office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... move-trump

66 - 27 percent of Americans want witnesses.

47 - 49 percent think Trump should be removed from office.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/66-call ... d=68509143

75 - 20 percent of Americans want witnesses.

47 - 48 percent think Trump should be removed from office.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-de ... aseID=3654

I think the GOP is playing a dangerous game with the electorate if the Senators don't call witnesses.

Trump can legitimately plead nothing to do with him if they don't. He'll probably win re-election but he may lose the Senate if they don't call anyone.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:34 am

There are four Senators who might be in danger if they vote not to, which is what this is all about anyway. Two things the Dems desperately want, control of judgeships and control of the DOJ.

But those four are not the only seats in play. Jones will lose in AL and James has a good chance of winning in Michigan. My guess is that the Senate will remain in GOP hands, especially as it is a presidential year and party line voting nearly always favors the incumbent party.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby LMAO » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 am

Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:There are four Senators who might be in danger if they vote not to, which is what this is all about anyway. Two things the Dems desperately want, control of judgeships and control of the DOJ.

But those four are not the only seats in play. Jones will lose in AL and James has a good chance of winning in Michigan. My guess is that the Senate will remain in GOP hands, especially as it is a presidential year and party line voting nearly always favors the incumbent party.

Four?

Collins (Maine), Tillis (North Carolina), McSally (Arizona)

Who’s the fourth? Ernst (Iowa), Loeffler (Georgia), Perdue (Georgia), Sullivan (Alaska)?

The Democrats and the Republicans are trading Colorado and Alabama (unless Roy Moore somehow wins another primary lol).
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:46 am

If the Senate opens up the 'trial' to witnesses then you will see the Republicans use the same witness conditions as the Dems used in the House, after all they will then have all the power. They should allow Bolton as he can't add anything that's not already out there, then they will call Biden, Biden Jnr and Schiff himself which could lead to some very awkward questions. Why was Biden Jnr on air force 2 in China? why did you offer quid-pro-quo to the Ukraine? why were you paid millions for apparently doing nothing? what is your connection to the whistle blower? and there are dozens more equally difficult questions .... hard to see how Biden, Biden Jnr or Schiff could refuse to appear without collapsing the whole house of cards.

The Dems might see Bolton as a hail-mary but he won't swing the Senate, all they will do is risk a Republican free for all against them. They got Trump impeached take the win and move on ... don't overplay your hand.

As for the polls - they haven't moved since 2016 - and guess who won that year
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:27 am

Looks like there may not be enough votes for witnesses.

Lamar Alexander is a limp dick but admits Trump did wrong.

The Democrats just got a major boost and ammo for the presidency and the Senate.

Cowards and hypocrites, the lot of the GOP. If any Dem president had done what Trump did, every Republican would've voted for witnesses and an eventual conviction.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:34 am

LMAO wrote:Looks like there may not be enough votes for witnesses.

Lamar Alexander is a limp dick but admits Trump did wrong.

The Democrats just got a major boost and ammo for the presidency and the Senate.

Cowards and hypocrites, the lot of the GOP. If any Dem president had done what Trump did, every Republican would've voted for witnesses and an eventual conviction.

And every Democrat would have voted against ... when it's party politics above the law you know you're fecked.

Vote on Friday will probably be entirely on party lines (maybe a couple of switches) but it will in no way be bipartisan ... exactly as it wasn't in the House.

Not sure if anyone wins - Reps will cry witch-hunt - Dems will scream cover-up - it's the swing voters that matter and history tells us they vote with their wallets. The challenge for the Dems will be to keep the economy out of the argument, that's a tough ask.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pat Rice in Short Shorts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 pm

LMAO wrote:
Pat Rice in Short Shorts wrote:There are four Senators who might be in danger if they vote not to, which is what this is all about anyway. Two things the Dems desperately want, control of judgeships and control of the DOJ.

Four?

Collins (Maine), Tillis (North Carolina), McSally (Arizona)

Who’s the fourth? Ernst (Iowa), Loeffler (Georgia), Perdue (Georgia), Sullivan (Alaska)?

The Democrats and the Republicans are trading Colorado and Alabama (unless Roy Moore somehow wins another primary lol).

Cory Gardner from CO.

Given he said the other day he is voting with Trump and Mirkowski doing the same it's a done deal...except that the Senate is going to allow each Senator ten minutes of TV time, so that adds a few days on.
Pat Rice in Short Shorts
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate