American Politics

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: American Politics

Postby Santi » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Re jobs: Despite Trump saying he'll bring factory jobs back to the Rust Belt, manufacturing has already been coming back over the past few years, but not because of tariffs on imports. It's due to automation decreasing costs while increasing productivity. Robots can sew a shirt, construct a vehicle, and put together furniture more efficiently than humans. But, factory jobs aren't going to be the only ones automated; even transportation (e.g., truck drivers and public transportation employees) will be automated within the next 50 years. The problem is going to be reeducating those workers for future jobs instead of giving them false hope about jobs that are never coming back. Also because of automation, a universal basic income needs to be implemented, or there won't be many people who can purchase goods and services.

This is the elephant in the room. People need to stop worrying about immigrants taking their jobs and start worrying about the Internet and automation

Bit harder to deport software though ain't it!

I'm trying to square the circle in my head of electing a billionaire businessman who would automate your job in a heartbeat to save $1, on a job creation ticket. Nope, I can't.

Don't fall into the 'robots can do it all' trap .... robots do less than 1 in 1,000 jobs ... just think about how many robot workers you meet every day ... bet it ain't all that many ... I can't remember ever having met one ....

Companies like Foxconn still employ 10's of 1,000's of people ... sure they have a target of 30% automation by 2020 but that still leaves 70% for people .... better that was in the US than in China or Japan (they own Sharp)

So if you put the next Foxconn factory in 'back-end of nowhere' USA it will sustain a decent sized town, even if some of those jobs are as robot technicians ...

The only reason they are not already there is that it's cheaper to - shift components to China - assemble them in China - then shift finished products to the USA ... not only is that highly environmentally unfriendly it's also bloody difficult ... you have currency risk, language barriers, employment laws, customs, taxes ... just do it all in the USA ... to do that you need to change the rules on trade ... that's Trump's strategy in a nutshell ... it's what China has been doing in reverse for years ...

That will make the products a few percent more expensive but that's a price the USA population will have to pay ...

FYI - China has a list of Industries in which Foreign Investors are prohibited or restricted, it's bloody huge ....

http://www.fdi.gov.cn/1800000121_39_4830_0_7.html

I've never understood why the USA don't just have a reciprocal list banning all products from that prescribed list from entering the USA ... seems fair to me ...

The problem isn't only robots and manufacturing, but administration and software.

Thinking right now of my five or six closest friends.... Only one of them has a job that couldn't relatively easily be replaced by IT, and we're talking about pretty well paid jobs here. I think in the next 15 years we'll start to see a huge move toward intelligent software.

Anybody who doesn't think that a huge amount of jobs will be lost to automation in the next few decades is either in denial or knows nothing about technology. I'm not even an experienced coder but after listening to my uncle describe his new job to me even I could probably write code/design software to automate his job.

As a tester it's fvcking great, get to automate all the boring/repetitive shit and cocnentrate on the harder and more interesting stuff.

SQL & VBA ftw though, Java looks fun but I haven't had time to practice enough.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
UFGN wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
UFGN wrote:
Brandon wrote:
Re jobs: Despite Trump saying he'll bring factory jobs back to the Rust Belt, manufacturing has already been coming back over the past few years, but not because of tariffs on imports. It's due to automation decreasing costs while increasing productivity. Robots can sew a shirt, construct a vehicle, and put together furniture more efficiently than humans. But, factory jobs aren't going to be the only ones automated; even transportation (e.g., truck drivers and public transportation employees) will be automated within the next 50 years. The problem is going to be reeducating those workers for future jobs instead of giving them false hope about jobs that are never coming back. Also because of automation, a universal basic income needs to be implemented, or there won't be many people who can purchase goods and services.

This is the elephant in the room. People need to stop worrying about immigrants taking their jobs and start worrying about the Internet and automation

Bit harder to deport software though ain't it!

I'm trying to square the circle in my head of electing a billionaire businessman who would automate your job in a heartbeat to save $1, on a job creation ticket. Nope, I can't.

Don't fall into the 'robots can do it all' trap .... robots do less than 1 in 1,000 jobs ... just think about how many robot workers you meet every day ... bet it ain't all that many ... I can't remember ever having met one ....

Companies like Foxconn still employ 10's of 1,000's of people ... sure they have a target of 30% automation by 2020 but that still leaves 70% for people .... better that was in the US than in China or Japan (they own Sharp)

So if you put the next Foxconn factory in 'back-end of nowhere' USA it will sustain a decent sized town, even if some of those jobs are as robot technicians ...

The only reason they are not already there is that it's cheaper to - shift components to China - assemble them in China - then shift finished products to the USA ... not only is that highly environmentally unfriendly it's also bloody difficult ... you have currency risk, language barriers, employment laws, customs, taxes ... just do it all in the USA ... to do that you need to change the rules on trade ... that's Trump's strategy in a nutshell ... it's what China has been doing in reverse for years ...

That will make the products a few percent more expensive but that's a price the USA population will have to pay ...

FYI - China has a list of Industries in which Foreign Investors are prohibited or restricted, it's bloody huge ....

http://www.fdi.gov.cn/1800000121_39_4830_0_7.html

I've never understood why the USA don't just have a reciprocal list banning all products from that prescribed list from entering the USA ... seems fair to me ...

The problem isn't only robots and manufacturing, but administration and software.

Thinking right now of my five or six closest friends.... Only one of them has a job that couldn't relatively easily be replaced by IT, and we're talking about pretty well paid jobs here. I think in the next 15 years we'll start to see a huge move toward intelligent software.

Anybody who doesn't think that a huge amount of jobs will be lost to automation in the next few decades is either in denial or knows nothing about technology. I'm not even an experienced coder but after listening to my uncle describe his new job to me even I could probably write code/design software to automate his job.

As a tester it's fvcking great, get to automate all the boring/repetitive shit and cocnentrate on the harder and more interesting stuff.

SQL & VBA ftw though, Java looks fun but I haven't had time to practice enough.

I had to parrot learn SQL for a project in high school. It is super powerful but if you don't know what you're doing it is frustrating as f**k (but that's probably true for all languages lol)

VBA is basically the mother of automation. Just read the first few comments in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments ... _in_excel/
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TOP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 pm

The sooner they replace politicians and judges by robots the better
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LMAO » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Pudpop wrote:
Angelito wrote:Ah, the perks of being a coder. What coding language do you use?

I can't really say which one I use since I'm still studying and in 1st year we had to use the language the course was taught in (they taught Python to teach us procedural programming concepts and Java for object oriented). The only one I'm proficient enough in to write a fully functional and useful program would be Java.

Good for you. I don't have a job that matches my degree and instead am working as a software engineer, and it's lit. The work-life balance is great. I usually only 'have' to work around 40 hours per week, but sometimes I'm done with what I need to do super early and only work maybe 25 hours per week; however, during crunch time or when there's an urgent bug, sometimes I'll work around 80 hours a week, and it sucks, but those weeks are rare. Unlimited time off is peak though; if I need a week or two off, as long as I still get my stuff done before and after the vacation, then it's no problem.

Also, I don't know why your course didn't continue on with Python for OOP since Python is a lot easier for beginners to understand (and code in) than Java is imo. It's better to learn how to code when you're starting out than trying to pick up 30 different languages yet still not understanding how to code.

If you want to get a job as a software engineer, you can honestly do so after you learn data structures and algorithms. In interviews, I was never grilled on anything beyond those.

(And it's nice being future-proofed for jobs lol)
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Pudpop wrote: Is there a facepalm emoji? It doesn't give me the option on Tapatalk...

Pop 1950: 150m
Pop 1980: 234m
Pop 2000: 280m
Pop 2017: 350m

Jobs increased because the population increased.

Also, no one is arguing that there won't be new jobs to make up for the old ones, that much is obvious, but to say outright that the new jobs will outnumber the old ones is flat out impossible to say, and doctors of economics can debate it themselves but they know that it is impossible to tell the future. But the entire point behind automation is that you need to employ fewer people. There is no incentive for a business to spend money on research and development for software and machinery which won't save them money. The concept of automation implies that there will be fewer jobs.

More importantly, however, is the concept of Structural Unemployment. This is unemployment due to being replaced by technology (and other reasons, but not really relevant). Quite simply, the issue behind structural unemployment is a lack of necessary skills from the worker. In 20 years time when everything is automated if you want a job you're going to need to be proficient in some level of coding or skill intensive software use. It is not simply going to be changing from a carriage drive to a taxi driver because of the industrial revolution. Automation will make jobs much more skill intensive, because everything not skill intensive will be automated...

Jobs increased because the population increased. - That's happened since the Union was formed yet you claim not anymore?

but to say outright that the new jobs will outnumber the old ones is flat out impossible to say as indeed it is equally impossible to say that they won't .... the logical forward step is to pay people a 'salary' whether they work or not ... having a job then becomes a matter of choice ... check out Sweden ...

But the entire point behind automation is that you need to employ fewer people but automation pales into insignificance when you compare it to the changes that came about in the Industrial revolution, just in agriculture alone 80% of all jobs were lost, but despite that overall the number of employed still went up ...

if you want a job you're going to need to be proficient in some level of coding or skill intensive software use whilst I don't agree with that, their are millions of jobs where human interaction will remain, your point is still valid ... to increase the job pool will require better more focused education ... as indeed it did in the Industrial revolution ... a focus from any 1st world government should be in better educating it's population ...

You're right that massive change is coming .... but humans are good at that ....

The biggest challenge will be trying to keep our numbers under control ... as we live longer there will be an ever growing number of 'retired' folk ... maybe soylent green wasn't so crazy an idea after all ... :lol:
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:56 pm

TOP wrote:The sooner they replace politicians and judges by robots the better

I hope that is sarcasm.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TOP » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Praise Pablo wrote:

I hope that is sarcasm.

Nope
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Poor girl probably just wanted a sugar daddy, now she's got like a real full time job to do. Ha!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:17 pm

TOP wrote:
Praise Pablo wrote:

I hope that is sarcasm.

Nope

I wonder how the robot politicians built by the Americans will get on with the robot politicians built by the Russians?

You are smarter than this TOP.
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:19 pm

StLGooner wrote:Poor girl probably just wanted a sugar daddy, now she's got like a real full time job to do. Ha!

Those angry women who marched their fat asses protesting over weekend would love that statement. You sexist pig ;)
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:54 pm

Praise Pablo wrote:
StLGooner wrote:Poor girl probably just wanted a sugar daddy, now she's got like a real full time job to do. Ha!

Those angry women who marched their fat asses protesting over weekend would love that statement. You sexist pig ;)

I honestly don't think that is a sexist statement.

Calling someone a gold digger isn't sexist. Or is it now days? :dontknow:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Melania is what our Granit would call......
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:02 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Praise Pablo wrote:

I honestly don't think that is a sexist statement.

Calling someone a gold digger isn't sexist. Or is it now days? :dontknow:

I ain't sayin' she a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no broke niggas
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Donald J Trump » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am

Well, when you've got the sweetest sugar(because I have the sweetest sugar), women come running. I can't help it, they see my sugar and they want a taste!
The beauty of me is that I’m very rich.
-Me
Donald J Trump
Liam Brady

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate