Citizen Four Documentary

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Citizen Four Documentary

Postby AAIRE99 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Hey, Sure a lot of you have heard about this but here goes anyway.

I was alerted to this by a propaganda nut friend of mine.
Have to say its a must watch docu. Its up on youtube for free.

Basically its about Ed Snowden, hes a systems administrator or was sorry for the US government.
He leaked a load of information about the US basically monitoring all the data on the internet, this means regardless of whether or not you have done anything wrong or are even a suspect they can read your emails, listen to your calls, financial transactions etc etc.

It would seem they had this ability in more or less any country in the world they wanted too through underwater cable interception and decryption.

Thoughts ?

Mine are, Im actually a SA like Ed Snowden, not quite on his level obviously however.
I kind of feel that the US act as global police in one form or another and im actually ok with that.
I feel data monitoring like this should be legal for the US and the US only, I actually feel its necessary in fighting against the threat of terrorism tbh.

Further whats more I can stand over this stuff to a certain extent technically, its certainly not impossible and is quite feasible imho. as a professional.
AAIRE99
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Citizen Four Documentary

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Downloading the movie now, wouldn't mind a watch.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Vinny » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:11 am

Will watch the movie.
But as an initial response.

What Snowden did was illegal in his jurisdiction.
However I admire the guy, he stood up for what he believed and he exposed the US breaking international laws and treaties.
The narrative, acc to the US Gov was to turn it into Snowden the traitor, yet the real narrative was rather more disturbing.
Gov's live off fear, create an enemy, blame them for your lot in the world and you create an environment of togetherness.
Fear sells unfortunately.

Either way would completely disagree with the US acting as global police.
They have proven time and again that self interests overrule worldwide interests and as far as data monitoring is concerned, if they want to monitor data in their country fine, but try to respect treaties and agreements they have promised to and signed.
The US have enough problems at home, let them sort them out before acting as global police while breaking the UN convention on torture numerous times.

What Snowden did was the right thing imo and would disagree with data monitoring on a free for all basis.
Vinny
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:14 am

Snowden will probably get snuffed one day. Commend his bravery and principle.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Return to The Big Debate