Who Smokes?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Who smokes?

Frequently smoke
28%
Rarely smoke
8%
Have smoked
22%
Never touched it
42%

Total votes : 36

Re: Who Smokes?

Postby Pudpop » Wed May 09, 2018 6:48 am

UFGN wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:Imagine wanting to do something that costs money, makes your clothes stink, makes your breath smell like shit and destroys your health.

You forgot ages your skin, ruins your teeth, turns you into a skiving prick at work, and turns you into an antisocial arse hole
Sign me up?

Seriously though I will never understand why people start

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am

Gave up aged 23 and then went through a period aged 40 to 50 smoking maybe a couple of cigars a week when drinking beer. However packed that up 5 years ago and would only smoke now if totally wankered!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:40 am

They do taste nice, especially when drunk, horrible habit though and makes you feel shit
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Angelito » Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 pm

Phil71 wrote:I smoked over 20 a day from 1981 until 2010. Then I was diagnosed with a narrowed artery. It was by accident. I was in hospital for something else and they found it.

It was pretty surreal sitting across from my cardiologist while he laid it all out. I had coronary artery disease at 45, and he was considering all options, including a bypass. Was this really happening to me? Really?

Eventually he decided on coronary angioplasty. A small titanium tube is inserted into the artery to widen it.

He didn’t need to tell me twice that I had to stop smoking. He said he could give me drugs to regulate my blood pressure, and drugs to thin my blood, and more drugs to reduce my cholesterol, but the simple act of giving up smoking would do me more favours than all of those drugs combined.

I went to my GP, who referred me to the practice nurse (she was great by the way), and it was decided I should try a drug called Champix. You start on a low dose for a week, then it gets upped. For the first month you continue to smoke as normal, with weekly checks at the surgery. After a few weeks, my fags started to taste disgusting. Just rancid. All I was getting was a rancid, acrid taste in my mouth with each one. Naturally I was less inclined to smoke, and my intake slowed to about 25%.

On my next visit to the surgery, I asked the nurse if the drugs made cigarettes taste nasty. She laughed, and replied, “No Phil, cigarettes just taste nasty... you’ve only just realised.”

The Champix works to identify the receptors in the brain that are stimulated by nicotine. They put a screen over those receptors, and block the nicotine from reaching them. By the time you’ve been taking them for a month you could smoke 100 fags, pull on 10 litres of vape liquid, or attach 500 patches to your skin, and you ain’t getting no nicotine hit.

The next step is that you completely stop. You chuck away your fags, lighters, ashtrays, and any other smoking paraphernalia you may have. Bin it all. You continue to take the drug for another 2 months, all the while being tested every week at the surgery to make sure you’re not smoking.

The hardest part is changing your habits. Having smoked for nigh on 30 years, it wasn’t easy. I recall a few days after I had stopped, I was having a nice meal one evening, when suddenly a thought shot from the back of my mind right to the front. ‘You’re not going to smoke a fag after this.’. I was overcome with what could only be described as panic. My stomach knotted, and I started to sweat. I had a few episodes like that in the weeks that followed. I guess if you beat the same path for 30 years, then suddenly change, it can f**k with your head.

The reason I came to this thread this evening is because I was reminded earlier that it has never left me. I was sat in my armchair drinking a beer, and reached to my right hand side for my fag box. I had always kept it there. How hard it is sometimes to completely remove a learned and well practiced pattern of behaviour. You do it without thinking.

I have been fag free since October 2010. My health is good, and I’m so glad I did it.

Sincere best wishes to everyone who wants to give up. You can do it if you really want to.

Glad you're fine and could quit.

It's impossible for some, I've seen.

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Can't believe people still smoke in 2018.

You'll be surprised that it's an increasing trend in many parts of the world, especially East European and some Asian countries.

It's part of the culture in many countries and, brace yourself, not smoking can sometimes be passed off as antisocial in some circles!

Ach wrote:Never smoked

2nd greatest evil in the world

What's #1?

UFGN wrote:Bloke I work with has throat cancer from smoking

Also has horrific ulcers on his legs caused by poor circulation caused by smoking

They can't operate on this legs because his chemo has to take priority

He's lost four stone and most of his hair. Lost his voice for six months

He still smokes

Some people can't quit. I've noticed it among my friends. They'll quit for a week or two before relapsing.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Alcohol
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:31 pm

Also has horrific ulcers on his legs caused by poor circulation caused by smoking

He still smokes

His leg was amputated today.

Don't smoke kids
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Yago » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:06 am

not planning on
alcohol for life
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby LMAO » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 am

UFGN wrote:

He still smokes

His leg was amputated today.

Don't smoke kids

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am

I was never a heavy smoker 3-4 a day but I've switched to vaping for 4 months now if not 5 months.

I've had one cigarette since the day I bought it and that was just to see what it would be like (was horrible by the way).

I'll never touch a cig again.

Hopefully vaping will end up showing its much better than smoking and considering there's no tar in it, I can't see why not.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:02 am

Have not smoked for about 20 years, Glad I gave it up.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I was never a heavy smoker 3-4 a day but I've switched to vaping for 4 months now if not 5 months.

I've had one cigarette since the day I bought it and that was just to see what it would be like (was horrible by the way).

Hopefully vaping will end up showing its much better than smoking and considering there's no tar in it, I can't see why not.

The government need to get behind vaping and stop treating it as equally bad as smoking. It's not good for people who didn't smoke in the first place but to get people off smoking it's very useful
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:28 pm

UFGN wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:I was never a heavy smoker 3-4 a day but I've switched to vaping for 4 months now if not 5 months.

The government need to get behind vaping and stop treating it as equally bad as smoking. It's not good for people who didn't smoke in the first place but to get people off smoking it's very useful

The problem is the billion dollar tobacco industry has a lot more weight with governments while vaping companies have next to no influence, tobacco companies pay lots of tax and have agreements in place with gov'ts.
Its like that popcorn lung false flag they put out, people still quote that crap even though it was completely unfounded, never one documented case and what they failed to mention was that the possibility of getting popcorn lung was from one of the ingredients cigarettes have in them as well.

Utter sham, but hey when your average joe isn't a medical professional how are they going to know or research this other than what's been planted in the press?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
UFGN wrote:

The problem is the billion dollar tobacco industry has a lot more weight with governments while vaping companies have next to no influence, tobacco companies pay lots of tax and have agreements in place with gov'ts.
Its like that popcorn lung false flag they put out, people still quote that crap even though it was completely unfounded, never one documented case and what they failed to mention was that the possibility of getting popcorn lung was from one of the ingredients cigarettes have in them as well.

Utter sham, but hey when your average joe isn't a medical professional how are they going to know or research this other than what's been planted in the press?

I don't think they have as much influence as they once had. In this country smoking has declined massively, thanks to the smoking ban

UFGN

Postby Santi » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Hate those f***ers who walk round busy streets with a fag in hand/mouth, when u get stuck behind the f***er and have to smell that shit :angry:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby LMAO » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:25 am

Santi wrote:Hate those f***ers who walk round busy streets with a fag in hand/mouth, when u get stuck behind the f**ker and have to smell that shit :angry:

I can't believe you don't enjoy the lovely whiffs of smoke wafting from cancer sticks.

Nothing better than having to inhale carcinogenic secondhand smoke on a fine day.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate