Who Smokes?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Who smokes?

Frequently smoke
28%
Rarely smoke
8%
Have smoked
22%
Never touched it
42%

Total votes : 36

Re: Who Smokes?

Postby badup » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Cigarettes taste like shit and leave a horrible taste in your mouth.

E-cigarettes taste amazing depending on the liquid.
badup
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 pm

I smoked over 20 a day from 1981 until 2010. Then I was diagnosed with a narrowed artery. It was by accident. I was in hospital for something else and they found it.

It was pretty surreal sitting across from my cardiologist while he laid it all out. I had coronary artery disease at 45, and he was considering all options, including a bypass. Was this really happening to me? Really?

Eventually he decided on coronary angioplasty. A small titanium tube is inserted into the artery to widen it.

He didn’t need to tell me twice that I had to stop smoking. He said he could give me drugs to regulate my blood pressure, and drugs to thin my blood, and more drugs to reduce my cholesterol, but the simple act of giving up smoking would do me more favours than all of those drugs combined.

I went to my GP, who referred me to the practice nurse (she was great by the way), and it was decided I should try a drug called Champix. You start on a low dose for a week, then it gets upped. For the first month you continue to smoke as normal, with weekly checks at the surgery. After a few weeks, my fags started to taste disgusting. Just rancid. All I was getting was a rancid, acrid taste in my mouth with each one. Naturally I was less inclined to smoke, and my intake slowed to about 25%.

On my next visit to the surgery, I asked the nurse if the drugs made cigarettes taste nasty. She laughed, and replied, “No Phil, cigarettes just taste nasty... you’ve only just realised.”

The Champix works to identify the receptors in the brain that are stimulated by nicotine. They put a screen over those receptors, and block the nicotine from reaching them. By the time you’ve been taking them for a month you could smoke 100 fags, pull on 10 litres of vape liquid, or attach 500 patches to your skin, and you ain’t getting no nicotine hit.

The next step is that you completely stop. You chuck away your fags, lighters, ashtrays, and any other smoking paraphernalia you may have. Bin it all. You continue to take the drug for another 2 months, all the while being tested every week at the surgery to make sure you’re not smoking.

The hardest part is changing your habits. Having smoked for nigh on 30 years, it wasn’t easy. I recall a few days after I had stopped, I was having a nice meal one evening, when suddenly a thought shot from the back of my mind right to the front. ‘You’re not going to smoke a fag after this.’. I was overcome with what could only be described as panic. My stomach knotted, and I started to sweat. I had a few episodes like that in the weeks that followed. I guess if you beat the same path for 30 years, then suddenly change, it can f**k with your head.

The reason I came to this thread this evening is because I was reminded earlier that it has never left me. I was sat in my armchair drinking a beer, and reached to my right hand side for my fag box. I had always kept it there. How hard it is sometimes to completely remove a learned and well practiced pattern of behaviour. You do it without thinking.

I have been fag free since October 2010. My health is good, and I’m so glad I did it.

Sincere best wishes to everyone who wants to give up. You can do it if you really want to.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Not me
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Can't believe people still smoke in 2018.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Phil71 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Phil71 wrote:I smoked over 20 a day from 1981 until 2010. Then I was diagnosed with a narrowed artery. It was by accident. I was in hospital for something else and they found it.

It was pretty surreal sitting across from my cardiologist while he laid it all out. I had coronary artery disease at 45, and he was considering all options, including a bypass. Was this really happening to me? Really?

Eventually he decided on coronary angioplasty. A small titanium tube is inserted into the artery to widen it.

He didn’t need to tell me twice that I had to stop smoking. He said he could give me drugs to regulate my blood pressure, and drugs to thin my blood, and more drugs to reduce my cholesterol, but the simple act of giving up smoking would do me more favours than all of those drugs combined.

I went to my GP, who referred me to the practice nurse (she was great by the way), and it was decided I should try a drug called Champix. You start on a low dose for a week, then it gets upped. For the first month you continue to smoke as normal, with weekly checks at the surgery. After a few weeks, my fags started to taste disgusting. Just rancid. All I was getting was a rancid, acrid taste in my mouth with each one. Naturally I was less inclined to smoke, and my intake slowed to about 25%.

On my next visit to the surgery, I asked the nurse if the drugs made cigarettes taste nasty. She laughed, and replied, “No Phil, cigarettes just taste nasty... you’ve only just realised.”

The Champix works to identify the receptors in the brain that are stimulated by nicotine. They put a screen over those receptors, and block the nicotine from reaching them. By the time you’ve been taking them for a month you could smoke 100 fags, pull on 10 litres of vape liquid, or attach 500 patches to your skin, and you ain’t getting no nicotine hit. And so you are getting no drug. No enjoyment.

The next step is that you completely stop. You chuck away your fags, lighters, ashtrays, and any other smoking paraphernalia you may have. Bin it all. You continue to take the drug for another 2 months, all the while being tested every week at the surgery to make sure you’re not smoking.

The hardest part is changing your habits. Having smoked for nigh on 30 years, it wasn’t easy. I recall a few days after I had stopped, I was having a nice meal one evening, when suddenly a thought shot from the back of my mind right to the front. ‘You’re not going to smoke a fag after this.’. I was overcome with what could only be described as panic. My stomach knotted, and I started to sweat. I had a few episodes like that in the weeks that followed. I guess if you beat the same path for 30 years, then suddenly change, it can f**k with your head.

The reason I came to this thread this evening is because I was reminded earlier that it has never left me. I was sat in my armchair drinking a beer, and reached to my right hand side for my fag box. I had always kept it there. How hard it is sometimes to completely remove a learned and well practiced pattern of behaviour. You do it without thinking.

I have been fag free since October 2010. My health is good, and I’m so glad I did it.

Sincere best wishes to everyone who wants to give up. You can do it if you really want to.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Ach » Tue May 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Never smoked

2nd greatest evil in the world
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Tue May 08, 2018 11:34 pm

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Can't believe people still smoke in 2018.

Only when I’m leathered tbf

Couldn’t think of anything worse when you’re sober
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Tue May 08, 2018 11:56 pm

Ach wrote:Never smoked

2nd greatest evil in the world
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Tue May 08, 2018 11:58 pm

Bloke I work with has throat cancer from smoking

Also has horrific ulcers on his legs caused by poor circulation caused by smoking

They can't operate on this legs because his chemo has to take priority

He's lost four stone and most of his hair. Lost his voice for six months

He still smokes
Last edited by UFGN on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 am

Imagine wanting to do something that costs money, makes your clothes stink, makes your breath smell like shit and destroys your health.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby UFGN » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:Imagine wanting to do something that costs money, makes your clothes stink, makes your breath smell like shit and destroys your health.

You forgot ages your skin, ruins your teeth, turns you into a skiving prick at work, and turns you into an antisocial arse hole
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed May 09, 2018 3:03 am

Smoked 3-6 cigs daily between 2007-14. Around 2012 i started making a serious effort to stop. Had a few good spells where I'd go 2-3 months without smoking at all. But something would happen and I'd always relapse.

Quitting was hard and I probably wouldn't have stopped without letting other stuff in my life go to shit. I hit rock bottom and finally make a real commitment to stop.

But those small wins of smoke free months definitely played an important part in making me believe I could stop for good.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Wed May 09, 2018 5:04 am

f**k smokers who smoke in public tbh

God forbid someone try to rip cigs in my home or car.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Royal Gooner » Wed May 09, 2018 5:41 am

Fags are for fags

Or so I hear the saying goes
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby UFGN » Wed May 09, 2018 6:34 am

If anyone wants to see what evil, bullying c**** the tobacco industry really are, take twenty minutes out to watch some of John Oliver's segments on tobacco

They're on youtube

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate