Two NYPD officers shot in the head and killed

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Two NYPD officers shot in the head and killed

Postby Yago » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:57 pm

kronickaos wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
kronickaos wrote:I'm so sick of this shit. If it had been a white dude who did it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. In all honesty, those officers were probably a bit too complacent and mixed with this psycho f**k it created a situation where they lost their lives.

what i find interesting is that anyone thinks by killing cops it's going to "further" their cause against police not shooting people. If anything this will just make it worse

i agree it will make it worse at first but eventually there will be a compromise and that's the target. Right now it's only one side that feels unsafe and it shouldnt be like that.

It's a really touchy subject over here right now. I was at an Oakland Raiders game yesterday and some of the activists hung a banner which read: "Oakland - Ferguson - LA- NYC No Love for Police" it immediately started an argument between everyone in our section. People who were just celebrating together were getting in each others faces, calling each other racists and almost coming to blows... it was pretty sad to see.

I've thought about how any of this can come to a peaceful resolution, but I can't come up with much of anything aside from a drastic overhaul of how police respond to situations, but police will say that it puts them at too much risk i'm sure. One thing I do find interesting though is that as soldiers in a foreign country we had stricter rules of engagement than police here in the states. Police have shot people just because of seeing a gun in their possession, we had to wait until we were shot at and positively identify who it was before we could shoot back. Why not give police those same rules??

Maybe if police were a bit more tactically proficient instead of rolling up within 10 feet of a kid who "might" have a gun, we'd avoid more incidents.

I'm not an American, so I'm sure you've got more insight in what could be done, but for me 2 things stand out:

1) The police and their training. Like you said, it looks like they're tactically inept most of the time, just bursting onto the scene hoping for the best and shooting all that looks suspicious. More regulations and better training should be considered, I think.

2) Well, what it always comes down to. Guns. If carrying a gun wasn't as normal as it is, it could make the job much easier for the police (on top of the crime rate going down), as they wouldn't have to be afraid of getting shot at all the time. As a result, they might not be that trigger happy.
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:59 pm

kronickaos wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
kronickaos wrote:I'm so sick of this shit. If it had been a white dude who did it, we wouldn't be having this conversation. In all honesty, those officers were probably a bit too complacent and mixed with this psycho f**k it created a situation where they lost their lives.

what i find interesting is that anyone thinks by killing cops it's going to "further" their cause against police not shooting people. If anything this will just make it worse

i agree it will make it worse at first but eventually there will be a compromise and that's the target. Right now it's only one side that feels unsafe and it shouldnt be like that.

It's a really touchy subject over here right now. I was at an Oakland Raiders game yesterday and some of the activists hung a banner which read: "Oakland - Ferguson - LA- NYC No Love for Police" it immediately started an argument between everyone in our section. People who were just celebrating together were getting in each others faces, calling each other racists and almost coming to blows... it was pretty sad to see.

I've thought about how any of this can come to a peaceful resolution, but I can't come up with much of anything aside from a drastic overhaul of how police respond to situations, but police will say that it puts them at too much risk i'm sure. One thing I do find interesting though is that as soldiers in a foreign country we had stricter rules of engagement than police here in the states. Police have shot people just because of seeing a gun in their possession, we had to wait until we were shot at and positively identify who it was before we could shoot back. Why not give police those same rules??

Maybe if police were a bit more tactically proficient instead of rolling up within 10 feet of a kid who "might" have a gun, we'd avoid more incidents.

This.

I have to admit from what I've seen, the common sense of British Armed police are far superior.

I suppose its because they don't live in a climate where everyone is packing heat or they're just better trained because they seem a lot less fearful or gung ho than US officers.

Example, the Lee Rigby murder, the Armed response knew they were up against two armed suspects who have committed a murder.
They pulled up at a distance (not right on top of them) used their cars as cover and even waited while the suspects ran at them with a gun before opening fire.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby kronickaos » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Yago wrote:
kronickaos wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:

I'm not an American, so I'm sure you've got more insight in what could be done, but for me 2 things stand out:

1) The police and their training. Like you said, it looks like they're tactically inept most of the time, just bursting onto the scene hoping for the best and shooting all that looks suspicious. More regulations and better training should be considered, I think.

2) Well, what it always comes down to. Guns. If carrying a gun wasn't as normal as it is, it could make the job much easier for the police (on top of the crime rate going down), as they wouldn't have to be afraid of getting shot at all the time. As a result, they might not be that trigger happy.

The problem is that the police, as far as I know, are allowed to use lethal force if they feel their life is in jeopardy. There's such a broad spectrum of what someone considers a "life threatening situation" that it really gives police free range to shoot first and ask questions later.

Gun culture here is something that is engrained in our society as Americans. I own guns, and I've lived in states where it's open carry (you can carry your gun so long as it's visible) and while it's a nice idea, in that same state I had a gun pulled on me because some c*** on the freeway get butt hurt that I passed him. If the government tried to ban all guns, we'd be right back to 1861 only it'd be the Government vs citizens who wouldn't give up their guns.

@Diamond

I couldn't agree more. I think it's great that you guys have PC's that are unarmed but also the weapons units for violent situations. It eliminates the chances of deadly force being used when it shouldn't be. Because we have much easier access to guns here though, it would never work in the states.
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:01 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:fair play to the guy, maybe a few more should do the same

Shut up you racist c*ck!!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:11 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

calm down darling i dont see where race comes into this

i never realised that police were classified as a race.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Yago wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:Police officers are allowed to do so in the states, a police officer can shoot or kill someone and at the worst they will lose their job. I'm not going to list individual cases you can find that out yourself. But it isnt one time, it isnt 2 there's many cases where it has happened. This isnt a rare failure in the justice system it's an inherent flaw that has been there for decades and you look at cases where police officers kill unarmed civillians you will see that they dont get convicted, so i wouldnt call it a flaw i would call it an unwritten law. Police are allowed to kill unarmed people.

What? This is nonsense. That it happens more often than it should doesn't change the fact it's a failure of the justice system, not of the law. By law, police officers killing unarmed people is unjustified and thus punishable. If those officers are let off the hook, it means people are covering up for it -> Still a failure of the justice system. Corruption is a big problem, and things have to change. But, according to law, those are crimes, and people committing them are criminals. The law doesn't condone police to kill unarmed people.

Laws are put in place for them to be upheld. If nothing is done to uphold the laws then it's a meaningless law and it suggests that the act is acceptable in the society despite whatever law they have on it. In the Eric Garner case there was video evidence that could not be covered up. It caught the whole engagement, so to not charge the police officers with at least man slaughter shows that despite whatever the law says killing someone as a police officer is acceptable. There's no point having a law that says police cannot kill unarmed people when every part of the law enforcement system allows it to take place.

As i've said before, most people are trying to provide for their family so i dont see how it has any relevance really. If that was a compelling enough reason to not kill then no one ever would be killed in wars, by police etc, but at the end of the day it isnt so i dont accept that as reason enough to feel bad. The families are unlucky yes but sometimes thats just how things are.

I was merely pointing out those officers had not provoked anything, which makes their assassinations even harsher. @the bolded, there shouldn't be any reason not to kill them needed. Not killing people should be normal.

I agree it should be normal but when it isnt normal you are only stupid to act in that way. That is the environment so eutopian ideals are irrelevant. Yes those officers didnt do anything to provoke their deaths but the same goes the people police officers killed. Resisting arrest shouldnt be punishable by death the same way being a police officer shouldnt be punishable by death, in a lot of the cases people werent even resisting arrest and were still shot. That's the issue 1 group of people feeling that they are being unjustifiably killed so to react by killing other people unjustifiably is no worse. Both are bad but i would say the people who start it are worse.

if police are able to kill people who are unarmed and at worst lose their jobs then i believe everyone should have this right because police should not be above the law.

No, they shouldn't, and that has to be fixed. But really? X got away with it so let's all just go on a killing spree? NO. That is no solution, and it's only going to make things worse.

Yes it makes things worse its quite clear to see that but thats the short term sacrifice. I'm not sure why but it seems like we have been lead to believe that drastic change can come peacefully, just looking back in history will tell you that the most drastic changes, whether it's to do with voting rights, revolutions and other rights have usually come about due to violence or very extreme triggers, all these talks about peaceful protests does very little, had that been the case things would have changed well before because people definitely have been talking about it peacefully.

Now had the guy gone an killed the officers that killed eric garner maybe there would be some change, maybe there would be a lot i dont know. But i just feel personally that killing other officers that have nothing will provide internal pressures within the police force to change. Lets be honest no one wants their lives in danger because of what their dirty colleagues are doing whilst had it been the officers involved then the dirty cops would probably be more alert for that kind of thing whilst the rest continue to turn a blind eye.

No, there wouldn't. As Kronickaos said, actions like this one are only going to make things worse. The next time a cop sees a black man reaching into his pocket, he may think it's a gun and the man's another mad man coming for revenge. It's racist and stupid, but cops are going to be very tense after this. They just saw 2 of their own shot in cold blood for no reason at all.

I hate to break it to you but that is already the case for a lot of americans.

Unfortunately when your at war there are casualties and thats how i see it. A certain group of people dont feel at threat from the police so they are returning the favour.

THIS IS NO WAR. This was an assassination of 2 innocent people.

you can call it whatever you want but the assassination comes from conflict and therefore it seem retaliatory to me. The guy involved probably would have targeted someone else or no one had the police not killed and condoned the killing of eric garner

It isnt only the gun slinging gang banging black people in america that do not feel safe it's the majority. So i see no reason why the majority of the police force shouldnt feel unsafe.

yes, that's going to make it better. Your reasoning really is starting to baffle me.

it wont make it better in the short term no, but things werent getting better anyway

thats how it should be

if every person in my family doesnt feel safe because of what your doing then every person in your family shouldnt feel safe either.

Why did I waste my time on this? You're not at war with the police.

I'm not involved in this at all but like many that have replied i'm an outsider giving my opinion, you may not feel like they're at war with the police but what relevance does that have? It's not you or i that feels like they're lives are under threat. If i lived in the states knowing what i look like however, i would be on edge every time i came into contact with police, i dont think that's a nice way to live when you're a law abiding citizen and the police are supposedly meant to protect you from crime
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:48 pm

kronickaos wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:

this pretty much, i understand that not all situations can be conducted in that way, but rolling up on kids when there are no one in harms way and shooting before checking the situation is something that really cannot be excused. Yes i think the kid was stupid, but the law enforcement system (which includes the police) regularly excuses these types of tactics with the excuse that police feel under threat. I'm sorry but thats the role of a police officer.
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby UFGN » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Why did the grand dury decide that a case shouldn't proceed?

Is a jury deciding on whether or not a trial should take place really the best system?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:09 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

you have a history of racist posts, one of the lads who came from Arsenal Mania filled us in about the time you got butt hurt because a Arsenal publicity photo didn't include any black kids.

Then you encourage the murder of police because you think they have an agenda against black people!!
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:01 pm

RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

you have a history of racist posts, one of the lads who came from Arsenal Mania filled us in about the time you got butt hurt because a Arsenal publicity photo didn't include any black kids.

Then you encourage the murder of police because you think they have an agenda against black people!!

lol

i dont even know how to respond to this

your little story isnt true for one about the photo but even if it is how is it racist? how is not caring about the murder of police racist?

stop trying to play the race card

get a dictionary bro lookup racism i think you're a bit confused
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

lol

You could start with ........ "I'm sorry".
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:09 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

lol

You could start with ........ "I'm sorry".

are you trying to flirt with me?
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Royal Gooner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:09 pm

Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

lol

your little story isnt true for one about the photo but even if it is how is it racist? how is not caring about the murder of police racist?

It may not be racist, but the fact that you do not care that 2 innocent people were murdered and that you condone it is completely disgusting.
Royal Gooner
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby S&W the no1Fan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:
Salt and Wenger wrote:
RowdyRoddyPoppins wrote:

lol

lol

It may not be racist, but the fact that you do not care that 2 innocent people were murdered and that you condone it is completely disgusting.

cool i'm disgusting then
S&W the no1Fan
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Royal Gooner wrote:It may not be racist, but the fact that you do not care that 2 innocent people were murdered and that you condone it is completely disgusting.

It's worse to be honest. At least if you were racist, you'd have an agenda for not caring; but to not care at all seemingly for no reason means you don't have any sort of human compassion. That is quite disgusting.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate